FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Spinner rigs!  (Read 6559 times)

slipbob

Spinner rigs!
« on: Jun 08, 2004, 03:32 PM »
Does anybody here regularly use spinner rigs or as they are sometimes called worm harnesses to fish eyes?  If so do you have a blade type preference, Colorado, Willowleaf, or an Indiana style blades.  The willowleaf spins at a faster speed than the Colorado style and is usually recommended for when fish are more aggressive and will respond to a faster troll usually over 2 mph.  Some articles I have read recommend certain blade types for certain times of year as well.  I have always relied on the commercial rigs but have now purchased a kit from Cabela's to tie up my own rigs and am excited about the possibilities of having so many colors and options.  The problem I have with the commercial rigs is the line they use seems more fit for tuna than walleye and I think by using my own rigs with something like 10 or 12lb florocarbon I should be able to increase the strike ratio.  What do you think about this and does anyone tie up their own spinner rigs?

HoagieAB

Re: Spinner rigs!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2004, 03:57 PM »
Hey Slipbob:  I set up all my own spinner rigs for walleye.  They are absolutely deadly when worked with a bottom bouncer out here in Alberta.  I prefer the colorado blades in different sizes and colours.  Flourescent orange seems to be a good one.  I will generally run two blades on my rig, but sometimes a single works best.  I set mine up with 8 lb vanish, and it works great.  I also use Gamakatsu hooks in several different sizes and colours.

eyedoktr

« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2004, 05:32 PM »
I routinely tie up lots of rigs for the Lake Erie walleye. We generally use large willow leaf blades in whatever color is working. Beads are added above top hook. We use just enough beads so that the blade can't reach the hook. I almost always snell a single hook up top and a treble at the bottom. I too prefer Vanish flouro but in the leader material, not refiller spool. I have never had any luck with a leech, I always use a crawler.
Pete Lewis

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #3 on: Jun 08, 2004, 05:37 PM »
check out this site for bulk spinners, hooks, lure making stuff, etc. I use them all the time to get my blades for my trout worm spinners.
http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Items.aspx?hierId=luremaking&disp=list
And there catalogs are free. Need to get clevises for the blades, too, don't forget.
I get most of my beads from the craft sections in various stores, wallyworld, and any crafty store.
 ;D
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

HoagieAB

« Reply #4 on: Jun 09, 2004, 09:19 AM »
Slipbob:  I only ever run a single hook.  I generally run leetches and minnows more than worms.  Leetches seem to be the key out here.  I agree with you on the floro.  I use it for lead on my float rod, for lead on my tip-ups for walleye on the hard stuff and always for my spinner rigs.  I find the key is to make your rigs longer than shorter (6 ft at least).  This gets them well away from the bottom bouncer.  The nice things is that you can troll them fast or slow roll them, depending on the mood of the fish.

Hoagie

eyedoktr

« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2004, 12:52 PM »
Slipbob, sorry to hear you won't be able to get out for a couple of days :-(  . Myself? I'll be on the Allegheny Reservoir (Kinzua) by 8 tomorrow morning and will be fishing there all day, every day, through sunday. I'll definitely be tying up some spinners .

Another tip for all. If the water is real cold or conditions dictate that you need to troll/drift real slowly, try using Mac's Smile Blades. They are excellent for this type of fishing.
Pete Lewis

Jigwiggler

« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2004, 09:59 AM »
I tie alot of my own rigs.  I like Colorado or Indiana blades for most applications with Flo. orange, chartruse and gold being my fav. blade colors.  My crawler rigs have 2 hooks the first being a snelled Eagle Claw baitholder and the second a Gamagatsu #8 treble.  For minnows I run the same set up but opt for #4 single and #6 treble.

Slipbob, if you haven't already, try running some glow beads on your rig. ;)
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Jigwiggler

« Reply #7 on: Jun 10, 2004, 04:30 PM »
Slipbob,  That looks like a great starter kit!!  You should be able to make plenty quality, eye catching rigs out of that one.  I used to get my glow beads form a local supplier that has since went out of business.  Where did you order yours from?  I still have a good supply but I don't want to be unprepared when the time comes to order again. ;)

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2004, 12:27 PM »
great article, I've got to study up on this method, sent it to my fishin buddy too, thanks.  ;)
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Rusty1034

• He's gota be happy with that one
« Reply #9 on: Aug 10, 2004, 12:20 AM »
Howdy All,

Thanks to this post and a great local season, I 've started tying my own worm spinners.  Being a little shot on patience, I've discovered that snelling hooks isn't as easy as the diagrams make them out to be. I purchased a little red plastic device with as brass tube through the middle which is supposed to make snelling a snap. It hasn't. 

The problem is that the mono I'm using keeps coming uncoiled as I  attempt to snug the knot onto the hook shank.  Plan B is to try a different type of hook sneller, sold as "Rudy's Snell Tyer", and/or try using Fire line so that the knot doesn't spring open when I'm trying to finish the knot.

Any words of wisdom on how to end this frustration ?  I'd like to tie my own with a single octopus hook on top, followed by two trebels.

Thanks- Rusty
Eat farm raised fish
Practice catch and release.
Walleyes get released in the fryer

Jigwiggler

« Reply #10 on: Aug 10, 2004, 06:27 AM »
Howdy All,

Thanks to this post and a great local season, I 've started tying my own worm spinners.  Being a little shot on patience, I've discovered that snelling hooks isn't as easy as the diagrams make them out to be. I purchased a little red plastic device with as brass tube through the middle which is supposed to make snelling a snap. It hasn't. 

The problem is that the mono I'm using keeps coming uncoiled as I  attempt to snug the knot onto the hook shank.  Plan B is to try a different type of hook sneller, sold as "Rudy's Snell Tyer", and/or try using Fire line so that the knot doesn't spring open when I'm trying to finish the knot.

Any words of wisdom on how to end this frustration ?  I'd like to tie my own with a single octopus hook on top, followed by two trebels.

Thanks- Rusty

I just pinch the coils between 2 fingers while cinching down the snell.  If I am having a particularly hard time I will place the tag end of line in a vise in a sense giving me a third hand, pinch the knot with one hand and pull the hook and mainline together to cinch down.  Hope this helps!

Rusty1034

• He's gota be happy with that one
« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2004, 12:47 AM »
Thanks Sli9pbob,

At first I didn't thnk that technique  of snelling would work, but after I thought about it and gave it a try, I discovered I was dead wrong. It works great, and I have a bunch of new worm spinners to try now. Thanks for the help

Rusty
Eat farm raised fish
Practice catch and release.
Walleyes get released in the fryer

Jigwiggler

« Reply #12 on: Aug 14, 2004, 07:04 AM »
  There is something satisfying about catching fish on a lure that you made. 

I agree.  I tie all my own spinner rigs and enjoy catching fish on them.  I used to make a lot of my own lures too.  I would carve them out of bass wood, some were quite productive.  No time for that kind of stuff anymore though.  :-\

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.