FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fitchburg?  (Read 5841 times)

mullen2525

Fitchburg?
« on: Aug 13, 2004, 11:59 PM »
Hey, just wondering if anyones got any advice for good fishing spots within 30-45 minutes of fitchburg MA.  I've been goin to school there for 2 years now and have only found a couple spots worthy of regular fishing.  Just wondering if anyone knows the area better and can help me out any.

troutfinder22

• Catchin theese fish like its goin out of style
Re: Fitchburg?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2004, 11:15 AM »
Whalom lake look it up at masswildlife.com to find location, fish present and depts,  you are not to far from comet pond  great fishing therealso out towards Orange is lake Mattawa great fishing there also you will find all theese lakes on masswildlife webpage under pond maps.
  I will have my brother write u and let u know about some more lakes out that way ( he used to live in that area.  (bassfisher33)

mullen2525

« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2004, 01:01 PM »
thanks a lot i've been to whalom and other than panfish I nver had much luck.  I've been to comet once also and I plan to make a few trips and fish on the ice there this winter.  I'll have to check out mattawa, thanks for the advice.

troutfinder22

« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2004, 03:26 PM »
Mattawa is a great place to icefish I have seen lots of nice salmon come out of there,  my friends icefish comet but I have yet to go threre they have alot of luck there

mullen2525

« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2004, 11:33 PM »
yeah, I hear its good for salmon as well as decent size brown trout,  do you know if theres any other species with good average sizes here(comet)?

jf5

« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2004, 12:34 PM »
Comet is good until it gets cleaned out. The ponds has some summer trout water, but the pressure and harvest is heavy, so few make it year to year. The bass are there, but average smaller size than most ponds. The ice fishing there can be painfully slow at times.

Mattawa has some shore access but is way better with aboat. It does get alot of trout and brooedstock salmon. Some of the browns hold over and can get real nice. The trout get tough once they get preasssured and alot are harvested.

I would really look into Wachusett Reservoir and its watershed for trout, panfish, bass, lakers and salmon. Great scenery, plenty of room, and nice fish.

Other ponds in the area that might be worth your time. (Boat/canoe may be needed to fish the best areas) Barre Hill Pond/Harvard, Nashua River (leominster area), Rocky Pond/Boylston, Lake Quinsiqgamond/Worcester, Brigham Pond/hubbardston, Moosehorn Pond/Hubbardston, Colchate Pond (Sp?) /Clinton, among others...

mullen2525

« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2004, 05:30 PM »
thanks jf  i'm looking more for a plce to fish from shore but i'll check those places out anyways.  also does anyone know of any info on wyman pond or round meadow pond both in westminster.  I ice fished round meadow last season and we know theres bass pickeral and perch, the only bass we saw/caught were very small however.  and i've never been to wyman. also wachusett reservoir is right there I believe also any help with these 3 bodies of water would be great. basically looking for a decent place to fish from shore and also some new places to ise fish.

bassfisher32

« Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2004, 11:28 AM »
there is a pond i liked to fish right off rt 2  take rt two twords gardner and you can see the pond off two the right side just before the exit dont know the name but got alot of nice bass there last summer i think it is westminster but not sure
try pearly pond in rindge nh for ice fishing never had a bad day lots of weeds in summer but monster bass and pickril fish neer the franklin pearce collage beach

mullen2525

« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2004, 12:38 PM »
there is a pond i liked to fish right off rt 2  take rt two twords gardner and you can see the pond off two the right side just before the exit dont know the name but got alot of nice bass there last summer i think it is westminster but not sure

I think the pond your talkin about is round meadow pond  http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=19&n=4714177&e=262262&s=100&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

thats a link to a map of the area round meadow is marked let me know if thats it

troutfinder22

« Reply #9 on: Aug 18, 2004, 07:02 AM »
yes that is it there are many places on side of road to fish purple and red burkley power worms worked best last summer   there are a few ponds on rt 31  the last pond before you get to rt 140 on the left is good also i was told about a pond in the lemenster state forest that has some nice smallmouth but its about a mile or two walk

jf5

« Reply #10 on: Aug 19, 2004, 09:56 AM »
thanks jf  i'm looking more for a plce to fish from shore but i'll check those places out anyways.  also does anyone know of any info on wyman pond or round meadow pond both in westminster.  I ice fished round meadow last season and we know theres bass pickeral and perch, the only bass we saw/caught were very small however.  and i've never been to wyman. also wachusett reservoir is right there I believe also any help with these 3 bodies of water would be great. basically looking for a decent place to fish from shore and also some new places to ise fish.

Well, Wachusett is nothing but shore fishing, and miles of it.  Paradise poond, and Crocker Hill pond in Leominster SF have alot of shore acccess for warmwater fish. Not alot of huge fish, but good numbers of fish.

bassfisher32

« Reply #11 on: Aug 19, 2004, 10:32 AM »
thanks jf5 didnt know there names  got a nice smallie behind the old     church

jf5

« Reply #12 on: Aug 19, 2004, 12:54 PM »
Nice. How was the smallie??? Fished Wachusett a few weeks back, got one smally 2lb 10oz, and a 1lb 2z White perch.

bassfisher32

« Reply #13 on: Aug 20, 2004, 06:51 AM »
it was about 2 21\2  nice fight

jf5

« Reply #14 on: Aug 25, 2004, 12:59 PM »
Not bad at all.  :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.