FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: monofilament birdsnests  (Read 2809 times)

crazycrawler

monofilament birdsnests
« on: Apr 17, 2005, 08:23 PM »
When I put new line on my spinning reels it seems to jump off and form birdsnest tangles the first few times I go out then gets better as the season goes on. I never had this problem back in the 60's, 70's and 80's until the newer limp and no memory lines came out. Each year it seems to get worse. Am I putting too much line on, holding the tension too tight, should I roll it off the spool or take it off the end like it comes off a reel? Any ideas or is it a characteristic of modern monofilament? Thanks for any opinions.

Original FISHER Jodoin

Re: monofilament birdsnests
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2005, 08:29 PM »
I roll mine off the spool.. and even so often stop, and see if it tangles off the spool type thing.. if i t does, then yur doing sumthin wrong.. try different tensions 2.
GIT _ R _ DONE

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2005, 08:51 PM »
sounds like maybe a little too much line on the spool.
Scotty 

troutman

« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2005, 08:52 PM »
The way I put line on my reels, I thread the line through all the guides on the rod and I have somebody hold the spool with the new line with a pencil with some tension. I reel slowly to I get what I want on my reel. I never have a problem with line twist.
Ray

LoneStar

« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2005, 09:33 PM »
I had the same problem today with one of the kids reel, funny thing is that the same line is on 2 other reels with no problem, maybe a bad swivel thing I was thinking, or I also notice that the problem child also has a smaller spool on it.  All were put on the same day, same way with spool flat on ground and finger tension on line when spooling.
Don't matter how good you are, you won't get'em all!  Don't matter how bad you are, you'll still get some!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2005, 04:35 AM »
You have to wind the line on the spool in the same direction as the factory spool. I built my "spooler" to avoid these constant hassles and save a bit of $$$ over having the bait shop fill my reels.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2005, 04:58 AM »
nice job RG!! i may just have to build one. ive been thinking of building one and using a cordless drill for power
Scotty 

devil-man

« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2005, 05:52 AM »
You have to wind the line on the spool in the same direction as the factory spool.

That's a nice little machine, RG.
I lay the spool of line on the floor. With Berkley they reccomend the label be up.
Check periodically to make sure that it's going on your reel straight and not twisted.
If it does start to twist simply flip the spool over on the floor.
I've never really had a problem with mono.
Fluorocarbon is a different story...

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Apr 18, 2005, 06:33 AM »
First off everything said here is true Here is my .02 cents on this. I think you spolled the line backwards to how it come off the filler spool and highly possible you over spooled the reels with line. After I spool a reel I take the full spool off the reel and soak it in warm water for a few min. the warm water makes the new line take a memeory to the little spool of the reels and it helps eleminate all those birdnests. You might want to try it but the best thing to do is peel off the line and put it back on the filler spool then turn the spool upside down so the line comes off on the oppsite side it went on say it went back on the filler  spool with the line on the top now make the line go back on the reel from the bottom. this might help straighten it out. One other thing is be sure that when the kids catch a fish and even you do not crank the line against the drag this will add a ton of twist to the line no matter what kind of swivel you are useing.
Cold Feet
Did you put the plug in the boat?

seaweed01

« Reply #9 on: Apr 18, 2005, 09:09 PM »
I do the same thing as Devil-Man and have no problems.

kerosenecounty17

« Reply #10 on: Apr 18, 2005, 09:58 PM »
Best way I've found is to "run" your line out.  I flip the bail on my rod, jog out 100 or so yards and then cut off that line.  Then I tie on the new line, jog out the same distance with the filler spool, snip it off and real it in with a little tension.  With new reels I just spool it on and drag the line behind the boat (no bait or weight attached) the first time out.  Works pretty good for me.

kc17

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.