FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Good mono for pike?  (Read 25609 times)

esox v

Re: Good mono for pike?
« Reply #30 on: Apr 14, 2009, 09:43 PM »
Boy... never gave maxima a thought. I would give it a shot. I have used it a long time drift fishing for steelies and salmon. Low stretch and abrasion resistant.
What equipment are you using ? 
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

ugp685

« Reply #31 on: Apr 15, 2009, 08:20 AM »
I also use Maxima.  I use Maxima Chameleon, it is a dark brown/burgandy color.  I use 6lb. on my ultra-light and 12lb. on the rest.  I finally got a muskie rod and a big reel to match and am going to try the 18 lb. Maxima.

Previously I have used the 12 lb. and have caught 100's of pickerel, over a dozen tiger musky, half a dozen pike, a handful of walleye, and many 6lb bass including a 21.5" smallmouth. NEVER been bitten off.

I got a snag on a windy day on a bass boat and I anchored the boat with my 12lb. maxima.  We had to cut it off with a knife, it wouldn't break. 

It says on the package it is very abrasion resistant and boy is it right.  I have tried other lines because people have told me how great they are but in the end I always come back to maxima, I will not stray away from it again though.

husb0023

« Reply #32 on: Apr 22, 2009, 12:36 PM »
Had my 20# floro bitten off this winter so I am definitely going up to 40#-80# floro this season.  I am impressed with how the floro handles, I much prefer it to steel or titanium leaders.

esox v

« Reply #33 on: Apr 22, 2009, 06:58 PM »
Had my 20# floro bitten off this winter so I am definitely going up to 40#-80# floro this season.  I am impressed with how the floro handles, I much prefer it to steel or titanium leaders.
You should just use 300# it can double as your anchor rope. Whats cool is the Fish..... they won't even see it. AMAZING !!!!

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #34 on: Apr 22, 2009, 07:26 PM »
You should just use 300# it can double as your anchor rope. Whats cool is the Fish..... they won't even see it. AMAZING !!!!

If I can find a piece of 300lb, I will send it to you. ::) The rest of us mouth breathers will just stick to our 80.

PIKE FISHERMAN

• Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based fishing.
« Reply #35 on: Apr 22, 2009, 07:37 PM »
I braid three pieces of vanish 17# flouro.

I tie three pieces of line to a hook or swivel, braid it as tight as I can. Works great, hard to see, never broke off a fish.

Definately time consuming, but worth it for ice fishing and open water.
Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based bass, pike, fly fishing, brook fishing, trolling and ice fishing. Hope to see you on the water somewhere!!

esox v

« Reply #36 on: Apr 22, 2009, 08:12 PM »
If I can find a piece of 300lb, I will send it to you. ::) The rest of us mouth breathers will just stick to our 80.

:thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:

Wheres Walleye

« Reply #37 on: Mar 18, 2010, 01:05 PM »
After reading through all the posts I'm gonna try the fluorocarbon leader material this year and was wondering how long I should make the leader? Thanks

slipperybob

« Reply #38 on: Mar 18, 2010, 04:45 PM »
About 24 inches is what I've got.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

Zoo Angler

« Reply #39 on: Mar 26, 2011, 04:12 AM »
For whoever still reads this, I caught my 28lbs pike with a 20lbs p-line flouro leader this season ice fishing without a scratch on the line. Caught a ton of pike this season without a bite off with this setup.

SWAMPGOOSE

« Reply #40 on: Apr 07, 2011, 03:07 PM »
I like 12 pound trilene MAX  love the stuff with a braid leader only 7 to 8 inches, i dont break off.
cream ale is good, rolling rock is great, but land shark is king

Mr.Esox

« Reply #41 on: Apr 19, 2011, 06:25 PM »
I like 12 pound trilene MAX  love the stuff with a braid leader only 7 to 8 inches, i dont break off.
None ,use Boa or any tieable titanium.

AmazingZombieWeapons

• If I'm not fishing, I'm planning the next trip.
« Reply #42 on: Apr 07, 2013, 03:25 PM »
12 pound Ultragreen by maxima.
I love pike.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.