FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hudson River stripers  (Read 7818 times)

Gino@Rondout

Re: Hudson River stripers
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2018, 08:09 PM »
Thanks guys! No runs Sunday, and tried scapping almost 2 hours today in Highland & nothing. Only 1 herring on Sunday. It's been slow for everyone, talked to DEC and they said they talked to a few guys that only had 1 herring each, another guy had 6 that took him an hour to scap. Others in Highland have just been using live white perch & chunk without any luck. Going to get up early tmrw while the tide is higher and see if I can get some.

Gino@Rondout

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2018, 08:57 AM »
Managed 6 herring. 3:15-9 am, one run, ran close to shore and broke off probably on a sharp rock. Back out tmrw morning.

Gino@Rondout

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2018, 08:02 AM »
Was able to net my limit of herring but no runs. 3:20-8:15.

pikie

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2018, 08:31 AM »
Does anyone try live eels in the Hudson?  I've only been down there once, and caught a few on catfish rigs while waiting for a striper bite.  Didn't use them since I wasn't sure about legality, but have used them on long island successfully.  Are they legal to use??  If so, do they work?

Gino@Rondout

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2018, 11:32 AM »
You are allowed 25 eels per day, 9-14" that can only be used for bait. I know there are guys that drift them out in boats that have luck. Be prepared for some wicked eel knots though lol. Good luck out there.

lowaccord66

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2018, 01:32 PM »
Beat the eels a bit before casting gino or keep them on ice and they dont knot up.  Dont be afraid to fish them dead but if you do, break the vertabrea for more action.  Eels work all year.  Ive gotten holdovers in March on them.

Gino@Rondout

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2018, 08:13 AM »
Fished with a few other guys in Highland, 4:15-8:40, plenty of herring but no runs for anyone.

Gino@Rondout

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2018, 08:54 PM »
1:30-6:30 pm yesterday in Highland, incoming tide. One quick run & drop and got this 26" white catfish on live. Back out early tmrw morning for incoming.

Swampking89

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2018, 03:19 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong but that looks like a channel cat to me.still a nice one!

Gino@Rondout

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2018, 07:09 PM »
Fished 4:30-9 AM plenty of herring , one missed run & a fish that broke me off near the rocks. Fished again 4:30-7:45 PM , only managed 3 herring scapping the whole time, one run & drop and something else fooling with one that killed the herring, probably a big channel cat.... Talked to a boater who fished 1-6 PM and got 3 stripers. Slow on herring for everyone and guys fishing with bloods said it was slow as well. Back out tmrw morning.

Gino@Rondout

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2018, 04:31 PM »
Fished 3:30-9 AM, netted my herring limit, one run & drop as well as a 23" white cat. My friend went out with some guys drifting live, bloods and artificials near the Esopus Lighthouse and only got 2 30-31"ers. Only marking a few here & there, and apparently none of the other boaters were having much luck.

Gino@Rondout

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2018, 09:15 PM »
Couldn't scap any herring today in Highland, going to try early tmrw morning. Fished with bloods, 2 channel cats, white cat, eel & 2 white perch.

lowaccord66

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2018, 05:40 AM »
Couldn't scap any herring today in Highland, going to try early tmrw morning. Fished with bloods, 2 channel cats, white cat, eel & 2 white perch.

If you take a couple bloods and put them in cheesecloth and seal with a tiny rubber band,  put the hook through below the rubber band.  That will prevent all the bycatch.  If I remember correctly we would put 3 bloods in the cloth. 

Gino@Rondout

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2018, 12:21 PM »
Thanks for the tip lowaccord66.

Well I fished this morning 5-9, I did manage to get a herring right off the bat and had it out the whole time and not a run on it. No other herring and two white cats on chunk.

lowaccord66

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2018, 01:20 PM »
Np gino.  Some local helped me out with that one years ago.  It works nicely! 

Tough am huh?  Thats the problem with herring fisheries.  One day the bass are stacked in a spot hammering.  The next day, maybe not. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.