FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: pontoon boats  (Read 1361 times)

pro guige

pontoon boats
« on: Jul 28, 2010, 12:58 AM »
I have a 18 foot lund and 40 merc, My wife is desabled and likes to go boating with me, Our problem is she can last a hour or two sitting in her chair but then needs to rest or go home, We live on a huge lake in Northern mb. canada, I was thinking of buying a big inboard outboard, something that wont bounce her around so much, she has a bad back and hip due to a car accident
How do those pontoon boats ride? are they really expensive, can a person rest comfortably on them>

tbfisherman

• FISH SAFE FOR YOUR LOVED ONES
Re: pontoon boats
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2010, 03:08 AM »

Just go to your local Marina and ask someone there who owns a Pontoon Boat to take you and your wife out for a spin so you can see
for yourself how they ride.
 Most people would be happy to accomodate you.
 Most Boaters and Fisherman are good helpful people.
 You could even go for a test drive of a Pontoon Boat at a Marina.

Your wife might have trouble climbing into and out of an inboard outboard.
 With a small ramp her wheel chair will fit through the gate of a Pontoon Boat right off the dock and then she can sit on a comfortable
couch on the Pontoon Boat.
 Pontoon boats do ride relatively smoothly in average water conditions.....the sharp edge at the front on the Pontoons slice through the
water.

A new 26 footer would be about 24 grand with all the bells and whistles but so would a big inboard outboard.
 Pontoon boats range from 18 ft to 30 ft.....a good size is around 22 to 24 ft and they can seat up to 10 people.
 You can always buy used and there lots of good ones out there but personally I would stay fairly new for the motor anyway because a
Pontoon Boat isn't really a planning hull especially with low horsepower and they use a fair amount of fuel.
 I would go with a 4 stroke outboard motor or the newer fuel efficient 2 strokes like the Evinrude ETEC's

Hope this helps you a little.
Bob

Lifeguard

« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2010, 10:08 AM »
From my experiences on a pontoon boat, I would say that that could be just what you need.  They ride extremely stable and don't bounce much in the waves.  As far as price goes, they are not much more than an aluminum v-hull with full windshield.  I was considering one when I bought my boat, and I could have got a real nice 28 foot pontoon with a 90 4-stroke for the same price I paid for my Legend 18 Xcaliber with the 115 4-stroke.  See if you can get on one, and see what you think.  You might even be able to get a dealership to take you out for a cruise if they think you are real serious about buying one. 

combsey going to catchem

« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2010, 02:36 PM »
i own a pontoon boat and they are great    they are so much more comfortable then other boats i have owned and they have plenty of room on them for you and company or pets   my only thing is to do some looking and get what you like thats in your price range they come with all kinds of options and sizes

Lifeguard

« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2010, 07:13 PM »
I have a 18 foot lund and 40 merc, My wife is desabled and likes to go boating with me, Our problem is she can last a hour or two sitting in her chair but then needs to rest or go home, We live on a huge lake in Northern mb. canada, I was thinking of buying a big inboard outboard, something that wont bounce her around so much, she has a bad back and hip due to a car accident
How do those pontoon boats ride? are they really expensive, can a person rest comfortably on them>

Were abouts are you in Northern Manitoba, I may be able to get you on one if you are in teh right place.

northlyon

« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2010, 08:21 PM »
I would vote pontoon, nice and roomy. like mentioned a ramp off the dock and your golden! good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.