FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 558778 times)

lowaccord66

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #3930 on: Mar 27, 2024, 06:39 PM »
I like being in contact with the flies (I normally fish 2) at all times.  My indiactor is bi-colored leader material.  I keep an eye on that during the drift.  Helps determine if the flies are getting down too.  If its moving as fast as the surface current I know my flies arent penetrating.  If its moving slower than the surface current I know Im in the zone. 

I do use indicators occasionally, when its windy or if I am fishing at a distance.  Ive played with the yarn indicators, those were fun.  What I got addicted to is fishing dry dropper.  Epecially around August/September.

Bartman44

« Reply #3931 on: Today at 09:11 AM »
As others have stated, indicators are situational. If I'm fishing flat runs in less than knee deep water, not needed most of the time, I like a short line.  If fishing in variable currents or deeper, I'll use them. I've tried the OROS indicators (small and extra small) and I like them alot because they are so easy to adjust up and down and even better, they are very easy to add/remove as I jump from spot to spot.

As Jon said, I use dry droppers quite a bit. Hang a nymph just behind your dry fly during a hatch and you can score on the nymph as well as the dry. You can also fish very shallow riffles with a dry dropper as the dry is less likely to spook a shallow fish.

oatkasut

« Reply #3932 on: Today at 09:47 AM »
All true Bart!
I took my brothers advise and tried the dry dropper using his tie a dry Mr. Rapidan size 14, a great indicator fly to which I suspended a pheasant tail nymph size 16 using about 12- 18 inches of 6X tippet. Attached to the dry on the hook bend   with a clinch knot. I found that the nymph out caught the dry  in a ratio of 4:1. It's always exciting when your indicator catches fish! I  don't use this rig much because I don't like to spend the time to rig up or casting it, , but it sure can help to catch more fish.

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
« Reply #3933 on: Today at 10:44 AM »
The dropper will always catch more. Unless it truly a fly bonanza.

Try some small poppers on a 6wt or lighter. for bass. FUN  Still some time for that to develop.
Internet heros give it a rest!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.