FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: My 2011 fishing adventures.  (Read 13688 times)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
My 2011 fishing adventures.
« on: May 23, 2011, 06:21 PM »
Hi all,

On Sat. May 21st I started my first day of fishing for the new open water season. 8)

I was unsure where to start my adventure but though I would try around the Fishing Lake area. That area was a bit difficult to access, all the good fishing areas, and the ones that were open, had a good number of anglers present.  I opted to try Stony or Whitesand / Pelican Lake, to the E, only to discover a sign across the road saying road out, now what. :-\

I decided to try furter E and see what I could find.
I finally came to Theodore Reservoir and thought I would start my season there.

Most of the day was cool and windy, but in that area I was sheltered from the strong winds and with the cloud cover it was just a nice temp and no biting insects.

I fished from 4:00pm - 8:30pm.

It was quite peacful with lots of bird life and sound of nature all around. 
I was happy to be out again and I was hoping the fish would cooperate.

As I started fishing, a boat anchored  just beyond my casting distance and found the fish. The 3 guys caught 2 smaller pike, 3 perch sized walleye and 5-6 medium perch.  The other boats that trolled by also landed a fish here and there, again mostly small walleye and perch.

The fish were jumping from time to time all evening.

I had decent acton from shore as well.  About 20 min into the fishing I land my first fish of the new open water season. :)

Man, that felt good to feel the tug again, but I also land another 4 pike and a bonus walleye that evening.
Like always, only a few pike stayed, most went back including the walleye.

This is the big fish of the evening at 3.1lbs.

The rest were 2 - 2.5 lbs except for the smallest pike and walleye which would be around 1.5 lbs., maybe.

The pike hit spoons, smelts on a jig and swimbaits and the walleye hit a spoon.

Two of the pike hit just a few feet from shore and with only 4-5 feet of line made for a close quarter battle. I was able to watch both of them streek in and slam the lure before it left the water. :o

I also had one more grab the lure right in front of me, but unfortunatly it grabbed the lure and not the hook. I wrestled it right to my feet before it just opened it's mouth and swam off,lol. :laugh:

In the end I was happy with my first trip of the season, and hope the fish keep on biting. ;D

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: My 2011 fishing adventures.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 05:48 AM »
Looks like a good start to the season... :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :clapping: :clapping:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

PIKE FISHERMAN

• Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based fishing.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 06:30 PM »
nice haul.
Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based bass, pike, fly fishing, brook fishing, trolling and ice fishing. Hope to see you on the water somewhere!!

Water Wolf

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 05:55 PM »
Thanks Raquettedacker & PIKE FISHERMAN. :)

Here is another post from this weekend.

Hi all,

On Sunday, May 29th my uncle, and I went fishing to the Fishing Lake area for a few hours, my aunt was there to, but didn't fish.
This is my uncles first time fishing since last fall, so he was eager to get back at it.

We fished from 3:00pm until 8:20pm.

It was a windy and cloudy afternoon with cool temps.

We found a spot we hoped would have some fish in it and fished until evening.

In that time we caught 8 pike, 5 for me 3 for my uncle. :)

The pike were averaging 3 -3.5 lbs.

I caught the big fish of the trip.

It was 6.7 lbs and 30.1"long.

Most of the pike had small nicks, scrapes and scratches on them as well as split fins.
A couple had large bite marks on them from a much bigger pike.

The pike hit swimbaits, soft plastic lizards and I also caught a few on a new soft plastic I picked up called a Rage Tail "Space Monkey",lol, where do they come up with these names. ::)
The big pike of the day hit the new Rapala Clackin' Crank.

One of the fish we kept had shrimp, tiny perch and good sized smooth stone in it's stomach and one angler I chatted with said he caught a 8.5 lb pike in that area that had a 12" fresh garter snake in it's stomach. :o
It don't seem to matter what the prey is for pike, as long as it just a bit smaller than them it's lunch,lol. :laugh:

Over all it was another good trip with a fair amount of action and aggressive fish. :)

WW

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 06:43 PM »
Way to go bud... :thumbup_smilie: :clapping: :bowdown:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Water Wolf

« Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2011, 05:10 PM »
Thanks Raquettedacker , :)

Hi all,
Here is a fishing report for Sunday, June 5th.

