FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trapper Did you see this one ?  (Read 6197 times)

Badbrad2186

Re: Trapper Did you see this one ?
« Reply #30 on: Jul 17, 2019, 04:07 PM »
NO YOU CAN NOT!  you are not  supposed to target these  fish in any way !  no catch and release  fishing ....... they should  just stock more  or use the money from this   to better the  fishing and access  we have ....again my opinion

I do not believe these fish will ever  be self sufficant ,that's why they disappeared to begin with

I didn't mean it as targeting them cause I doubt anyone even knows what amor where to target then with. But if you happen to hook up with one enjoy it take pictures and release it

seamonkey84

« Reply #31 on: Jul 17, 2019, 08:37 PM »
Seamonkey84,

Were you around in the 70's when both the smelt and alewives were extremely abundant? I remember seeing fish that looked like they were on steroids.

That said as you probably know alewives aren't the best forage as they can cause a vitamin deficiency in salmonids. 

https://www.usgs.gov/news/lack-vitamin-b1-killing-great-lakes-fish
No, born in ‘84 lol. I know that the salmon don’t do well feeding on alewife. The smelt population took a big hit when the alewife got into the lakes.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

joefish1

« Reply #32 on: Jul 18, 2019, 05:49 AM »
They do get big:  The Atlantic Sturgeon is a large-bodied, slow-growing and late-maturing anadromous fish, which lives and grows in brackish, salty water, but spawns in fresh water. The largest fish to be captured in the St. Lawrence River (160 kg or 350 lb) was estimated to be about 60 years old.

big_guy_13021

« Reply #33 on: Jul 19, 2019, 09:41 AM »
Believe it or not there's alot of sturgeon in the seneca river also..alot of them at the dam near cayuga lake

Badbrad2186

« Reply #34 on: Jul 19, 2019, 09:44 AM »
Believe it or not there's alot of sturgeon in the seneca river also..alot of them at the dam near cayuga lake

I believe it but what I don't believe is that you have ever caught one as it's about 1000x bigger than anything you have ever hooked in to lol. Just kindding buddy it more like 10000x bigger than anything you have ever caught

bigal409

« Reply #35 on: Jul 19, 2019, 10:53 AM »
I believe it but what I don't believe is that you have ever caught one as it's about 1000x bigger than anything you have ever hooked in to lol. Just kindding buddy it more like 10000x bigger than anything you have ever caught
LOL  :rotflol: :rotflol:

touge30

« Reply #36 on: Jul 19, 2019, 11:42 AM »
i catch short nosed ones in the hudson all the time

Badbrad2186

« Reply #37 on: Jul 19, 2019, 11:45 AM »
LOL  :rotflol: :rotflol:

Ypu just enjoy that I pick on him. Your all good sports about the ball busting we do here. But so we don't get in trouble this winter we need our own topic on ICE SHANTY

bigal409

« Reply #38 on: Jul 19, 2019, 12:59 PM »

Ypu just enjoy that I pick on him. Your all good sports about the ball busting we do here. But so we don't get in trouble this winter we need our own topic on ICE SHANTY
I agree. We can call it " The guy who likes to take pictures of foul hooked fish and dinks"  :whistling: :whistling:

Badbrad2186

« Reply #39 on: Jul 19, 2019, 05:30 PM »
I agree. We can call it " The guy who likes to take pictures of foul hooked fish and dinks"  :whistling: :whistling:

Nah better yet we will call it "Only chance little guy doesn't out fish him"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.