FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: My 2011 fishing adventures.  (Read 13686 times)

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
Re: My 2011 fishing adventures.
« Reply #75 on: Oct 27, 2011, 02:59 AM »
it's was not a hard decision to let her go.

The important thing is that it was your uncle's decision, your uncle's right to make it, and whether or not the fish was kept it was a nice fish.  And, the photo preserves the memory for you to enjoy for years to come.  There are plenty of walleyes out there left to eat!

Bassfishin1983

• Fishin Forever!!!
« Reply #76 on: Oct 27, 2011, 10:03 AM »
Nice eye. I would of let it go if there was a ton of them as well.They are some great eatting fish though.
For The Love Of Fish !!!

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #77 on: Oct 27, 2011, 03:15 PM »
Thanks Fat Boy & Bassfishin1983.  :)
I think we are seeing the results first hand of the walleye stockings that take place in this lake.

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Water Wolf

« Reply #78 on: Nov 01, 2011, 11:48 PM »
Hi all,

I was able to do a bit of shore fishing 2 afternoons in a row.

Day 1. - Oct 30th.
The weather was not too bad for this time of year and time of day, and only a slight wind from the S.

I fished from 4:55pm - 6:00pm.

In that time I had decent fishing action, with the first fish being hooked 8 min into the fishing.
It was a speedy little 1.5 lb pike.

Good little warm up fish, I hope. :P

The next pike was a bit larger at 27 x 12 {7.29 lbs}

As it got darker the fish got bigger.
This next one was 32 x 13 {12.1}

As I fished I noticed one really big splash just up the shore from where I was. It was big enough to make the grebes move out of the area so I moved over and cast a few times.  I lost one and had a couple taps.  Just a few min before I called it quits I saw a white flash of a fish just a few feet from the rod tip as I was lifting the lure from the water, and what followed was a lengthy 10 min battle with an angry big pike. She didn't bother with fancy jumps like the smaller fish do, she used her brute strength in an effort to snap my 10 lb line.  I was also quite worried when I saw her go by with no sign of the lure in her mouth and no steel leader on and a barbless hook.
I made sure not to horse the pike and let it take as many runs as it wanted. The last thing I wanted it to do was jump and throw the hook or slide the line across those teeth.
Finally the pike gave in and I attempted to net her, not an easy task by yourself. I held the net in the water with my knees, moved her over the net, and with one hand attempted to lift the net around the fish. It had a hard time folding into my net and  almost jumped out.
I was excited by the size of this pike. I measured her and length and girth, snapped a photo and sent her on her way. She shot out of the area like a rocket and thoroughly soaked me, but at that point I didn't mind a bit as  I just released my new personal best pike. ;D 

She was 37"x 16" and by  ice shanty's online calculations she was a 18.7 lb pike. 

After inspecting my line I found that it was indeed very shredded and would not have lasted too much longer, pheewww was I lucky that time. ::)
I am very happy to have had the chance to do battle with a big pike like that.
I am also happy that the weather cooperated for me on this day and hope that I can get a few more fishing trips before the weather gets too nasty.

Day 2. Oct. 31st { Halloween}. :evil:
After hearing of my luck the day before my Uncle decided that he would like to try a bit of fishing for the afternoon so, my uncle, aunt and I arrived at the lake around 2:10pm.

The weather was cloudy and a bit of a wind from the N, but the the temp was not too bad if you were dressed for it.

My uncle hooks the first fish of the day a little hammer handle pike probably around a 1 lb.

His next fish hits hard and makes a screaming run for deep water, this looks familiar to me. It behaves exactly like the my big one the day before, with long powerful runs, and no wasted energy jumping like the little guys do. Thankfully this time we both have a steel leader, but it's still a barbless hook.  My uncle and the fish do the game of give and take for 7 min before she gets close enough to net. I net her and again I am shocked at her size. :o
She is 39.5" x 15.5" and is 22.8 lbs by Ice Shantys online calculator.
This is my uncles biggest fish by far, and the largest one I have seen live.

She poses for a quick picture and tape length and is quickly released.
She darts away and again gives me a large splash in the face for good measure.

Around 4:30pm we meet up with TyreeUm and all 3 of us fish together.  We move a bit down from my uncle, but I have the only net and my uncle keeps me running with the
fish he was catching. At one point he catches 3 fish on 3 back to back casts. I just get to my spot or half way to it and another fish is on, not that I mind a bit. :laugh:

In the end we leave TyreeUm at 6:00pm and head for home, with a couple pike to clean that were hooked too deep to let go.

