FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The chu  (Read 35519 times)

taxid

Re: The chu
« Reply #330 on: May 23, 2018, 01:58 PM »
Quabbin feeds into chu - chu feeds into Sudbury - and distributed further from there. And yes, if something were to happen in quabbin it would theoretically affect the whole water system - though they can close down the pipeline in several spots

What kind of problem do they anticipate?  I was fishing area three once on Quabbin and there was a rotting deer corpse in the water. Probably slipped on the ice and broke it's pelvis. No one seemed concerned about it.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #331 on: May 23, 2018, 02:21 PM »
What kind of problem do they anticipate?  I was fishing area three once on Quabbin and there was a rotting deer corpse in the water. Probably slipped on the ice and broke it's pelvis. No one seemed concerned about it.

Who knows here?  Question is better posed to the powers that be. 

Baitbucket

« Reply #332 on: May 23, 2018, 02:36 PM »
It may have to do with its size and being located near larger cities.

I recall a few years back when they found a 40yr old car in the Chu lol

http://www.masslive.com/news/worcester/index.ssf/2013/10/car_from_1970s_found_at_bottom.html

CMD1987

« Reply #333 on: May 23, 2018, 02:39 PM »
http://www.masslive.com/news/worcester/index.ssf/2013/10/car_from_1970s_found_at_bottom.html
[/quote]

Laws of the land for 60+ years now. Don’t ask me. I’d love to take my yak out. There have been several pushes to increase access at Wachusett but they never get anywhere. State is going to be overprotective of the water supply - which part of me gets - but more could easily be done for fishermen (kayaks/canoes g d it!)

CMD1987

« Reply #334 on: May 23, 2018, 02:41 PM »

Also this - 15 mins from downtown Worcester - Wachusett would be a madhouse compared to the quabbin, and obviously much smaller.

The powers that be will also talk about safety concerns. basically they are worrying about someone pouring smallpox or anthrax into the water supply. Or trying to blow up the dam.

Just playing devils advocate... like I said, sign me up to take my yak out on the chu asap.

taxid

« Reply #335 on: May 23, 2018, 02:50 PM »
That can easily be dealt with by limiting access via creative ways. California does it on their reservoirs. I think they have a even odd number rule on boat numbers or something. Only even numbers on even numbered days and vice versa.

I see NYC reservoirs require a permit and only yaks and oar powered boats. Also have to either leave your boat there are get it steam cleaned before launching.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #336 on: May 23, 2018, 03:03 PM »
Also this - 15 mins from downtown Worcester - Wachusett would be a madhouse compared to the quabbin, and obviously much smaller.

The powers that be will also talk about safety concerns. basically they are worrying about someone pouring smallpox or anthrax into the water supply. Or trying to blow up the dam.

Just playing devils advocate... like I said, sign me up to take my yak out on the chu asap.

Oh I get it. I've dealt with the powers to be out here and been given some responses that are so stupid they insult your intelligence. One situation is our Fish & Wildlife planted lake trout in a small deep lake system and they wiped out the smelt and native cisco. A group I belonged to wanted to reestablish the smelt for a coldwater forage base for the brown and rainbow trout that are planted annually. The reason given for not planting the smelt was they are an exotic (and brown and rainbow trout are not?) and they would prey on the spawn of the native fish. However they indicate in their own surveys the lake system will never support a viable warm water native fish population. This is due to very little littoral habitat and the sterile marl bottom of the lake system. Average depth in two of the lakes is 40 feet with a maximum of 93 feet. Too much coldwater habitat for warm water fish.

Anyway, I pointed out to them when largemouth bass and bluegill are spawning the water temperature is too warm for the smelt to be in the vicinity. Just makes no sense that smelt would be in the shallow water with water temps in the upper 60's to upper 70's. 

We also badly want a bag limit on bluegill out here as the exploitation rates by anglers is incredible. Ever time we have a rules change proposal it comes up and there is a lot of support for it. But nohting happens. Not even so much as an explanation.

taxid

« Reply #337 on: May 23, 2018, 03:03 PM »

But what does that have to do with launching a boat?

zwiggles

« Reply #338 on: May 23, 2018, 03:35 PM »

Oh I get it. I've dealt with the powers to be out here and been given some responses that are so stupid they insult your intelligence. One situation is our Fish & Wildlife planted lake trout in a small deep lake system and they wiped out the smelt and native cisco. A group I belonged to wanted to reestablish the smelt for a coldwater forage base for the brown and rainbow trout that are planted annually. The reason given for not planting the smelt was they are an exotic (and brown and rainbow trout are not?) and they would prey on the spawn of the native fish. However they indicate in their own surveys the lake system will never support a viable warm water native fish population. This is due to very little littoral habitat and the sterile marl bottom of the lake system. Average depth in two of the lakes is 40 feet with a maximum of 93 feet. Too much coldwater habitat for warm water fish.

Anyway, I pointed out to them when largemouth bass and bluegill are spawning the water temperature is too warm for the smelt to be in the vicinity. Just makes no sense that smelt would be in the shallow water with water temps in the upper 60's to upper 70's. 

We also badly want a bag limit on bluegill out here as the exploitation rates by anglers is incredible. Ever time we have a rules change proposal it comes up and there is a lot of support for it. But nohting happens. Not even so much as an explanation.

But what does this have to do with the chu?

taxid

« Reply #339 on: May 23, 2018, 05:11 PM »
But what does this have to do with the chu?

Well... it has to do with the powers to be not giving in to reason.  ;D

Got it?  :o

trophyhntr

« Reply #340 on: May 26, 2018, 02:07 PM »
soaked the dace for 4 hours this morning. had a run on a 6 inch dead dace but spit it. was encouraging to see some action on a bigger than normal bait though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.