FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Spot Lock Trolling Motor - Which One?  (Read 12599 times)

fishinator

Re: Spot Lock Trolling Motor - Which One?
« Reply #30 on: Jul 13, 2020, 08:30 AM »
lets hop[e so.  like said the choices are slim in that market.  now would be a good time for some new makers to start up.
Garmin and lowrance have recently started making trolling motors. Very pricey though.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #31 on: Jul 13, 2020, 09:52 AM »
Garmin and lowrance have recently started making trolling motors. Very pricey though.

And bass boat oriented. They are all pull rope to stow deck mount motors. No good for my deep V boat. I wanted to buy a Garmin bad.

I saw one video that was giving a review on the Ulterra, they said the trim motor failed twice on them and the second time the guy at the authorized Minn Kota service center said to store the motor in the upright position so it drains. Sure enough, 3 days after I even used my motor I went out and deployed it and it drained water out. You'd think they could seal these things.

So far my Ulterra is working flawlessly but I will admit I will be surprised if it goes 3 years as such. I use it a lot.

lowaccord66

« Reply #32 on: Jul 13, 2020, 01:16 PM »
It likely will Jethro.  My first riptide ipilot unit is still going strong on its third boat!  Mine leaks like a mofo and is fine as well.

Mac Attack

« Reply #33 on: Jul 13, 2020, 02:42 PM »
leaks from/to where?

Anyone with photos they could mark up and show me?

thanks

Jethro

« Reply #34 on: Jul 14, 2020, 09:50 AM »
It likely will Jethro.  My first riptide ipilot unit is still going strong on its third boat!  Mine leaks like a mofo and is fine as well.

Yeah I have an original Powerdrive from 2004 that I still use on my little 14' Starcraft. It amazes me every time I use it. That was money well spent, I hope I get a similar experience from my Ulterra.

bassin212

« Reply #35 on: Jul 15, 2020, 11:02 AM »
lots of great info on here! wouldn't another option be powerdrive with I-Pilot? Looks like they make some PowerDrive trolling motors with the I-Pilot feature already on it, which would include spot lock? It's about half the cost of the Terrova

Jethro

« Reply #36 on: Jul 17, 2020, 09:25 AM »
lots of great info on here! wouldn't another option be powerdrive with I-Pilot? Looks like they make some PowerDrive trolling motors with the I-Pilot feature already on it, which would include spot lock? It's about half the cost of the Terrova

Oh sure, you don't have to spend as much as the Terrova to get spot lock. For that matter I think you can add i-pilot to a legacy powerdrive motor if you already own one. It's not even a ton of money if I understand right.

SLAYERFISH

« Reply #37 on: Jul 17, 2020, 09:34 AM »
I've had 4 Minnkotas since 1992. All have performed flawlessly.  I had a Powerdrive 12v 55lb that I installed a "kit" that gave it autopilot and spot lock including the remote. It was like $400 10 years ago. Don't know if they still sell the kit?

Like I said-
https://www.tristatetrollingmotor.com/inc/sdetail/minn_kota_i_pilot_power_drive_v2/604/1226

Jethro

« Reply #38 on: Jul 17, 2020, 09:44 AM »
Oh that's more money than I thought it was but still not horrible.

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #39 on: Jul 17, 2020, 10:05 AM »

I have a powerdrive with I-pilot on my Nitro, been good to me for 6 or 7 years now. I used to run a cable steer 24 volt 80 pound thrust motorguide but didn't like the way an extra group 31 battery at the transom made it handle so downgraded to a 12 volt 55 pound and it has no problems controlling my 18' bassboat, spot lock works well in all but the windiest conditions. and 80 pounds off the back of the boat makes a big difference in the way it handles when getting silly with the built optimax...

bassin212

« Reply #40 on: Jul 17, 2020, 11:21 AM »

bassin212

« Reply #41 on: Jul 17, 2020, 11:32 AM »
I have a powerdrive with I-pilot on my Nitro, been good to me for 6 or 7 years now. I used to run a cable steer 24 volt 80 pound thrust motorguide but didn't like the way an extra group 31 battery at the transom made it handle so downgraded to a 12 volt 55 pound and it has no problems controlling my 18' bassboat, spot lock works well in all but the windiest conditions. and 80 pounds off the back of the boat makes a big difference in the way it handles when getting silly with the built optimax...

Stealth, when using a powerdrive, once you have I-Pilot you have to use the remote correct? it's my understanding you can't have the foot pedal and I-Pilot running at the same time? that will be weird for me! I've always had cable steer

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #42 on: Jul 17, 2020, 03:29 PM »

Stealth, when using a powerdrive, once you have I-Pilot you have to use the remote correct? it's my understanding you can't have the foot pedal and I-Pilot running at the same time? that will be weird for me! I've always had cable steer

You are correct... It's one or the other. I don't have a pedal for mine just the fob. It takes some getting used to but once you adjust you'll realize that the pedal is a pain. I just keep my fob on a lanyard clipped to a belt loop, now I can walk all over the deck while still under control. I don't get a sore back anymore from always standing in the same position with one leg locked strait and the other always on the pedal.

Jethro

« Reply #43 on: Jul 21, 2020, 10:58 AM »
Yep, I agree, I was almost certainly going to buy a foot pedal for my Ulterra, since the salt water version doesn't come with one. I'm used to using a pedal too with my Powerdrives. After using the remote I have zero desire for a foot pedal. The wireless remote is just awesome. I did get the micro-remote and it's fantastic for bass fishing.

lowaccord66

« Reply #44 on: Jul 21, 2020, 11:44 AM »

I have the fob and a pedal.  You can indeed use both but one will override the other. My buddy loves the pedal but doesn't like it when I mess with him using it by pressing the remote.  The newer pedals have all the same functionality as the remote.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.