FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: NY Fisherman Hunting and BS'n Thread  (Read 343288 times)

kc

Re: NY Fisherman Hunting and BS'n Thread
« Reply #2910 on: Oct 17, 2023, 01:22 PM »
Got-em  This deer was a little bit of retribution as I missed one on Friday eve which was a little better deer. That same buck showed again Saturday morning and offered no shot even though he was within 14 yards. He had me stewing! Then that evening this one made the fatal mistake at a different location. He is now all boned out and, in the cooler, where he will spend 3 or 4 days. Then all but the loins will be turned into sausage.  I went back to take down my tree stand this afternoon and there was an eagle dining on the gut pile. I'm glad someone other than the coyotes benefited.

Tasty, nice job

filetandrelease

« Reply #2911 on: Oct 17, 2023, 01:30 PM »
 Good job guys and gals

62 & Done

« Reply #2912 on: Oct 17, 2023, 06:07 PM »
Thanks everybody. I absolutely live for this time of year. Now that the pressure is off, I have the entire rifle season to hunt the "dacks".  YA!!

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #2913 on: Oct 17, 2023, 09:11 PM »
Nice job everyone!!
Nice job findin em

62 & Done

« Reply #2914 on: Oct 21, 2023, 12:02 PM »
Another venison goes thru the Cabelas grinder. Made 32 lbs of loose sausage, another 6 of just ground meat for a big batch of chili, and the back straps got sliced up.
The next one will be stuffed into casings for sausage links. They're great over a fire or on the grill

Flukeman

« Reply #2915 on: Oct 21, 2023, 02:37 PM »
Looks great, what kind of things are you doing with the loose sausage?

62 & Done

« Reply #2916 on: Oct 21, 2023, 05:46 PM »
We use our imagination a lot. It makes great burgers. Breakfast patties, pizza, meatballs for spaghetti, Stuffed zucchini. The list goes on. Anything that can be done with Italian sweet sausage can be done with this. I still like a steak now and then, but the sausage has so many uses I only keep a few steaks.

I also like taking a precooked burger out onto the ice with me. It's wrapped in foil and I have a little heater to warm my lunch.  MMM

Flukeman

« Reply #2917 on: Oct 21, 2023, 06:33 PM »
Thanks for the ideas, now I just need to get a deer 😀

reeleyz

« Reply #2918 on: Oct 22, 2023, 11:53 AM »
That looks good!

I made a queso dip with ground venison the other day and it was tasty.

So many options with ground meat.

62 & Done

« Reply #2919 on: Oct 22, 2023, 01:45 PM »
That looks good!

I made a queso dip with ground venison the other day and it was tasty.

So many options with ground meat.
     Yes sir:   There is only one rule-  How creative do you want to be. We're freezing 8 qts of chili we made yesterday. Someday this week it's lasagna nite.

Venison sausage is a very simple project.  Prepacked seasonings are available everywhere. We like Italian sweet sausage by Pilot Seasonings. I buy it direct but it's available in many outlets in I think 12 oz pks.
 My formula is: 10 lbs lean venision to 2 lbs clean Pork fat from the local butcher. (not beef) Cube it up so that it mixes well in your grinder. Get a little frost in it and it grinds much better. A full pilot pkg is labeled for 25 lbs of pork but I will put 3  times my formula together per pkg and it is delicious.
 If the plan is to stuff weiners then add 1 cup ice water to each 10 & 2 batch. This aides in allowing you to make a nice uniform weiner as it slides thru your stuffer as well as the casing with ease.

Note:  my cabelas grinder pushes the product out too fast really to make a nice looking weiner as it is tough to control, I bought an independent sausage stuffer which is nothing more than a canister and plunger with a hand crank and different diameter tubes to choose from. It's actually fun to do. Casings are available in a salted pkg at your grocer.

Get busy and start acting like a butcher. You'll have fun doing it.

62 & Done

« Reply #2920 on: Oct 27, 2023, 08:37 AM »
Was way too hot to hunt yesterday. Spent the whole day on a mountain with crunchy leaves underfoot. A kill would have meant a murderous drag out . Saw one early that I couldn't identify but that was it. Sweet November is only a cold front away. ;D

reeleyz

« Reply #2921 on: Oct 27, 2023, 09:01 PM »
Perfect timing for this cold front. It should be game on. It’s time to get serious!!!

filetandrelease

« Reply #2922 on: Oct 28, 2023, 01:42 PM »
 A bud just sent me one his friend shot

hinkydo

« Reply #2923 on: Oct 28, 2023, 01:48 PM »
That's a Bruzer
  NICE

hinkydo

scout57