FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 514634 times)

seamonkey84

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #3660 on: Jul 08, 2020, 02:31 PM »
Tree chickens! Seriously with the squirrels I’d consider it a harvest, they are good eating.
I feel that in the 15 years since I had  my small grow going, I’ve forgotten how to read the signs of deficiencies and how to fertilize. In the time since, my brain had filled up with info about keeping and growing corals and aquatic plants, then fishing and wine making. Plus there’s a forum for every subject/hobby.
 On that note, I’m going to move my pepper plants to grow indoors this fall, so maybe if I make a closet vegetable garden it’ll come come back to me lol. I have strong led lights from my reef tanks and freshwater plants, plus fluorescent fixtures and hope to keep them fully lit and happy until spring. I also have a dwarf primocane (everbearing) Blackberry plant, I’m wondering what a rooted cutting would do if grown indoors.  if I can get it to bloom and set fruit in middle of winter would be awesome. Imagining going out ice fishing and having fresh homegrown berries to snack on lol.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

seamonkey84

« Reply #3661 on: Jul 08, 2020, 02:37 PM »
Your a funny man...

::) ::) ::)

Seamonkey just curious what you are going to do with these potted plants come winter? I know you are going to bring in the peppers which is good. But look up what to do as far as watering and the amount of light.
 And the other ones , unless you have a plan I don't know about,  the roots are just going to freeze.  They need a  cooling period but not frozen roots.  Just saying...
Ive read they will be ok if kept in a sheltered but unheated area like a garage or shed. I’m going to stick them in the bulkhead to my basement. There are people with more mature plants in 25gal and bigger grow bags/tubs and they just wrap with some plastic and stick close to house to shield from wind or freezing rain. The ground does indeed freeze deep here too, so freezing roots isn’t the issue as much as being exposed without mulch/snow cover.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3662 on: Jul 08, 2020, 04:41 PM »
What can I say Dom. I'm a product of the 60's.

At my age I can't tell if they're flashbacks or just another senior moment.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3663 on: Jul 08, 2020, 05:17 PM »

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fish/hunt4ever

« Reply #3664 on: Jul 08, 2020, 09:10 PM »
Quick question on drying the garlic do you have to put it in a cool dry place to dry or can it just be in a dry area. The wife has some that is getting ready to be picked just never done it before. Thanks

seamonkey84

« Reply #3665 on: Jul 08, 2020, 10:12 PM »
I haven’t grown garlic, but I really like this guys methods.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3666 on: Jul 09, 2020, 02:44 AM »
I didn't watch the video. ...but, mine gets about 3 weeks in the garage hanging bundles of 5-6 heads from the rafters. I cut off the stalk leaving about 8" on the bulb and tie them in bundles with whatever string I have. Sometimes they hang out longer depending on how much water they got prior to harvesting. I figure mine are ready for storage when the stems are completely dry. When they're dry I nip off the stem and roots and brush off the dry soil and skin.

Be kind to your garlic. Don't bump and bruise it when getting it ready to cure. I use an old paint brush to remove some of the soil before hanging. If your soil is compacted ( mine is not in the raised beds) use something to loosen the soil around the bulbs. Don't just yank them out of the ground.

Some folks lay them out on screened racks and such. Racks take up a lot of room and sit around for the rest of the year. A dozen or so cup hooks in the garage rafters never get in the way. I store the bulk of my garlic in the basement hanging in a mesh bag. Don't remember where I got the bag. Might have come with some practice golf balls. Any mesh bag will work or just hang the bundles . Of course, your basement will have a sweet garlic taint.....but that never bothered me.

I still have a dozen or so heads from last year. That are in fine shape albeit sprouting a little. Those are sitting in our hanging vegetable basket in the kitchen. I'll throw those in the dehydrator and make garlic powder.

I've picked half of my garlic so far. Grew about 160 this year. My neighbors love it when I make garlic deliveries.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #3667 on: Jul 09, 2020, 12:03 PM »
All I know is it hasn't rained for two weeks, with highs in the 90's, so all I've been doing is watering the gardens and flowers! Would love to see some rain to give me a break! Looks like a front is finally headed this way tomorrow! 

How about you?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

seamonkey84

« Reply #3668 on: Jul 09, 2020, 02:22 PM »
A day or two is forecasted to be 80-85 here for this coming week, but lots of mid 70s with partly cloudy days and chances of scattered thunder all week. Basically not enough sun or rain

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3669 on: Jul 09, 2020, 02:52 PM »
90's and no signs of rain . Just a maybe...possibly.

Rg

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #3670 on: Jul 09, 2020, 10:57 PM »
We got a few spotty small T-storms in the Buffalo area but most of it stayed over Lake Erie. A better chance of rain Sat & Sun. I hope so. Between the lawn, gardens and food plots we sure need it

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #3671 on: Jul 10, 2020, 06:23 AM »
We have had rain on and off this past week, but it will be interesting to see how my tomato plants, which look more like trees, handle Tropical Storm Fay. Hopefully the rainfall isn’t very heavy

taxid

« Reply #3672 on: Jul 11, 2020, 07:51 AM »
We ended up with a quick quarter inch from the front and that was it. Back to watering every morning! At least it cooled off a little.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #3673 on: Jul 11, 2020, 09:04 AM »
Here’s my garden after a week of neglect due to camping, with another 4 days of neglect starting Monday as we are back camping. Pardon the weeds, those will be taken care of after Tropical Storm Fay passes through.

The Forrest of Tomato Plants. Lots of flowers, some green tomatoes in there so far

Brussel Sprouts (for the princess’s pet rabbit) and tomatoes

Pickles on the left, green beans on the right

Hot peppers

Jalapeño peppers and tomatoes (opposite side of the Brussel sprouts)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3674 on: Jul 11, 2020, 09:06 AM »
What weeds?  :o
 Looks great...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.