FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: freezing fish?  (Read 3899 times)

Marcus

freezing fish?
« on: Jul 16, 2006, 10:39 AM »
I have not yet found a good way to freeze fish for a later date. usually ends up soft and loses alot of its taste. I was just wondering if anyone knows a good way ?

Eye Hunter

Re: freezing fish?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2006, 11:29 AM »
Marcus,  One of the best ways to freeze fish I have found is to take a cardboard milk carton put the whole fish after cleaning , into the milk carton fill the milk carton with fresh water seal it up and put it in the freezer and freeze the whole block solid. when you are ready for fish take out the carton and thaw. fish taste like they were just caught. works good for small fish like smelt. crappie, perch. etc ;D

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2006, 06:36 PM »
I firm the fish up in the freezer, then I vacuum pack them with my food saver. Never have i had freezer burn or fish that tasted like "freezer".

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2006, 07:53 PM »
I prefer the freeze in water method but make sure none of the fillets are exposed....I've had perch 6 or more months later that taste just as fresh as the day they were caught....dont know about walleye...they just dont last long in the freezer....gotta eat em and enjoy them....Grump

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2006, 12:44 AM »
I prefer the freeze in water as well.  I use ziplock bags.  Found when writing on the label first works best-  I put the fillets in, fill with cold water, squeeze the bag expelling the air and as much water as possible still leaving the fillets covered and place into the freezer flat until frozen.  Then stack the bags.  Keeps for a very long time.  Walmart freezer bags work fine (and much cheaper than official "Ziplock")  Did I mention writing on the label first?  ::)

I've tried using containers such as milk cartons but darn it if some of those precious fillets don't find it to the air and get freezer burn.  Non-frost free freezers work best as frost free one's seem to accelerate freezer burn and dry stuff out.

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2006, 01:28 AM »
I also freeze in water, making sure none of the fillets are exposed, too. Freezer bag, water totally covering the fillets and squeeze as much air as possible and try to lay them flat or in a nice upright postion, that is why you need enough water in the bag. Never had a problem either with any fish going bad.
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

hunters08

« Reply #6 on: Aug 04, 2006, 04:15 PM »
I vacume pack now,used to freeze the whole fish in water but have'nt had a problem with the vacume packer at all, saves alot of room with the vacume packer.
If i'm not fishing than i hope i'm turkey hunting!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.