FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: My 2011 fishing adventures.  (Read 13687 times)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
Re: My 2011 fishing adventures.
« Reply #30 on: Aug 02, 2011, 09:01 PM »
Thanks TheDL & Raquettedacker.  :)

LOL, getting the walleye to get his dorsal fin up with out holding it can be tricky at times.
By the time I unhook them and snap the photos they have relaxed it. ::)

Hi all,

Here is my fishing report for this past 3 day long weekend.

Day 1, found my family and I headed down to Last Mountain Lake to try our luck at carp fishing for the 1st time ever.
I had all the rigs prepared ahead of time.  Now I just had to latch into one of the bruisers that the lake is known for.

We arrive at our destination to find most of the area flooded.  Not knowing where to look for carp, we just followed the paths that led us to where there were other anglers.
As we walk along a well beaten trail, we pass anglers with fish, some have pike, some have walleye and some have carp, so we must be in the right area.

We fish amongst the other anglers for most of the afternoon and into the evening with pike and walleye being caught all around us but not one person lands a
carp, although we could see a few big carp rolling in the water.

At the end of the day I do finally land my first carp, but its not quite what I was expecting.

A " microfiche", lol. :w00t:

I think all the splashing of lures from the other anglers fishing for pike and walleye may have put the carp off their feed. :-\

Day 2 and another lake for my group to explore, this time the Barrier Lake area.

On the way there we spot the cow moose grazing in a canola field.

We also see a dead tree with these adult turkey vultures sitting in it.

I think the garbage dump was not too far from them.

We find that Barrier Lake is a bit too weed chocked around the shore line for proper shore fishing, so we opt to try the Barrier River for a short time until dark.
In that time my uncle got one nibble. I got 4 nibbles and finally land one smaller pike a short time before we leave.

Day 3 and I go back to my usual lake.
I fish from 3:45pm - 8:00pm.
In that time I land 6 of these guys.

And 5 of these guys.

This is the big fish of the 3 days and big pike so-far this summer. :azn:

It was 12.13 lbs.

I only kept one pike during the 3 days.  Everyone else went back, including the big one, who will keep getting bigger. ;)

All in all it was a good 3 days, with lots of scenery and some willing fish. 8)
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #31 on: Aug 03, 2011, 05:49 AM »
More great pictures WW...     Thats a real nice pike.....    Congratulations...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

lewk24

« Reply #32 on: Aug 03, 2011, 06:08 AM »
awesome thread. nice pics and congrats.

TheDL

« Reply #33 on: Aug 03, 2011, 08:27 AM »
WaterWolf - sounds like a nice adventure...that pike is huge!  Congrats  :clapping: :thumbup_smilie:
tight lines....

Water Wolf

« Reply #34 on: Aug 09, 2011, 12:28 AM »
Thank you Raquettedacker, lewk24 & TheDL. ;D

Hi all,

Here is my latest fishing report.

I though I would try shore fishing for the evening of Aug. 7th.  The weather was cool and very windy with a NW wind and large crashing waves.

Despite the nasty weather I fished from 6:30pm until 8:40pm.

Not surprisingly I saw no other anglers out on the water or off shore. :wacko:

The fishing has slowed alot from the last time I was there but I still did manage a few fish.

It took an hour before the first fish hit, followed by a brief flurry of activity and then total shutdown again.

In the end I did net 5 fish, 2 pike and 3 walleye. :)

I almost got this walleye to raise it's fin. ;D

The fish were hitting very light.  All I would feel is the lure get slightly heavier, or the opposite as the lure suddenly got a bit lighter as the fish swam towards me.

The big fish was a 4lb pike. I was going to take a photo of it but it flipped out of net before I could do so.

They all went back to swim another day.

All in all I was happy with my results despite the poor weather and shorter time to fish. :azn:

WW

WaynefromMaine

• Life is Great
« Reply #35 on: Aug 10, 2011, 04:21 PM »
   Nice picture's wolf.   Glad to see your finding time to fish.

Water Wolf

« Reply #36 on: Aug 17, 2011, 02:53 PM »
Thanks WaynefromMaine, yeah a person should get to have a bit of relaxation every now and then. ;)

Hi guys,

Here is my fishing report for Aug. 14th.

I had a boat with me on this fishing trip and I started fishing from 10: 30am until :12:10pm.
I ate dinner and started fishing from 1:30pm until 6:15pm.

The day was a real mixed bag when it came to weather. One minute it was calm and sunny the next it was cloudy and windy.
When it was windy I anchored myself to keep from beings swept down the lake. I even had some rain mixed with it. ::)

The water had a really thick algal bloom, one of the worst I have seen for this lake.
There were large blobs of it right on the surface and it had a thick green shag carpet look in the water.
I was constantly cleaning my line and lures, and being sprayed by gobs of algae as it entered the reel. :P

Despite the water conditions the fish were on the feed in a big way.
In the mornings fishing I caught 7 walleye and lost 2 pike.

In the afternoons fishing I caught 2 pike, lost 2 pike and caught 22 walleye and lost 3. ;D

The walleye were a bit larger this trip and the average fish was around the 2 lb mark.
I also managed to land 2 fish that were over 20 inches and were in the 3.5 - 3.9lb and   4 - 4.4 lb mark.

