FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hardest And Weakest Fighting Freshwater Fish  (Read 34869 times)

big big rdg

Re: Hardest And Weakest Fighting Freshwater Fish
« Reply #45 on: Mar 30, 2005, 08:42 PM »
Catfish are also pretty hard fighters :laugh:
FSHON!

big big rdg

« Reply #46 on: Mar 30, 2005, 08:43 PM »
BigRed where can you catch them striper hybrids? I live in Massachusetts and would love to rip in one of them things!LOL
FSHON!

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #47 on: Mar 30, 2005, 09:02 PM »
There are a bunch of them in eastern colorado. We don't have any here west of the continental divide though :'(

PGKris

• Master of the micro leech
« Reply #48 on: Mar 31, 2005, 10:44 AM »
There are a bunch of them in eastern colorado. We don't have any here west of the continental divide though :'(

Hey! Don't you be crying about being west of the divide! If they all knew how good it was over here there wouldn't be any eastern boards........they'd all have moved here! Come on! You'd trade bull trout, goldens or grayling for some kind of gentically confused bass?! ::) ;D Sorry no harm intended! ;D

Sailing team

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

toguetaker

« Reply #49 on: Mar 31, 2005, 02:12 PM »
  How about the alligator gar for a fighter????? They are mean and nasty.

archbishop

« Reply #50 on: Mar 31, 2005, 02:16 PM »
ever try to open a can of tuna with a cheap leatherman now thats a fight ;)

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #51 on: Mar 31, 2005, 02:44 PM »
BigRed where can you catch them striper hybrids? I live in Massachusetts and would love to rip in one of them things!LOL

they used to be stocked in a few select bodies of water in NY, but i dont believe that is the case any longer. I never got the opportunity to tussel with one myself, but i have caught white bass and stripers...they fight well.  I have handled hatchery wipers, though

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #52 on: Mar 31, 2005, 04:18 PM »

they used to be stocked in a few select bodies of water in NY, but i dont believe that is the case any longer. I never got the opportunity to tussel with one myself, but i have caught white bass and stripers...they fight well.  I have handled hatchery wipers, though
Whities and stripers fight good, but I don't know anywhere in Ny where wipers can be found. I would like to know, if anyone can tell me, I'd appreciate it very much. I know a guy who flyfished for them once, I forget where though. He said they fought great. :)

bigbrother

« Reply #53 on: Mar 31, 2005, 08:07 PM »
salmon and steelhead are great but they're not freshwater fish, except for a few landlocked salmon.  not trying to bust b*lls but saltwater fish have an edge and salmon live most of there lives in the salt.

just to be different i'll say carp, i've never had anything from freshwater smoke a reel like a carp, no jumping though.

weakest in my experience is a toss-up between lakers and walleye.

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
« Reply #54 on: Mar 31, 2005, 08:27 PM »
salmon and steelhead are great but they're not freshwater fish, except for a few landlocked salmon.  not trying to bust b*lls but saltwater fish have an edge and salmon live most of there lives in the salt.

You are right to a certain extent but i believe if you can fish for them in freshwater they are a legitamate awnser for the forum. Also Some of the strongest most fished for species are great lakes salmon that don't inhabit saltwater at all. Also because i work for fish and game i know one point you made that is false for some salmon is you last because some salmon spend an equal amount of time in fresh and salt. Silver salmon spend 2 years in freshwater and 2 years in salwater, red salmon spend 2 in freshwater and 1 or maybe 2 in saltwater.
I've never been to heaven, but i have fished  in  Alaska.

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #55 on: Mar 31, 2005, 10:02 PM »
Catfish are very hard fighters. They aren't particularly fast but they pull very hard and can use current and bottom snags to their advantage like no other fish.
Alligator Gar would be an awesome fish to experience. It's really said they started killing so many gar just because they thought they ate tons of bass and other gamefish, when it was true they only contributed a little bit to natural gamefish mortality. They just slaughtered them and now they are almost threatened in some areas. I see the same mistake being made with the Northern Pike in my area now, which is one of the truly finest gamefish in the world.
I have heard that the hardest fighters in the world, both overall and pound for pound, are the amazon catfish, new guinea bass, congo tigerfish, taimen (giant salmonid), and the mahseer, a carp like fish that lives in streams of central asia in the himalayan drainages.

Tyler

keny

• I like it wet
« Reply #56 on: Apr 02, 2005, 12:37 AM »
strongest would be salmon for me--I`m originaly from atlantic canada.Since moving to Manitoba likely northern pike.I never fished bass though.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #57 on: Apr 02, 2005, 01:08 PM »
salmon and steelhead are great but they're not freshwater fish, except for a few landlocked salmon. 

if you consider landlocked atlantic salmon freshwater, then why not landlocked steelhead and coho salmon(great lakes)?  They are basically a freshwater fish that had developed the metabolic processes to continue ONE stage of their life in saltwater.  Just one stage of their life is saltwater for those anadromous fish on the west coast - same reason that you can't consider american eels a freshwater fish, they are catadromous, and only one of their life stages is in freshwater.

alfed

• "A good fishing day, Is just getting away awhile"
« Reply #58 on: Apr 02, 2005, 07:28 PM »
pound for pound I would put my money on the small mouth, But once caught a 18lb altantic salmon off the downrigger, the ball was 7ft down when he hit the ball came right out of the water it pulled my little boat for 15 minuted before I could turn it. It may be the exception but none the less the best big fish fight I ever had. The weakest fight would have to be a lake trout they hit good but give up easy.

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
« Reply #59 on: Apr 07, 2005, 01:07 PM »
Smallies
Steelies or some salmon
Carp are awesome and the kids love em, take plenty of line.

Weak
Lakers
Walleye especially on deep water gear
SUCKERS

My 2 cents.
Internet heros give it a rest!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.