FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trout in kettle ponds  (Read 1362 times)

porkpiehat

Trout in kettle ponds
« on: Apr 16, 2018, 09:44 PM »
 I fished Kettle ponds twice so far this spring and found nothing was responding to my trolling lures. People on power bait did well last weekend flyfisherman did really well fishing midge  imitations.

Is there any point trolling baitfish imitations like spoons and flies this time of year in these ponds?

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
Re: Trout in kettle ponds
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2018, 09:47 PM »
I troll along the shoreline untill i locate fish then i troll back and forth. like to troll anywhere from 8 to 20ft of water. i let out 130 ft of line and i always use a thomas colorado on one rod and a yo zuri pins minnow on the other.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2018, 09:51 PM »
I have had frustrating days trolling the kettle ponds on the cape. some days you cant buy a bite trolling. when that happens i beach the boat and fish from shore and i usually get a few.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2018, 01:13 PM »
If the fish were recently stocked, they will school together for awhile before heading off on their own.
While schooling, you may have to do a little searching to find them, but once they split up, you may find they all over but in lesser numbers.

Basically it means putting in more time fishing, which is not such a bad thing after all...
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

zwiggles

« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2018, 03:02 PM »
If there is a hatch going on.... good luck....

When there’s a hatch it’s always my most frustrating days trolling. You can see them everywhere, but..

In the past I’ve trolled wooly buggers, and small lures, as well as casted for them from the boat. Neither has been particularly successful.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2018, 03:18 PM »
If there is a hatch going on.... good luck....

When there’s a hatch it’s always my most frustrating days trolling. You can see them everywhere, but..

In the past I’ve trolled wooly buggers, and small lures, as well as casted for them from the boat. Neither has been particularly successful.

If you can see them rising match the hatch with a fly rod. Size matters.
Wicked Wec

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2018, 09:23 AM »
Two other things to consider:

1. Water is still cold so fish are shallow and spooky and not as active as they will be later. Or the holdovers are sitting on the bottom.

2. The water in kettle ponds tends to be gin clear. Wouldn't be surprised if fish move away from your boat and trolling direction as you pass over. I like to use a small inline planer board trolling for trout in gin clear lakes.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2018, 09:43 AM »
When I was at Peter's Saturday. The water was turquoise and cloudy. Must of been because of the rain. Fishing stunk.

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Apr 25, 2018, 10:20 AM »
Interesting. Most of the kettle ponds I have fished have no inlet or outlet so they aren't prone to becoming turbid from rainfall.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #9 on: Apr 25, 2018, 10:30 AM »
My dad was thinking possibly acidity from the rain could of done it. Idk if that's true or possible.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Apr 25, 2018, 10:31 AM »
My dad was thinking possibly acidity from the rain could of done it. Idk if that's true or possible.

Could be a stressor and slow them down. I understand some of those cape ponds actually had to be treated with lime in the past.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.