My destination was Theodore Reservoir and with my previous luck there I was hopeful.

I fished from 3:00pm until 6:30pm and during that time it was a nice afternoon with light winds, warm temps and sunny skies.

There were many angler out enjoying the day.
At any one time there were 20 boats on the water and 12 -15 shore anglers.

From what I heard fishing seemed to be better from shore than from the boats coming in.
Most shore anglers had a few fish, mostly not bad perch and small pike while a good number of the boat anglers were coming in skunked. :P

I set up on the edge of the group of shore anglers and on my 3 cast I had 2 taps followed by a strike and
the familiar head shakes of fighting a pike.
First fish of the day. :)

An hour or so later I had another strike and fish #2 is netted.

I cast a for a while longer but the action slowed so I switch to a pickerel rig for perch and cast it out.
10 min later the rod bows and the line pulls, I set the hook a hard pulling fish, this is no perch, lol. :laugh:

Fish #3 and the big one of the afternoon at 3.7 lbs.

This would be the last fish before I leave.

I was again happy with how the afternoon went, and look forward to the next fishing adventure. ;D

WW

Water Wolf

« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2011, 04:32 PM »
Hi guys,

My latest fishing adventure was a 2 day deal.

Day1. Pike Patrol.

The first day of shore fishing was June 10th. and I was exploring a few fishing spots, in around the Fishing Lake area.

Spot 1 was at Fishing Lake and the temps were perfect for fishing.

This spot gave up 2 pike.

This one hit on the 2nd cast. :)

This one 10min later.

After half an hour with no action I moved to spot 2 where is yielded a strike and another pike.

That was it for that area and after another 20 min and I stopped for something to eat.

By the time I hit the water it was getting a bit later so I though I would try another lake close by.

I started fishing by 8:17pm and went to 9:30pm.

In that time the fishing was good and five more pike were caught.

I quit when I could not see my lure hit the water.

Day2. Walleye whackin'

The second day was an late afternoon early evening trip for walleye to Round Lake.

A fishing buddy and I fished from roughly 6:15pm until the mosquitoes got really bad at 9:00pm. :P

It was a cloudy, cool and windy with the shore fishing was off for most of the trip.

There were a good number of shore and boat anglers out ,but most had no luck what so-ever. ???

Our luck began to change around 8:30pm, and I net the first walleye of the day.

In the end we netted 7 walleye, 3 for me and 4 for my buddy who went fishing for the first time this season.

My 2 other fish.

My buddies double header on back to back casts.

I didn't even get the 1st one out of the net when he had another one on,lol. :w00t:

The pike from the first day averaged from 1.5 - 3.5 lbs and the walleye looked like clones of each other at a 1.5 -1.7 lb.

All in all I was happy to be able to get out for 2 days and the good fishing made it even better. 8)

WW

Water Wolf

« Reply #7 on: Jun 20, 2011, 05:03 PM »
Hi All,

June 18th was my latest fishing adventure and today destination was Kipabiskau Lake.

My fishing partners and I left in a rain storm and it continued to rain and lighting most of the way there. :wacko:
We though we may be rained out but as we got to the lake the the sky cleared a bit and the rain stopped. It was still a bit windy but that was fine.

The lake had a fair wave action with some algae bloom starting and thick weed growth near shore.

One partner opted to fish with a pickerel rig while the other partner and my self went to a more active approach and cast.

This area was had good pike action and over the cores of the afternoon and evening we caught 14 pike, 8 for me and 6 for my other partner. :)
The fish defiantly wanted a moving target and my partner with the pickerel rig only had a few light nibbles and stolen bait.

The fish that day were not large, averaging 1lb - 1.5 with a bigger 3 lber that was lost at shore.

Four of the pike caught had Black Spot Disease over their entire body. I have not seen this very often and this is the first lake this year that I saw fish with it.

Here is a few photos of the days action.

I have never really had much action at Kip in the past, but was happy with these results and will be trying it again some time.

