FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: White Perch in the County  (Read 3869 times)

mudchuck

Re: White Perch in the County
« Reply #15 on: Sep 29, 2021, 07:42 AM »
If those lakes are anything like what we experienced up here in the Lake Champlain area, well, get ready because WP are voracious and grow quick.
About 12 years ago we experienced a massive build up of WP in LC and it's only been the last couple of ice fishing seasons where there appears to be a decline in their population being noticed by many that ice fish in known congregation locations like St. Albans bay.
Many pulled them thru the ice by the 100's of pounds, sometimes seeing upwards of 300# caught by some.
They also follow the wally's up the river during pre-spawn & spawn and eat the eggs which is not good.
During the summer, they're being caught by salmon trollers as a by-catch and it's a nuisance.

filetandrelease

« Reply #16 on: Sep 29, 2021, 09:00 AM »

Same here in upstate New York they can take over smaller bodies of water
   And they are super aggressive

jacksmelt

« Reply #17 on: Oct 04, 2021, 07:07 PM »
I caught a white perch in the thoroughfare near the bridge by Long so they are surly in Long also. I am putting my money on some dumb ass bucket bio putting them in Cross as thats where the first ones I herd of in that area.
i guy me and Matt know has a camp in sinclair cove and gets many big ones off his dock the last couple summers. suprised we didnt get any last spring. Juelles St. peter told me he knows some guys catching them by the bucket fulls in there on a regular basis.
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

JDK

« Reply #18 on: Oct 05, 2021, 09:33 AM »
I caught a white perch in the thoroughfare near the bridge by Long so they are surly in Long also. I am putting my money on some dumb ass bucket bio putting them in Cross as thats where the first ones I herd of in that area.

I initially thought that they were put there intentionally and then sort of gravitated to... they were in someone's bait bucket and were dumped inadvertently.  I'm now leaning towards they were put in the FRC intentionally. 

No one will ever convince me that we don't have bucket biologists on this site....  Be it downstate or up here.
# SAND

teampar

• "It is what it is"
« Reply #19 on: Oct 05, 2021, 01:18 PM »
I initially thought that they were put there intentionally and then sort of gravitated to... they were in someone's bait bucket and were dumped inadvertently.  I'm now leaning towards they were put in the FRC intentionally. 

No one will ever convince me that we don't have bucket biologists on this site....  Be it downstate or up here.

After what I have seen this year I would have to agree with you.

gamefisher

« Reply #20 on: Oct 05, 2021, 05:37 PM »

After what I have seen this year I would have to agree with you.

I'm not sure if you guys get the me.gov reports like I do but I see a couple guys from the County were just charged with illegally importing fish up there, not sure if related to the perch problem or something else.   Environmental terrorism is everywhere sadly,  you guys aren't immune even in Gods country.

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #21 on: Oct 06, 2021, 07:14 AM »
I'm not sure if you guys get the me.gov reports like I do but I see a couple guys from the County were just charged with illegally importing fish up there, not sure if related to the perch problem or something else.   Environmental terrorism is everywhere sadly,  you guys aren't immune even in Gods country.
That was the one about the people importing channel cats for a private pond (that could outflow to Eagle), correct?

Stuff is getting absolutely bat-ish crazy now. I caught a largemouth by Weldon a couple of weeks back. I have never caught a largie out of the Penobscot, even though we all knew it was gonna happen since they got into Pushaw, but to catch one that far up was definitely unsettling. Obviously the pike are more of a concern but still, we need to get a clamp on this stuff. And I say that as a bass angler. Penobscot smallies are what got me hooked on fishing and I can only imagine how the pike and lmb are going to effect the pretty great smallmouth fishery, not to mention the dwindling (in the main stem) Trout and Salmon populations.

Steve H.

« Reply #22 on: Oct 06, 2021, 12:49 PM »
I have never caught a largie out of the Penobscot, even though we all knew it was gonna happen since they got into Pushaw, but to catch one that far up was definitely unsettling.

Caught one in Howland this past August, above the dam.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

jacksmelt

« Reply #23 on: Oct 14, 2021, 07:05 AM »
pike in the penobscot? i expected to hear the muskie got in there as Baker l has tribs connecting to it but hadent heard pike were in there.
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #24 on: Oct 28, 2021, 02:45 PM »
Yep, they've been in Pushaw for (at least) the past 10-20 years now. At first IFW was netting and electrofishing Pushaw Stream, but they've all but given up now. No barriers are between there besides a dam on the lake outflow (that freely allows fish travel over it and through the fishway) that I've caught pike on both sides of and one set of rapids that I've also caught pike on both sides of.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.