FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Walleye location in the fall in a lake  (Read 3648 times)

TroutFishingBear

Walleye location in the fall in a lake
« on: Aug 08, 2004, 09:02 AM »
where have you guys noticed the walleyes to be in the fall? What kind of structure/depth/dropoff (if any) should I look for? What should I use?

Thanks

buzz bait

• save the walleyes
Re: Walleye location in the fall in a lake
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2004, 08:20 PM »
its hard to say but look for schools of bait fish they should be feeding like crazy for winter .from what i see in n.y ,lakes and rivers fish shallow water from mid septemer when the water starts cooling till it get real cold then they head to deeper water for the winter. on the susquehanna river we fish 3 to 8 fow till around december depending on the temp. i did find out one thing when were getting a lot of fish small ones the same size move and target single fish they uasaly the bigger eyes . you might have to troll to locate them first once you do you can pick away at them jigging or throwing sticks or cranks . hope this helps

Jigwiggler

« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2004, 05:59 PM »
I fish mainly jigs when the water cools down.  It's tough to beat a jig and 4-6" chub for big fall eyes.  Look for them shallower than you found them all summer and to be active for most of the day.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

OTIS

« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2004, 12:37 PM »
They will be feeding in preparation for Winter, follow the wind and fish creek mouths and bays.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2004, 05:10 PM »
Thanks slipbob and everyone else, I know of about 3 spots in my lake that are transition zones from rocky riprap to a siltier bottom, and I know where one teeny creek comes in, and it is also a transition zone from the dam to a silty spot. I also have the lures so I should be a little more productive this time around than last.

thanks.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2004, 01:40 PM »
One more question... the whether. If it's cloudy will the walleyes tend to bite all day? Will the afternoon bite be as good?

Scott

• Administrator
  • Jig Jig for a big pig
« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2004, 02:27 PM »
Been my finding that walleyes eat/bite all day if you can find them, troll troll troll or drift with a jig, location is key, sometimes eyes will be in a spot that you could never guess. Walleyes seem to feast especially during the post spawn-flats/weedbeds/ even off- shore reefs can be hot, early fall-structure, and right after first ice just about anywhere. Most lakes walleyes will move in at dusk/dawn during the low light periods chasing fry into the shallows for easy pickings, easy for them and easy for you to find the eyes. Slipbobs suggestion of going to the transitional zone where a steep dropoff is a good bet in the fall. Offshore reefs can also be loaded with eyes in the fall.

Clear water on a bright sunny day tends to push them deep although in stained/cloudy water they can stay in the shallows all day, depends on your circumstances, and wind is always good "walleye chop". I was always told to fish walleye late at night but have found over the years that you can catch them at any time of day.

Walleyes seem to be able to adapt to all kinds of circumstances, on a local lake I fish, I have caught eyes literally everywhere on the lake... from right on shore on a sunny 90 degree day to the deep holes on a cloudy cool day.

Baits I love to search with, My top search lures;
Fast 1-4mph: Trolled Thundersticks, Rapalas, Slow 0.1-2mph: Night Crawler Harnesses.
But give me a jig-n-crawler any day.

For smaller eyes think finesse... light line, light as jig as you can get away with, for big walleyes think BIG for a 30" fish a #13 rapala or #9 spinner blade is not to big.

-Scott

One more question... the whether. If it's cloudy will the walleyes tend to bite all day? Will the afternoon bite be as good?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.