All the fish went back to fight another day. ;D

P.S - here is a web page that tells what black spot disease is as well as other parasites in fish, nasty stuff. :P  -----> http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/volunteer/janfeb06/raw.html

WW

polar bear

• Fishing isn't just something I do , its who I am..
« Reply #8 on: Jun 23, 2011, 08:29 PM »
NICE PICS

Water Wolf

« Reply #9 on: Jun 27, 2011, 05:20 PM »
Thank you polar bear.  :)

Hi guys,

Here is my fishing report for June 25th.

My partners and I were mostly exploring the Mc.Bride Lake area seeing the sights, but in the later afternoon we stopped to fish at 3 of the lakes for a short time at each one.

It was a cool and windy afternoon / evening with some rain storms moving through the area from time to time.

Our first stop was Parr Hill Lake.

This merganser mom had quite the little flock. :w00t:
She hurried them along and was out of sight quickly.

I was fishing Parr Hill Lake about 10 min before the first good rain storm moved in, but before I had to call it quits, I net this feisty little pike.

On our next stop we tried to locate the Little Swan River to fish at, but to no avail. :-\

We then checked out Pepaw Lake, complete with several pairs of loons.

Close up of one of the pair.

As we arrived it started to rain again, but one fishing buddy and I decided to fish anyways, while the other watched in the truck.

As we were fishing we saw neat sight, this doe whitetail deer swam across the lake not one, twice or even three but four times.
She must have been bothered by either by biting insects or she is training to compete in a marathon swim race,lol.

After the 4th trip back she gathered her young one and disappeared into the forest not far from us.

While I was fishing I have a tap and hook another fish, a Pepaw Pike.

My buddy follows suit a short time later.

We then move onto the next spot, Mc.Bride Lake.

I was surprised to see how much water was in the lake. :o
It is nothing like it was last fall, the water was right up to the trees and there is hardly any shoreline left.
One angler said it had risen 2 feet in the last 4 days.

This small flock of mergansers enjoyed the main dock to rest and relax on.

I fish in that area until dark, but can't even get a nibble, most anglers report poor fishing for some time now. :P

In conclusion it was another neat trip, the fishing may have been a bit slower for me, but the scenery made up for it, and at least I was not skunked. :azn:

WW

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Jun 27, 2011, 05:23 PM »
Very cool pictures WW...  You have some beautiful country up there....

Water Wolf

« Reply #11 on: Jun 27, 2011, 05:52 PM »
Thank you Raquettedacker.

Yeah, Northern Sask. does have some mighty pretty country and there are still places where you feel you are the first one to discover that area.
I feel we are very lucky to have it. ;D

WW

TheDL

« Reply #12 on: Jun 27, 2011, 07:09 PM »
Awesome report, I love the details and great pics!
tight lines....

lewk24

« Reply #13 on: Jun 28, 2011, 05:47 AM »
wow tons of great fish...congrats.

Water Wolf

« Reply #14 on: Jul 04, 2011, 04:45 PM »
Hi TheDL and lewk24, thank you for your comments. :)
I am glad you all are enjoying my reports.

Here is another one from this weekend, enjoy.

Hi guys,

I hope everyone had a good Canada Day or 4 of July long weekend and were able to get some fishing done. :)

I was able to go on July 2nd and my destination was Fishing Lake for a bit of shore fishin'.

I fished from 3:40pm until 9:10pm.

It was a nice afternoon with blue bird skies and hot temps, but that didn't discourage the fish at all.

Not even 5 min into the fishing and I hook the first fish of the day. ;D

Through out the day the fishing where hitting off and on the whole time keeping things intersting with a real peak near sunset.

A fishing buddy joined my for the last hour and a half, and they did well also.

The final tally was 6 pike and 9 walleye for me and for my buddy 5 pike and 6 walleye for a total of 26 fish for only a few hours and my buddy and I probably lost 6 - 7 more. :w00t:

My partner and I only kept a few for the table, the rest went back to fight another day, including the biggest walleye of the day at roughly  2.3 - 2.5 lbs.
The biggest pike {not pictured} would be around the 4 - 4.5 lb mark.

Here are a few photos of the catch.

In conclusion, it was another great fishing trip, and one I hope I can repeat next time out.

WW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.