In the end my uncle had a great 3rd trip of his open water season, he caught the most and biggest fish.
He had 14 pike including the biggest fish of the 2 days. 
I caught 6 pike.

I lost a good sized pike just before I left.  It made a good run and wrapped the line around some sharp underwater structure, oh well thats fishing for you.

This is the average size of the fish that day.

In the end it was another great shore fishing adventure and I am glad I was able get my uncle into fishing a few years ago and now be able to net the largest fish he has ever caught.
I was also happy to meet TyreeUm and have a chance to fish and chat with him. It was nice meeting you and we will have to fish again sometime. :)

In the end Halloween was a not a trick but a treat. ;)

WW

lewk24

« Reply #79 on: Nov 02, 2011, 05:12 AM »
...another great report. Congrats in the PBs for both you and your uncle. I hope to get into some pike that size this winter. Thanks for sharing.

Luke

waterwolf603

« Reply #80 on: Nov 02, 2011, 06:40 AM »
congrats on the PB those are some beautiful pike WW looks like you had a great couple of days
lakes, lies, and marble eyes

fisher7450

• If theres a fish in the water I'll fish it
« Reply #81 on: Nov 02, 2011, 08:03 AM »
nice fish  :clapping: :clapping: :bowdown: :bowdown:
A Great Fishermen doesn't need the best equipment.
A Great Fishermen makes the best of what they have.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #82 on: Nov 03, 2011, 08:42 PM »
Nice job WW and a great report.  It's great to see you and your uncle get PBs in such a short time!  Congrats to you both!

Water Wolf

« Reply #83 on: Nov 04, 2011, 02:02 AM »
Thanks guys, we were both happy campers with those 2 pb pike. ;D

I hope to find a few more like that this winter as well and will see if those big
girls are still hanging around that area.

Hi everyone, here is another fishing report for you all.

My uncle and I gave the shore fishing another try on Nov.3rd.

We got there at 2:15pm and fished until dark.

The weather was mostly cloudy, with not bad temps, but with the strong wind from the SE it was still a bit cool.

On my very 1st cast I hooked into a hammer handle pike. 8)
I was hoping that this action would continue and it did.
What the fish lacked in size they made up for in numbers, and over the afternoon we both had consistent action.
In the end I caught 10 pike and my uncle caught 10 pike. :)

There were 3 anglers that were fishing together when we got there. They also caught a fair number of fish, all pike.

The fish were hitting hard and there were no mistaking the strikes.

Most of the fish were 1 - 2 lbs with a few over 3lbs.

Here is an example of the larger pike.

These 2 stayed with us.

In the end it was another good afternoon and we were again happy with the action.
I think my open water season is coming to an end, not sure how many fit fishing days are left, but maybe I can slip out again
for a few more, only time, and the weather will tell. :unsure:

WW

lewk24

« Reply #84 on: Nov 04, 2011, 11:57 AM »
nice WaterWolf...hopefully you can get out again and have another report...weather permitting that is...congrats.

Luke

wellsley

« Reply #85 on: Nov 05, 2011, 08:48 PM »
Some beautiful pike there, congrats.
LIFE MEMBER OF NORTH AMERICA FISHING CLUB

Bassfishin1983

• Fishin Forever!!!
« Reply #86 on: Nov 07, 2011, 08:41 AM »
Looks like the pike fishing is getting better. Nice to see you keep a couple small ones to eat and let the big breader go. Great job.
For The Love Of Fish !!!

Water Wolf

« Reply #87 on: Nov 14, 2011, 02:25 PM »
Thanks, lewk24, wellsley & Bassfishin1983. :)

Hi guys, well it looks like my softwater season has come to an end, but it was a good one with a few accomplishments like new PB pike and first ever tiger trout caught.
Although I primarily shore fished, I had the best season I have ever had for numbers of fish. I caught 297 fish to be exact, never had a skunk all season long {although it was close a few times}. On my best trip produced 37 fish. I also was able to make it out a bit more this season than I have in the past.

I hope everyone here had a good fishing season as well, and I thank you all for tuning into my fishing reports, much appreciated. :)

My new hard water reports will start on iceshanty sometime in Dec.
Until then, be safe and have fun. ;D

Water Wolf out.

WW

lewk24

« Reply #88 on: Nov 15, 2011, 07:55 AM »
get thread all year WW...congrats on your season's success...

Luke

Water Wolf

« Reply #89 on: Mar 13, 2012, 01:40 AM »
Thanks lewk24. :)

I hope this new season is just as, or even more productive as last year. ;D

WW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com