FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: basic setup any help please  (Read 2658 times)

whitebassbenny

basic setup any help please
« on: Aug 17, 2004, 09:44 PM »
hey , i live near a lake that was stocked with walleye (in2001) and i and woundering how to catch them what are some easyer ways of getting them. they is a rock wall/drop with big boulders at the lake in  0-12ft of rocky bolders near a dam and i have a boat that i could use to get near it . what type of equepment lures live bait and line type and every thing else i would need to catch (or try to catch some of these fish) . ANY HELP PLEASE

thanks Ben   

TroutFishingBear

Re: basic setup any help please
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2004, 10:28 PM »
Well, I'm assuming you have an adequate reel and rod.

For line, I like 6-10 lb. orginal stren, depending on cover/ size of fish.

For lures, I like rapala tail dancers, and I also like small bill lewis rattletraps and cordell super spots.
For plastics, a 2" mister twister works quite well.
Using a spinner/worm setup can work well too. For more info on that see slipbob's post dedicated to them.

I really dont use bait for walleye much.

Just remember for walleye to fish the twilight periods, meaning sunup and sunset. You must stay late to catch them, meaning after sundown.

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2004, 11:44 PM »
I like to use two different approaches for walleyes. Crankbaits work best about half the time, and jigs work best about half the time.
I like limp six pound mono for walleye fishing. A softer action rod is needed for cranks to help keep fish hooked.  I like wally divers, tail dancers, rat L traps, and cordell super spots. Other cranks can work well too.
For jigs I like 3 inch twistertail grubs in whites, yellows, chartreuse, browns, smokes, baitfish colors, and purple. If the bottom isn't snaggy, I use 1/8 or 1/4 ounce gamakatsu jigheads. If the bottom is snaggy, 1/8 or 1/4 ounce lindy no snagg timber rock jigs get the call. You need a stiffer rod with more backbone for sensitivity and hookset power with jigs.
Good old bait is hard to beat when waldoes are tough. Minnows under a slipbobber are basically unbeatable setups for livebait. Just remember like TFB said to concentrate on the two twilight periods. Chances are you will suceed with these tactics. If not, their probably aren't many walleyes in the lake.

Tyler

buzzbomb

« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2004, 09:26 AM »
Yellow jigs!  It's hard to beat yellow jigs in almost any conditions.  single or double twist tails, maribou, yarn........  put an in-line swivel 18" or so up from the terminal end for line twist...I use #6 mono.   For overcast, or when they won't take yellow go to black or another dark color ('eyes love leeches, remember?). If they're there, but biting too light, tip with bait and slow down.  I've got a dozen colors or so in my jig box, but yellow's the one 90% of the time. ;)

slim slinger

« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2004, 07:40 PM »
experiment! troll bottom bouncers with spinner rigs or crankbaits. Jig vertical or cast out the jig head out with a 3 inch( my fav) twister tail or live bait into current if your river fishing and just let her tick around on the bottom. if you have sonar and you know eyes are there dont give up! keep going at them with everything you have eventually you will find the perfect presentation they will not be able to pass up.
Play with the color of your lure, the size and even the action. sometimes you'll need something with wild action and sometimes you'll need something with just a little. if your trolling, boat speed is critical. Planer boards, get those lines out there, when trolling for spooky fish these are sometimes a must.
I am definitly no slipbob but these are many of the things i have picked up on catchin eyes.... basically jut get out there spend time on them and have fun doing it!

Slim

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.