FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Oliver/olin  (Read 1608 times)

PEARCHEYES

Oliver/olin
« on: Aug 26, 2021, 01:00 PM »
Fished with my brother who’s in from Texas,we fished for bass then trout after dark .Marked some pods of trout in 25 to 30 ft depths but no real big groups.We had maybe four hits and ended the night with only one rainbow.Still a lot of fun .Frying up the trout for dinner tonight.

Hexagenia51

Re: Oliver/olin
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2021, 03:22 PM »
Good job! With this heat we’ve been having probably pretty tough out there. I haven’t been on the lakes since spring. Fished some streams out west and up north and did well. Hex

bigfish4me

« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2021, 05:13 PM »
Srry for the late report but was on Oliver this past Sat. Found fish in 68 ft of water 33 ft down easy limit of bows

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2021, 07:38 PM »
Srry for the late report but was on Oliver this past Sat. Found fish in 68 ft of water 33 ft down easy limit of bows

Any holdovers or just from this year's plant?  No browns?

I'll bet they are easy to locate as the thermocline is probably really narrow.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bigfish4me

« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2021, 10:19 PM »
All fish were 14 and 15 inches no browns

buck toenges

« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2021, 10:28 PM »
Has anyone caught any trout at Oliver lately trolling/down rigging?  The responses that said they caught trout was it still fishing/night fishing?  If you caught trout down 33' down rigging that would indicate pretty decent water down there for this time of year.  If trout don't have good depleted oxygen they wouldn't chase a bait but if somebody stuck a nightcrawler or minnow in front of them they would take it.

Just curious  Buck

bigfish4me

« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2021, 11:57 PM »
Put abait in front of them lol

PEARCHEYES

« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2021, 09:41 AM »
Hit Olin last night ,hooked two nice rainbows before nine and lost both.Fished untill 11 and not another bite.Still was a great night to be out

buck toenges

« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2021, 01:28 PM »
Any reports on trout fishing at Oliver?  Saw some trollers out in the morning the last few days.  I have been trying for smallies and perch.  Caught some trout mid sept down rigging 35' feet down.  Caught a few higher up but most were down 35'.  Water has not turned yet.  Top water temp has been in the high 60's.  Seen a lot of splashes over deep water the last week.

On another topic the few weed banks left on Oliver have been decimated this year.  The only weed patch left of any size on the main lake is by dove creek.  The association sprayed and killed the eurasin millfoil on the east end of the lake and around the north eastern point.  I think the local cottage owners are destroying what ever weeds are left.

Buck

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2021, 02:48 PM »
Any reports on trout fishing at Oliver?  Saw some trollers out in the morning the last few days.  I have been trying for smallies and perch.  Caught some trout mid sept down rigging 35' feet down.  Caught a few higher up but most were down 35'.  Water has not turned yet.  Top water temp has been in the high 60's.  Seen a lot of splashes over deep water the last week.

On another topic the few weed banks left on Oliver have been decimated this year.  The only weed patch left of any size on the main lake is by dove creek.  The association sprayed and killed the eurasin millfoil on the east end of the lake and around the north eastern point.  I think the local cottage owners are destroying what ever weeds are left.

Buck

Buck,

Eurasion Milfoil is an nonnative invasive that will displace out the native macrophytes and reduce aquatic plant diversity. Getting rid of it should allow native macrophytes to take hold again.

Eurasion Milfoil can impair water quality because it produces dense stands that decompose and it shuts out sunlight. The dense stands are poor spawning areas and can produce stunted fish due to greatly reduced predation.

Not only boating but dense stands can make fishing virtually impossible.

I'm not big proponent of killing aquatic weeds, but this one you don't want in your lake. 

Some lake associations are spending thousands of dollars in herbicides in lakes that tend to be shallow as these macrophyte completely take over a lake.

On the other hand treating it will probably end up being a continuous battle as you rarely get rid of it all. And there are always idiots that bring in new weed fragments  with their boats, trailers, and inboard and outboard motor wells.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.