FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: bullheads  (Read 4701 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: bullheads
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2024, 02:08 PM »
theres bullheads out there to be caught ,just saying
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Mac Attack

« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2024, 03:11 PM »
Also, the pond at the end of 6 mile creek.
There is a campground there (Willow Beach RV Park).
We used to drive in and just fish and nobody bothered us, but that was 10+ years ago.

trapper2000

« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2024, 03:15 PM »
tell them mac said it was ok

Mac Attack

« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2024, 05:10 PM »
tell them mac said it was ok

Right Trap.

62 & Done

« Reply #19 on: Mar 19, 2024, 07:42 PM »
I heard a few peepers last night which was odd given the temps and being a bit breezy   I'm ready to go, just need to register the boat trailer and start the engine.  Waiting on the weather

62 & Done

« Reply #20 on: Mar 22, 2024, 08:22 AM »
I guess it is still mid-March, but this weather isn't doing anything for my plans of a fresh bullhead dinner. With all the warm temps earlier, I had ideas of spending a couple evenings in the boat soaking some baits. Might as well pull a package from the freezer. That's what they're there for.

trapper2000

« Reply #21 on: Mar 22, 2024, 09:55 AM »
you guys vac u pac those bullheads????

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #22 on: Mar 22, 2024, 11:45 AM »
Always Trap. I have a good stash from last spring. Might not even bother this year.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #23 on: Mar 22, 2024, 12:01 PM »
i have a vac but i think it's on it's way out  ....i kept trout perch over a year no problems i'll try some bullheads and see how they do....no walleyes i give them away and bluegills always get eatten  :D ....and you have to bullhead fish it's a tradition

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #24 on: Mar 22, 2024, 12:26 PM »
I doubt very much that I’ll be able to skip it. Maybe I’ll just have a neighborhood fish fry to empty the freezer.

Love the hiss of a Coleman gas lantern.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #25 on: Mar 22, 2024, 12:39 PM »
i was at a walmart 6 or 7 years ago ,they had a pallet  of coleman duel fuel lanterns for 5 bucks a piece i bought 20 of them....everyone in my family got a new lantern for christmas lol i kept 3 .....bullhead fishing is setting on the lake  having coffee with old roy catching a few for dinner and stores of the old days ......he gave me my hunter safety course over 55 years ago....hey  can anyone  find the  bullhead thread from last year and we can see when we all started getting  them...i got 3  white bellys from the pond  when it was warm

62 & Done

« Reply #26 on: Mar 22, 2024, 12:57 PM »
Trapp I didn't look back but in my photo library I have a pick from April 10 & 12. Both good catches and really nice nights if I remember correctly and that was only a few days after ice out.

stripernut

« Reply #27 on: Mar 22, 2024, 09:34 PM »
At least here in MA they are very active under the ice, so I am surprised you have any "wait" before they start biting...

trapper2000

« Reply #28 on: Mar 23, 2024, 03:58 AM »
oh you can pick a few  but  we are waiting for the spring run when they come in the creeks and shallows to spawn and you can catch buckets full....plus we like warmer nights  for eatting snacks drinking beer and telling bs stories.............like i said bullhead fishing is tradition

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #29 on: Mar 23, 2024, 05:18 AM »
I've got to get out for bullheads again. Been too long. My grandkids need to experience the fun of sitting on the river bank at night cooking hot dogs on the fire. As RG said, there is something about the hiss of a Coleman lantern that rounds out the night.
 4 or 5 of us would get together a couple times a season for an all nighter fishing an oxbow lake off the Genesee river. We would bring back up to 100 fish. They got put in burlap bags and tossed into a creek behind my buddy's place while we went home to sleep a bit. The next day, we would gather for the cleaning. assembly line style. There was a log there where 1 guy would nail the fish to. The next guy would cut the skin and pull it off with pliers. #3 guy cut the heads off and finished cleaning them. #4 would start the process all over. Working as a team, we could do a pile of fish in no time. We would spilt up the meat to take home but keep a bunch out then fire up the cook pot. We used a beer batter seasoned liberally with finely minced wild onions and hush puppies with onions too. A few frosty cold beers completed the feast.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.