FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: October- November....Building to Prime Time  (Read 1464 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
October- November....Building to Prime Time
« on: Dec 03, 2023, 07:12 PM »
The best Fall fishing seems to arrive later each year.  It used to be "off and running" when the clock struck October, but that is often no longer the case.  This year, the action hit its stride around October 27.  Prior to that, it was a pretty slow go.

Early on, I hit few native brookies at higher elevation ponds.  Fall scenery made for a nice backdrop.

Some other mountain ponds received relatively early Fall stockings.  Clearly not natives, but fun on light gear. 

At lower elevations, fast action on non-salmonids filled in the gaps.

After about Week #3 in October, I was able to find a higher gear.  Splake are a favorite of mine, especially in the Fall.  As water temps dropped into the low 50's, I got into a mix of holdover and freshly stocked fish at various spots.  One 19 fish day was particularly memorable. 

There were also brookies and browns in the mix at several spots, including one of the best inland browns I have caught in recent years.

In early November, I set my sights on trip to Western NY.  I lived out there in the late 80's/early 90's and try to get back at least once a year.  On these trips, I often split my time between Great Lakes or their tribs and inland waters.  This year, I started on the Great Lakes side.  Shorefishing was tough.  On the other hand, I was able to make it down and back up the 300 plus stairs to the Niagara Gorge shoreline for the first time since I broke both my legs.  A victory, even if the bites were few and far between 8)

The boat fishing on the big river was a different story.  I converge on NY with friends who travel up from mostly Maryland or PA.  I met this group when I was serving in the DC area in the early 80's, and started this traditional gathering when I was living outside Buffalo and learned that area.   Some of the guys have introduced boats into the mix, and no doubt that drifting with pencil lead and mainly bead set-ups is effective!  Good times and mix of lake trout, steelhead, and big smallies 8)

Can't believe it's been 35 plus years since I started fishing in that area.  Scary how the time has flown by!  Then again, as a throwback pic shows, I guess the more things change, the more they stay the some ;D

I took the long way back to Maine and spent some time on NY's Southern Tier ponds.  The brookies were unique in my experience to terms of girth.  Most of them exceeded "football".......almost like they swallowed frisbees :o  No legit 20" fish, but high teen inch fish were plenty with their physiques.  The ponds typically had weedy drop-offs that seemed ripe for a jig suspended under a bobber.  That worked for a few, but most chased down spoons cast parallel to the outside weed edge.

The swing through NY produced 5 species of salmonids.  I'm familiar with the "Hat Trick".  Is 5 species called..."Cinqo de Salmon" :o

Back to Maine for the latter part of November.  I always try to get in one trip to the salt for pollock.  The weather cooperated and I got into double digits of fish on small spoons.  The bikinis are gone, but it's also great people watching even this late in the year.  Pics provided of fish and wildlife only ;)

November was a cooler than average month.  By the end of the month, skim ice made an appearance on the ponds.  I took one skunking before I adjusted for lethargic fish in 36-40* water.  It took a micro jig suspended under a bobber to trigger fish........both splake and brookies.  All the better to tip the jig with bait, where legal.  Another angler's success also emphasized the importance of fishing till dark right before ice in.

I can't explain the very late open water season "night bite" pattern, but I ran into it years ago when fishing for December browns in the dark.  This "retro" picture from years ago shows a nice one in my camera flash.  I miss those days of big browns in Maine, and hope they return.  I've lost a step or 2 in my game at this point, but the problems with this species run much deeper up here. :-\

I rode the bobber and jig pattern into December 1st to add a month to my open water streak while the catching was still good.....it gets progressively tougher from hereon out.  I had the pleasure of fishing with "TightLines Maine" from this forum on that day 8)  One of the splake that day was particularly festive!

Happy Holidays, everyone!  Be safe.  Catch fish 

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
Re: October- November....Building to Prime Time
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2023, 06:02 AM »
Good fall report jim! Those NY fish dwarf any fish we have here haha. Thanks for sharing.

iceman260

« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2023, 07:40 AM »
Nice report Jim C some real nice fish there.

Jim C.

« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2023, 10:59 AM »
Thanks, Nick.  It often comes down to POUNDS vs. INCHES when comparing the states.  With that said, a lot of the shorefishing spots in NY are crowded.

Good fall report jim! Those NY fish dwarf any fish we have here haha. Thanks for sharing.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2023, 01:19 PM »
Wow, was waiting to see your NY pics! they don't disappoint! beautiful and big lake trout! that must've been a blast.   Decent little steelhead there too.  Those NY pond franken-brookies are something else haha!  That throwback buck brown trout you caught (at dusk) is BEAUTIFUL!  Been years and years since I've caught one that nice looking.  Including ice fishing, I think I'm 0 for 5 for splake now!  :laugh: You certainly have a knack for them and a knack for ponds in general.  Great report!

Jim C.

« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2023, 02:45 PM »
Thanks, Randall!  NY was a great trip.  Like all places, it's changed over the years, but it's still a yearly highlight.  I miss the browns of yesteryear in Maine for sure.  Hope that a comeback occurs.  Your splake success will come, but my guess is you don't care too much as long as the salmon treat you well ;)

Wow, was waiting to see your NY pics! they don't disappoint! beautiful and big lake trout! that must've been a blast.   Decent little steelhead there too.  Those NY pond franken-brookies are something else haha!  That throwback buck brown trout you caught (at dusk) is BEAUTIFUL!  Been years and years since I've caught one that nice looking.  Including ice fishing, I think I'm 0 for 5 for splake now!  :laugh: You certainly have a knack for them and a knack for ponds in general.  Great report!

fish wayniac

« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2023, 03:17 PM »
Jim, Nice fall report from Maine and NY . You got into some big fish from the drift boat. Nice throw back pic. Those Brook thought were slabs . Awesome !

Jim C.

« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2023, 07:03 PM »
Thanks, Wayne.  After a good start, December has been a TOUGH bite.  High water, not quite ice, not really open water either.   A nasty mix.

Jim, Nice fall report from Maine and NY . You got into some big fish from the drift boat. Nice throw back pic. Those Brook thought were slabs . Awesome !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.