FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: When do you start fishing for bullheads?  (Read 17737 times)

busler15

When do you start fishing for bullheads?
« on: Mar 11, 2007, 05:24 PM »
Well, Bullheading is usually the first open water fishing of the year for me. Im sooo ready

When do you guys start. April? May? June? How bout water temps?

And where would your first place to look be?

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
Re: When do you start fishing for bullheads?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2007, 06:33 PM »
I find bullheads hit any time there is open water. I can not find them through the ice. I just use a large nightcrawler, toss it out to the bottom after dark, and wait.

Fishing is life

MIRC!

busler15

« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2007, 06:35 AM »
Boy am I getting anxious. The ice on a couple small streams near by are open, but i dont know after this noreaster that just blew in.

Forcast for next week in my area should open them up a little I hope

MuskyHunter-

• Something toothy this way comes!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2007, 07:05 AM »
My grandfather used to say bullheads will really turn on when the first apple tree blossoms bloom! ::)
Eddie D.         NYRC member   

fish_finder

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 10:51 AM »
Usually late in May when the water has gone down and warmed up a bit...favorit baits are freshwater clams and nightcrawlers and my absolute favorit are chunks of gaspereau or smelt
Fishing isn't a hobby it's an addiction

joejv4

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 12:49 PM »
My grandfather used to say bullheads will really turn on when the first apple tree blossoms bloom! ::)

Well, my apple tree is in bloom now, guess it's time to get some bullhead!  Crappie during the day, bullhead at night - sounds like a weekend plan!
Gone fishin'

johndeere540

« Reply #6 on: Jul 09, 2007, 02:17 PM »
Probably the middle of may you can get them anywhere cause i have been told this is when they  start to spawn. The rivers are loaded then. Earlier they are harder to catch because they are a warm water fish that doesnt move out of the mud much in cold water. I did manage to catch one through the ice a few years ago while night fishing for walleye. Boy was I suprised.

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #7 on: Jul 09, 2007, 04:53 PM »
Probably the middle of may you can get them anywhere cause i have been told this is when they  start to spawn. The rivers are loaded then. Earlier they are harder to catch because they are a warm water fish that doesnt move out of the mud much in cold water. I did manage to catch one through the ice a few years ago while night fishing for walleye. Boy was I suprised.

Doesn't surprise me one bit. I get them thru the ice with some frequency, all have been late to the very last fishable ice but they are out and about.The thing that surprises me is, everytime I get one its on a shiner or other small to meduim minnow while I am trout fishing for browns or rainbows. Go figure.

For the most part and in my opinion the only time to get after the bullhead is about a month or so after ice out their flesh taste the best then. I usualy find that they also love being throw in a 5 gallon bucket with 20 or so of their freinds around that time.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

brokenline

« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2009, 01:53 PM »
right after ice off they seem to bite good right around dark and after that.. i got 25 bullheads thru the ice this year..
still waiting on free willy

goony28

« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2009, 07:06 PM »
April 1st....soon as that water temp starts to make a noticeable rise

UPSTATE

« Reply #10 on: Apr 08, 2009, 07:14 PM »
When the apple trees blossom , Thats what all the old timers will tell ya ..
just tryin to get her done

Scott Wright

• I can't right now... I've gotta go fishin!!
« Reply #11 on: Apr 19, 2009, 06:52 PM »
They're biting right now on the Muddy river near the mouth at Sebago. Good Eating!  Night fishing in the cold of April. Nice.
Scott Wright Carter

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.