FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Arctic Char  (Read 1711 times)

Qwest73

Arctic Char
« on: Aug 10, 2017, 11:47 AM »
Used to catch them all the time in Greenland, just wondering if they range in the lower 48. Figured you folks in Maine would know best.

seamonkey84

Re: Arctic Char
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2017, 03:39 PM »
We are the only state that has a native population in the Con-US, but they've been stocked in one lake on the west coast.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

seamonkey84

"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

jacksmelt

« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2017, 10:23 AM »
the  deboullie public reserve area has most of the blueback population in Maine. they are caught the same way as most trout species but prefer deep cool water which the deboullie area lakes have plenty of. they don't get much for size. average is 12in. scrappy fighters on light gear or flyrod though. very tasty in the frying pan. ;)
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

zwiggles

« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2017, 12:29 PM »
Looks like it was in Colorado

http://www.summitdaily.com/news/colorado-parks-and-wildlife-lowers-bag-limit-for-arctic-char-caught-in-dillon-reservoir/

I could be wrong, but I think the referenced article refers to true Arctic char which get much bigger then blueback/ sunapee trout. I think blueback's are a subspecies or cousin of the char. Maine has the only native populations left, and I believe Idaho has a lake or two in which they were stocked a long time ago through F&G exchange, and they have taken to the lake and reproduce on their own now.

NH is rumored to still have some relic populations in a few spots, but their most likely just rumors (and you can't fish the lakes anyways). NH did have a population which grew to reportedly huge size in sunnapee lake, but it is now believed the very large specimens where hybrids which mixed with lake trout the state stocked. They cannot compete with other fish species from what I understand, and the population that was in sunappe lake was only discovered after the state stocked lake trout.

It is abucket list fish for me. More as a reason to see that area of Maine. I have never been much past Ellsworth, but it looks and sounds like a beautiful area.

seamonkey84

« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2017, 09:14 PM »
As from what I've read, the strain in Maine (blueback/sunapee) are unique and don't get as big. They're still classified as Arctic char, though most would consider them a subspecies.

jacksmelt

« Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2017, 07:17 PM »
they are the same species but landlocked after the last ice age so they're smaller. like atlantic and landlocked salmon. would love to see them introduce some searun char into deboullie to increase the size of them!
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.