FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Walleyes in small rivers  (Read 3648 times)

iceon

Walleyes in small rivers
« on: May 18, 2004, 02:52 PM »
I live in Indiana and fish a small river alot for smallies etc...
on occasion I can get a walleye or two . I'll go back to the same areas and nothing
You can't troll on the rivers around where I fish . So how would you find the walleye would you think.
                            iceon

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
Re: Walleyes in small rivers
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 05:28 PM »
diffently, like slipbob said, you got to be there then they start to become active, which is about an hour before dark and into the night. They will come out of deep holes at dark and feed probably all night. Use rapalas, jigs, worms, minnows, husky jerks. And change up your retrieve, never really know just what will trigger a bite.
Good luck.  :)
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

buzz bait

• save the walleyes
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 11:20 PM »
whats up iceon . i do a lot of eye chaseing on the susquehanna in the southern teir area of new york 90% of it is trolling . the area of  river where i fish [owego] varies for 3 to 25 fow. the best trolling depth on the river for me is 5 to 10 fow.it seem to me thats were they hold up during high sun times of the day .trolling a small shad or a rapala ticking bottom puts a easy meal right in front of thier faces . believe it or not this works. i got a 10# at about 1 o'clock in the pm in 6 fow. that was in october on a blue bird day. :o .o.k. back to the river you fish what it like ???. got any questions just ask always willing to help out . :)

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 05:11 PM »
I would try drifting livebait like worms or minnows through the deeper areas with slower current. When it gets pretty dark, switch to rattling crankbaits or spinners fished along the bottom. But livebait drifting is the deadliest way to fish most fish in rivers. A spinner tipped with some crawler might be better than a plain spinner as well.

Tyler

iceon

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004, 01:47 PM »
In the river where I fish it's about 25 to 75 ft wide and on average its 2.5 to 3 ft. deep
 and a few holes where its real deep 12 to 15ft. Lots of log jams and the current is about 3 to 4 mph give or take . I usually cast alot of crankbaits.  Thanks for the info that you guys took the time to give......
                                                                 iceon

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2004, 06:54 PM »
In the river where I fish it's about 25 to 75 ft wide and on average its 2.5 to 3 ft. deep
 and a few holes where its real deep 12 to 15ft. Lots of log jams and the current is about 3 to 4 mph give or take . I usually cast alot of crankbaits.  Thanks for the info that you guys took the time to give......
                                                                 iceon

Like mack said try bouncing a crawler or a minnow along the bottom, but do this in holes. Make sure you have plenty of weight, but not too much. You want it to be ticking the bottom but not snagging, its a lot like nymph fishing but a little slower. Fish the holes, cast right along the current's edge at about an 11 or 10 o clock angle.  you should get all kinds of fish in the rivers like this. Also, try lipless cranks like a bill lewis rattletrap in the deeper holes. You can never go wrong with a curly-tail grub. Generally, stay away from the shallower areas, fish the holes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.