FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Late Browns (pics)  (Read 3826 times)

TightLinesMaine

Late Browns (pics)
« on: Dec 03, 2016, 01:24 PM »
Finally got into some nice brown trout, took me a while (i'm usually on top of them the first week of november, just not this year) but the last week or two they seem to be really active in one water I fish.  Both caught streamer fishing on the 6 wt fly rod.  The hen brown jumped completely out of the water twice but was not too much of a battle, but the male brown really gave me a run for my money, pulled & shook and even took a run or two downstream. 

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
Re: Late Browns (pics)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2016, 07:36 PM »
Real nice browns, Randall 8)

It looks like the hen is resting on top of a salad in that 1st pic ;D

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2016, 07:56 PM »
Real nice browns, Randall 8)

It looks like the hen is resting on top of a salad in that 1st pic ;D

Haha, thanks Jim.  She was caught a few days after thanksgiving.  The male was caught yesterday, took advantage of what appears to be the last of the mild weather in the mid 40s.

Brook trout fishing was fantastic as well (no pics)

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2016, 08:45 PM »
Beautiful backdrop and crystal clear water. Thanks for sharing. Reminds me of my last trip to northern Maine years ago.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Eroy4

« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2016, 04:09 AM »
Nice looking browns! The warm weather last week definitely made for some good fishing, even saw a dozen plus fish rise to the surface one day. I was able to get two bookies on dry flies on November 28th (new record for me).

franklin fisher

« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2016, 06:40 AM »
  Nice ones.

fish wayniac

« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2016, 06:48 AM »
Great looking Browns Awesome!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2016, 07:37 AM »
Beautiful fish!   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

JoeGG

« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2016, 10:48 AM »
Haha, thanks Jim.  She was caught a few days after thanksgiving.  The male was caught yesterday, took advantage of what appears to be the last of the mild weather in the mid 40s.

Brook trout fishing was fantastic as well (no pics)
sent you a pm

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2016, 11:21 AM »
Nice looking browns! The warm weather last week definitely made for some good fishing, even saw a dozen plus fish rise to the surface one day. I was able to get two bookies on dry flies on November 28th (new record for me).

thanks, curious what dry flies were you using? I have gotten the little salmon to rise for dry flies in November (BWO's) but for some reason I can't get the brook trout to look up to the same fly.  (you can pm me if you like)

seamonkey84

« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2016, 12:32 PM »
Last year I caught brookies and small salmon on griffiths gnat and small emerged patterns even in mid January. It was when I saw splashy rises randomly but couldn't see any bugs.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2016, 12:33 PM »
Last year I caught brookies and small salmon on griffiths gnat and small emerged patterns even in mid January. It was when I saw splashy rises randomly but couldn't see any bugs.

i never have any luck with that fly maybe i need to go smaller, think i only have them in size 18 or 20

Eroy4

« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2016, 01:33 PM »
thanks, curious what dry flies were you using? I have gotten the little salmon to rise for dry flies in November (BWO's) but for some reason I can't get the brook trout to look up to the same fly.  (you can pm me if you like)

CDC Comparaduns. Typically if I see fish rising this time of year and I don't see any flies to go off of I will throw comparaduns or midges. The smaller the better, sizes 20-22. 

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2016, 02:45 PM »
     CDC Comparaduns. Typically if I see fish rising this time of year and I don't see any flies to go off of I will throw comparaduns or midges. The smaller the better, sizes 20-22. 

Thanks for the tip, appreciate it.  I didnt do any dry fly fishing since the last week of september actually.  But yeah still lots of fish rising just about every trip at that spot

seamonkey84

« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2016, 02:58 PM »
I know everyone says go smaller and smaller, but size 18 and 20 have produced for me in dry, emergers, and nymph patterns. Maybe because by the time 20-24 size was needed I was hitting the ice more and getting skunked on the river.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.