FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Grump dumps! Big Walleye snaps....  (Read 1680 times)

grumpymoe

Grump dumps! Big Walleye snaps....
« on: Sep 04, 2004, 10:06 PM »
well Big Walleye and i had planned on hitting Rock Lake for the first time together...its been many a year...fished it alot about 20 some years ago when it was handy to where i lived....mostly in the shanty....some great memories...up and at it around 5:00 this morning...overnight had some thunder and lightning...and some serious rainfall in some areas...one spot reported 2 1/2 inches in 2 hours!!! nice warm fall morning...spotted about 8-10 deer on the way down to the launch...1 nice buck....a lynx....some wild turkeys...boy it doesnt get any better...bury the back wheels in the shallow launch ;D ;D tailpipe is gurgling nicely... ;D the sound of dual exhaust under water is a sound to behold!!! ;D ;D fish for about an hour or so...spot a bunch of pelicans at the lake exit...peacefully leave as we arrive...find a couple dead ones...hmmm....the smell of birdy doo is a bit much...try one more spot....and decide to trailer the boat to the far southwest end....beautiful spot....the resort owner-operator is using his front end loader tractor to remove a ton of sand from the concrete launch.....oh boy....no clutch....start in forward.....shut if off...start in reverse...shut it off....this is a major project....after an eternity.....launch and head out....we find one of the spots that was suggested when we paid our launch fee....THE WEED BED!!!!...and its all tangled around the prop!!! ;D ;D after several attempts i miss a huge hit that loved nitro worms...oh well....then the big one hits.....land a 34" northern.....pics and release....off to more spots...the weeds are all over and showing huge fish on the fish finder...is it really fish...or weed clumps...move...find classic walleye shoreline about a mile or so away..my shad rap is tugging with the troll....and i am watching the weedline.....WHAM!! its a huge northern.....as it fights...the first glimpse....BIG WALLEYE is saying....come to papa...its looks huge!!! land the second walleye of the day....for me!!! its 26 1/2 to my eye....and 27" to Big Walleye...i wont argue...the pic of the fish measured doesnt show well enough....5 or so minutes later.....WHAM...the shad rap does it again.....another beauty....this one is 22" but stuffed full...and pictures dont do justice...fish some more.....a northern here...another there....its getting well into the afternoon....finally BW gets a hit.....and lands a northern...the jinx is over...(trapper...what did you say about taking his kids fishing????) ;D ;D....now for the two best parts.....Grump decides its time to get rid of the last of the mornings coffee....what else??? an old coffee can.....better than risking a dump in the lake with last nights legs....guess what happens next?????  Grumps politeness slips out of his hands and lands on the carpet.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D...lake water to the rescue ;D ;D ;D...a little more fishing and its time to call er a day....to the launch....this time the dual exhaust stays above the waterline.....it just doesnt sound the same...BW powers the boat on the trailer......just about there....time to crank...........crank.......crank.....SNAP...the 2" flat winch strap snapped.....bet you thought BW would snap for Grump dumping in his boat didnt you.....good sport.....said he would wash her out at the carwash....checked before posting....it was INSIDE....the OUT ;D ;D ;D....next outing....weather willing...is monday...for eater walleye and northerns.....keep your lines tight boys....Grump

Thriller

• Take a child fishing
Re: Grump dumps! Big Walleye snaps....
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2004, 11:49 PM »
Is that Rock Lake near Pilot Mound...or is there another Rock Lake closer to your part of the world?  One of these days I am supposed to go look at a lot for sale at Rock.

Derek
Derek

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
Re: Grump dumps! Big Walleye snaps....
« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2004, 12:20 PM »
Sounds like a "Grumpy" day, but you kept your head up and trudged along eh?  You know that kind of trip occurs every 10th or so time out.  Your in the clear for a while! ;) 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.