FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A close call for camp.  (Read 5196 times)

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
A close call for camp.
« on: May 30, 2006, 10:20 AM »
This weekend I went up to Lake George, NY to my camper. When I arrived Friday afternoon this is what I found.

It destroyed my patio furniture, put holes in my outdoor carpeting, put a 2 inch hole in the side of the camper, and left a mess to clean up. Luckily the camper was not hurt nor was anyone staying in it when it hit. After cutting up the log, duct tape over the hole, and some new patio furniture from Wal-mart, I got camp back up to good as new.

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
Re: A close call for camp.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 10:32 AM »
Wow, close call is right.  Looks like a great little camp.  I'm glad for your sake that it's still standing.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

Pikeguy

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 10:36 AM »
Wow, must have been a pretty good storm! Glad things are ship-shape again ;)

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 11:03 AM »
I'm glad I wasn't up. Where it fell is my favorite spot to sit and relax even when it is storming out. I would have been crushed. The campground it is on lost over 50 trees. No campers were damaged but a few people lost their boats when the trees fell. :'(

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 11:15 AM »
One of my friends was almost killed by a falling pine a few years ago.  We got back to the dock just as one of those quick, heavy summer storms blew up.  It was a real deluge but didn't look to last that long.  He took cover in some pines while I ran under the park shelter.  With all the that water falling, the call of nature soon overtook him.  Just as he was finishing his business, we heard a huge crack.  He hit the dirt and the falling pine was prevented from crushing him by the bed of somebody's truck.  It was that close.  Now we joke that your reflexes are always faster when you've got your prized possession in your hand. ;D
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

Robb

• Upstate NY
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 12:29 PM »
Nice camping spot!! Glad it wasn't destroyed!
Robb

PerchandPans

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 02:52 PM »
Thank goodness for duct-tape !  Glad you  were not injured , they call the dead pines and firs here widowmakers for good reason.  Great camper ,is that a shasta , we have many vintage ones in this area (30 miles from Mt. Shasta ,California)

Fishingking

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 10:38 PM »
Close call indead I love the chair :)
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 06:38 AM »
Thank goodness for duct-tape !  Glad you  were not injured , they call the dead pines and firs here widowmakers for good reason.  Great camper ,is that a shasta , we have many vintage ones in this area (30 miles from Mt. Shasta ,California)

Yes it is a 1970 shasta. The owner of the campground gave it to me for free. The previous owners skipped out of the campground while still owing alot of money to the owner in rent. After not hearing from the owners of the trailer for 3 years, he took it in lieu of payment and gave it to me. Nice deal.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 02:00 PM »
Man that was one nasty storm, good thing no one was hurt, also good thing that pine did not land on your camper.

Nice spot you found though. :)

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Big Burk

« Reply #10 on: Jul 28, 2006, 01:26 AM »
close call there glad it didnt hit the camper. look around your camp for dead pines and firs and ask permition to cut them down and offer to put half of it in the campground woodpile or so.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.