FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 597ciHD DI  (Read 10457 times)

jmcm

597ciHD DI
« on: Apr 17, 2011, 10:12 AM »
Was looking for a new fishfinder any input on the 597ciHD DI

John-boat

Re: 597ciHD DI
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2011, 05:29 PM »
No real input to add.  I'm also in need a new fish finder and I think I've pretty much decided that the 597 is what I'm going to get.

I'm wondering how well the maps/waypoints/gps work.

Anybody who has one have anything to say?

MTHank

« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2011, 06:49 PM »
Yes... Please, any info... ASAP!!! I am ready to buy and this 597ci HD DI is my first choice. I think?

Lifeguard

« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2011, 07:09 PM »
I believe this is a brand new unit for this year, so you probably aren't going to get a lot of feedback on it yet.  If it were me I'd look to find a few hundred more and get the 798c si and get the side imaging as well, but that's just me.

MTHank

« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2011, 11:39 AM »
What is the difference in the "ci" and the "c" on any of the Humminbird units? I can't find an explanation.

Thanks

ole sam

« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2011, 06:46 PM »
I believe that the i designated internal gps.  Without the "i" the unit doesn't have gps.  The "c" is for color display.
Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. - Mark Twain

threeten

• I fish,therefore,I lie!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2011, 09:41 PM »
What is the difference in the "ci" and the "c" on any of the Humminbird units? I can't find an explanation.

Thanks
ci=color,ice[can be set-up for mobile use]the gps is internal,built into the head
             c=color

icecube

« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2011, 10:55 AM »
  I have a 597ci Combo.  I bought it the first year they came out with the 597.  Mine is internal 16 channel gps. The next year Humminbird changed it to 50 channel. Mine has a 4.5" diagonal screen Humminbird changed that to a 5" screen now. Also higher resolution now on the screen.  Now they have added down imaging also, mine does not have it.  I still really like it though. Not a lot of difference other than down imaging. You will love it there are so many things you can do with them. I have Navionics cards for Eastern part of U.S. and all of Canada.  I recommend getting the Navionics card for your area if you can. You can mark waypoints on humps and other structure that you go over, and go right back to them. You can mark your routes on it and follow it back exactly.  Good when you get into fog and don't know the lake you are on that well. There are all kinds of things you can do with it.  I also set mine up to ice fish with it. Can see your jig and fish easily and it is inreal time too,not delayed on screen. I highly recommend them. And yes you can always spend more and get the next best model up the ladder I just didn't need it and/or could not afford it at the time. Hope you like it I do. :)

John-boat

« Reply #8 on: Apr 30, 2011, 04:26 PM »
Well I ended up buying one.   I'm working on my boat right now but should be done with it and have the 597 installed my the end of the week. Then doing a fishing trip this weekend so I'll see how she works.  I'll report back. 8)

icecube

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 07:26 AM »
 John-boat did you get a chance to check out your new 597 yet?  If so how did you like it?

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 09:28 AM »
Break the transducer yet?   Seems to be humminbirds big weakness, the transducer mount...gone through two in as many years on the Lund.

slamber

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 10:25 AM »
I'm on the same schedule. One mount per season. I suppose if something is going to break the mount is the cheapest part.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 11:07 AM »
I'm on the same schedule. One mount per season. I suppose if something is going to break the mount is the cheapest part.

yeah, but when it first happened, the 'ducer ended up bouncing around loose for about 3 seconds (while we were coming off plane) and it tore the ducer cord.

New transducers ain't cheap, and Humminbird customer service told us it was a non-issue that they would not help with.

oh well, the unit itself is awesome. No complaints there

+2 for the navionics chip also.

riot609

• best time to fish when its rainin & when it aint!
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 09:40 AM »
i just got the 597 cihd only been out twice with it but so far working great the gps is everything i wanted the nav maps are a must to have tho the base map is crap.  the fish finder works great not sure but the marking of fish not so good but i probably should play with some settings it shows great detail and fish arcs.
ill try to rember to post again after a few more uses and some tweaking. 

John-boat

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 10:50 AM »
John-boat did you get a chance to check out your new 597 yet?  If so how did you like it?

I've only been out with it once, and after about 15 min. my battery died  :'(  Should have charged it before I went out..  But in that short time looked great.  Didn't have my nivionics chip then (though I do now)  Saw some fish on the flasher and the down imaging was great.
I'm heading up north for the weekend to do some fishing so I'll report back then.  Should have some time to play around with it and figure some things out.   Hopefully it leads me to some big lakers! :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.