The 2 biggest pike got away, as all big fish seem to do but they looked to be around the 5 lb mark.
The 2 pike I did land were 2 - 2.5 lbs.

Here are a few photos.
First fish of the day.

One of the pike.

The 2 larger walleyes.
Walleye 1 roughly 3.5 - 3.9 lb

The largest of the 2 at 4 - 4.5 lbs

This would be my largest walleye this open water season so far.

In the end I kept one pike and one walleye for variety, all the rest went back including the 2 bigger walleye.

I may have fished a bit longer in the evening but an ominous thunder head appeared in the distance and was moving fast towards my location, with thunder rumbling.
By the time I made it to shore and got every thing packed up, the storm arrived, dumping a good amount of rain with very intense lighting. The sky really darkened and I watched the storm from a safe place before I got "Thunder Struck",lol.
I have not seen too many lighting storms that intense over the water.

Now I think I know why the fish were feeding so hard this day, they could feel the storm approaching long before I did and fed up in preparation of its arrival.

WW

TheDL

« Reply #37 on: Aug 17, 2011, 03:01 PM »
WW - congrats on your biggest walleye of the year!  You really got those dialed in!  Keep the reports coming ;D
tight lines....

lewk24

« Reply #38 on: Aug 17, 2011, 03:13 PM »
another great post man. nice fish.

I actually got into a huge thunderstorm this year on the boat for the first time...hail the size of quarters...man did that hurt.

way to stay out of harms way man.

Water Wolf

« Reply #39 on: Aug 22, 2011, 05:10 PM »
Thanks TheDL & lewk24. :)

Yeah, we all have to watch for those pop up thunders storms.
Man, quarter sized hail, that would hurt for sure. :blink:

Here is another fishing report, this one for Aug. 21st.

I arrived at the lake to find it flat calm, and under a cloudless sky perfect conditions so I got the boat out and hit the water from around 3:45pm until sunset.

The algae was still fairly thick but, not quite as bad as last time.

I started to troll from shore to my spot where I fond them before and as soon as I got there I had a hit, only 3 min into the the day and fish on already. :o
I netted the fish snapped a photo sent it on it's way.
I fired out the lure again and bang another fish on, this went on several more times over the course of 20 min until I had 5 fish netted and released.

By then a fair number of boats for this lake were around the area I was fishing, including other anglers, jet skiers, wake borders and water skiers all in the same area.

I think all the above water action took it's total on the fish and over the afternoon and I began to get less and less fish, and by evening,when walleye are usually the most active
they were totally shut down.
I could see a lot of fish on the screen but no one was buying what I was selling.

In the end I still had a good afternoon with 11 walleye caught and released + a pike and 2 walleye who threw the barbless hooks. :)

The walleye were a bit smaller on average this time with 1.5 - 2 lb fish the norm.

A photo of the first fish of the day.

I hope this action continues into the fall. :w00t:

WW

TheDL

« Reply #40 on: Aug 23, 2011, 10:32 AM »
nice report, what were the 'eyes biting on?  Love the pic, great colours on that guy...almost a blue in there with the yellow  :)
tight lines....

Water Wolf

« Reply #41 on: Aug 24, 2011, 04:20 PM »
Thanks TheDL, yeah a few of them were quite colorful. :)

Most of the walleye went for a neon yellow double tail grub, some went for a yellow and neon yellow rubber minnow bait, {untill they ripped the tales off ,lol ::) }.
A couple hit the regualr sized clackin' rap.

WW

Water Wolf

« Reply #42 on: Sep 06, 2011, 06:16 PM »
Hi all,

My latest fishing report is from Labor Day / Sept. 5th.

I fished my usual shoreline spot from 3:35 - sunset.

It was a good  afternoon fish and weather wise, with a lite breeze, sunny skies and temps in the mid + twenties ( 68 F).

There is still a fair amount of algae in the water, but, it doesn't seem to bother the fish, in fact, it may help to reduce the the light levels, letting fish like walleye
hunt all day. This appeared to be the case anyway, and on my 2nd cast I net this guy, a healthy little walleye.

Ten or so min later I land 3 fish on 3 back to back casts. :)

later on  I get 2 fish on 2 back to back casts.

This is the big fish of the afternoon. :)

The pike was roughly 4 lbs.

In the end I have a really good day off shore with 21 fish landed, 9 pike & 12 walleye.
I also had 2 pike bite me off and one fish who some how opened my snap and left with my jig.

All the fish went back to fight another day. :flex:

The fish went for double tale grubs in a few different colors, Mister Twister's Hawg Frog and the Clackin' Rap.

I only saw 2 boats out fishing in my area, but both of them seem to be having good luck as well.

I am really happy with my results and hope as the fall starts the fishing stays strong. :azn:

WW

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #43 on: Sep 06, 2011, 09:59 PM »
Nice pics WW, looks like you had a great time each trip out.  Keep 'em coming!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #44 on: Sep 07, 2011, 04:52 AM »
Way to slay them WW...  :thumbup_smilie: :clapping: :thumbup_smilie: :clapping:    Looks like a great outing...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.