FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trout season is almost upon us  (Read 2062 times)

62 & Done

Re: Trout season is almost upon us
« Reply #30 on: Mar 23, 2024, 04:18 PM »
That fish  is impressive but that creel is outstanding! ;D ;D
[/quote

I got one just like it in a 16' version. Mine too went thru a carrying harness and I built on from leather belts  and stuff from the hardware store. I have refinished it a couple times - that is what keeps it alive. If I had to guess, it's got 45-50 yrs behind it. My father had one that was HUGE. Don't know the dimensions but it had a bunch of brookies that went thru it.

filetandrelease

« Reply #31 on: Mar 23, 2024, 10:43 PM »

That’s awesome 62
62 I always kept damp long grass , skunk cabbage leaves or ferns in the bottom and always rinsed after every  outing
 I also have my dads and grandads creels

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #32 on: Mar 24, 2024, 04:40 AM »
as a kid i was told keep wet grass in it and dunk it once in awhile keep the fish cool i have broken with tradition and i put a couple freezer pacs in it make it back to the truck i have the cooler waiting...it's a special feeling with the creel on and you fell a trout shaking in it ....i still gill and gut my trout as soon as i can.....
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

filetandrelease

« Reply #33 on: Mar 24, 2024, 08:38 AM »
 I have a cooler at the truck ,

UofLcards

« Reply #34 on: Mar 24, 2024, 02:04 PM »
I feel so old - I still look for a forked branch to cut after I catch one.  And I still hate the walk back to figure out where I laid it down in the water after I forget I laid it down.  LOL

filetandrelease

« Reply #35 on: Mar 24, 2024, 03:10 PM »

Omg I used a fork stick as a kid 👍

UofLcards

« Reply #36 on: Mar 24, 2024, 03:24 PM »
Omg I used a fork stick as a kid 👍

hahaha - yep - my grandfather and dad taught me well....

BiteMe

« Reply #37 on: Mar 24, 2024, 04:09 PM »
Fishy, Fishy in the lake, please come here and take my bait. I troll and jig you take my hook, and then I take you home to cook.

UofLcards

« Reply #38 on: Mar 24, 2024, 05:01 PM »
Cool - thank you !

filetandrelease

« Reply #39 on: Mar 25, 2024, 05:50 AM »

These days I don’t carry my creel,these days as  I only carry a canvas creel most all my trips takes longer to drive there than to catch 2 over 12” , some places only 1 fish , total waste of gas money , so I’m losing interest in stream fishing  so perch , walleyes , and bait fishing helps feed that hunger these days

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #40 on: Mar 25, 2024, 06:02 AM »
heres my question the state limit is  5  2 over 12 ... so i can stream fish get the stream limit then hit a pond or lake right???? so can i hit a lake first get 3 under 12 then go fish a stream for my 2 over 12????
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

UofLcards

« Reply #41 on: Mar 25, 2024, 07:01 AM »
heres my question the state limit is  5  2 over 12 ... so i can stream fish get the stream limit then hit a pond or lake right???? so can i hit a lake first get 3 under 12 then go fish a stream for my 2 over 12????

I don't see why not - the only sticking point might be if that lake has special regulations .....then you might need a pic or 2 of you that day with the trout along a creek  ;D ;D

62 & Done

« Reply #42 on: Mar 26, 2024, 09:04 AM »

Trapp that brings back a memory:  I once fished a small lake near Lake George (limit was 50 gills I think) I got about 20.
I stopped at Saratoga on the way home (limit 15) I got 15 and I'm still below the state limit. Ran into an ECO as I was loading my gear into the truck, and he wanted to see all my pails  Uh oh  He was not happy at all .  If I had not had a receipt for gas from Glens Falls, that day, I would have been cited for sure.
I understand how confusing these regulations are, and he was just doing his job, but it shows how easily we can run afoul of the law.  We all need to stay abreast of ALL the regs. Old and new.

lowaccord66

« Reply #43 on: Mar 26, 2024, 11:06 AM »
My limited understanding is that NY goes by posession limits.  So as an example, I cant have more than 25 crappies in my posession at any given time.  So doing a multi day trip to southbay to nail spawning crappie and harvesting 25 per day would be illegal. (Assuming the first days catch were still in my possesion)

Reasonable rule I think.  Ive seen guys get busted for having 3 stripers in the cooler on a multi day trip.  The tricky part is some states have a daily limit and a posession limit. 

filetandrelease

« Reply #44 on: Mar 26, 2024, 12:41 PM »

Pg 74

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.