FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Launch Ramp Idiots  (Read 13080 times)

Bailbuster

Re: Launch Ramp Idiots
« Reply #15 on: Jul 26, 2007, 06:15 PM »
I was at Cashmans  in Newburyport and watched 3 guys from the islands try to back in , they all tried and all failed ,finally they unhooked the trailer and walked the 14 footer to the water then backed the car down and hooked it back up.There was at least 6 boats backed up by the time they got in the water.then the motor would not start.It was pretty comical.BB

knight rider

« Reply #16 on: Jul 26, 2007, 07:07 PM »
Sounds pathetic. They should practice backing up in a big parking lot.

doctariAFC

« Reply #17 on: Jul 27, 2007, 08:49 AM »
Here's another story.  Don't know if it qualifies as idiot, but it was unreal.

Several years ago, at Long Point State Park Marina, Chautauqua Lake, the group that runs the Summer Winds tour boat was either pulling the monstrosity out or just launching it.  I don't know which, as this was mid-June and the SUmmer WInd is normally on the water by Memorial Day.

Anyhow, this is a very large watercraft.  I couldn't believe they actually had a trailer for it.  The trailer was being appropriately pulled by a semi.  Apparently there was some sort of issue with how the vessel was on the trailer or how it was backed in and it wasn't able to launch (as I said, I don't know if they were trying to pull it out or launch it).  Whatever the issue was, it demanded the boat and trailer be pulled from the water, as it either to straighten it out for another launch attempt, or it needed inspection or something.  Regardless, when the trucker tried to pull it out, it wouldn't come out!  So, a little more gas.....  Nada....  A lot more gas!!!  Ripped the front Axle right off the semi!

So now we haev the Summer Wind, partially in the water on its trailer, with a semi that has its front axle on the ground, and two ramps are tied up, plus getting aroiund the mess is difficult at best.  Then the curious crowd of onlookers gather.  The entire launch area is now congested with the big boat, broken truck and a crowd of gawkers.  Trucks and trailers lining up to either launch or retrieve their vessels.  Traffic at stand still....  My boat was already in the water, and I had pulled up for lunch at Capt. Jack's and was just watching the nonsense from a safe distance.  I guess another Semi showed up about an hour later and pulled the boat from the water, dragging the crippled semi in the process.

What a freaking mess.
"Beer is the living proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

Ice Dawg

« Reply #18 on: Jul 27, 2007, 12:59 PM »
I do apologize but I speak my mind if I see crap like this going down.  It's one thing if it's a elderly couple or something but hey if your a flat out idiot I will inform you of your mental retarded state. 

My wife and I are an elderly couple and she backs the boat and trailer into the the water better than a lot of men do. It is fun to see guys start elbowing and talking back and forth when they see her start down the ramp. Usually when she pulls the boat out of the water they are just standing there with their mouths open. Usually their comments are something like "Farm girl right?". Naw, just one that isn't afraid to try new things and can listen to a bit of advice.  :o ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Mooter

• Tight lines and Throbbing Rods
« Reply #19 on: Jul 27, 2007, 02:41 PM »
Thats awesome.  Good to here your still rollin to the lake.  I spend alot of time with my Gramps on the water and he refuses (not that I haven't done it a million time) to let me back his boat into the water.  Old habits eh.

I'm a success oriented fishermen.

snaggerr

• Do what you have to!!
« Reply #20 on: Aug 02, 2007, 08:57 PM »
About 2months ago had a guy and his girl on 2 jet skies come in ,while I just tied off waiting to get my truck he slams my boat and cant stop jet ski. I load my boat he loads his jet ski and takes off .Minor damage but wheres the courtesy.Dont even say a word.No pen for plate # my lost.Thats why I carry a paintball gun know.Some satisfaction.LOL
Since there is six times as much water as there is land any man can plainly see that the good lord intended for man to fish six times as much as he works-

Ice Dawg

« Reply #21 on: Aug 03, 2007, 12:53 PM »
I pulled my boat up to the dock and let my wife off to bring the pickup and trailer down to load me. Nothing unusual with this. I'm sitting there holding onto the dock when a guy runs his jet ski up on the sand next to the ramp, runs up to his pickup and comes back with a can of gas. He then proceeded to fill his tank and spilled gas all over the launch. I was sooooo happy to get loaded and out of the launch before he blew us both up. His budddies were making passes right off the end of the dock doing about 50 mph the whole time I was waiting to load. The law says no speed above an idle withing 100 feet of the launch dock. It's no wonder that jet skis are being outlawed in more places all the time.  >:(
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

trapper2003

« Reply #22 on: Aug 03, 2007, 03:01 PM »
my friend was putting is boat in and it was still on trailer and a women on jet sky hit it !!!!!!

knight rider

« Reply #23 on: Oct 22, 2007, 06:55 PM »
I love when a caravan with kayaks pull  right down to the bottom of the launch and start slowly unloading. Like those things a sooo  heavy. Seen it multiple times. They don't even care  that your  waiting to get off the lake.

swampbuckster

• Happy for open water!
« Reply #24 on: Oct 22, 2007, 08:27 PM »
I take pride in  launching my boat fast as possible. And when I take people along that don't know the routine, oh man, do I get upset. This should be an olympic sport...or at least broadcasted on ESPN.
SPEED LAUNCHING: Who can put it in and pull it out the fastest?? (ha ha ha, no pun intended!)

Live to Fish, Fish to Live

RickTheRock

« Reply #25 on: Oct 22, 2007, 08:41 PM »
lol. I agree

bigfish1556

« Reply #26 on: Oct 22, 2007, 09:34 PM »
Knight rider - I feel your pain..........we hit a similar thing on Skaneateles lake (NY - finger lakes) several times at a State launch.  Spent all day fishing, and were well ready to get the boat out and head home for some brews and a fish fry.........people were launching and pulling out boats AND launching on one side of the launch, and the other side of the launch was occupied by several kayakers and their vehicles (there's plenty of room to pull out of the way). These folks proceeded to gab and throw on wetsuits, slowly plan their scenic paddle, etc., whilst a line of trailers slowly accumulated.............Guess they figured the signs saying "Do not proceed beyond this point until ready to launch" only referred to power boats.  Darn snoots...............:) Should've crunched some kevlar that day.........
We may say of angling, as Dr. Boteler said of strawberries, “Doubtless God could have made a better berry, but doubtless God never did;” and so, if I might be judge, God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.  -Izaak Walton

knight rider

« Reply #27 on: Oct 23, 2007, 04:28 PM »
Exactly, I've been kayaking before but I'd never dare  get in front of a bass boat, or any boat  trying to put in or get off water, how rude.

trapper2003

« Reply #28 on: Oct 23, 2007, 07:55 PM »
i have 2 kayaks the whole idea i got one was so i wouldn't need to use a launch ;D

Neptune

« Reply #29 on: Oct 24, 2007, 08:37 AM »
There should be a requirement that in order to license your trailered boat you need to pass a "Backing" test and you have to pass a "Ramp Etiquette" test.

I have been "snaked" 3 times this year, all at the same ramp by people that haven't a clue what "wait your turn" means or even how to determine if it is their turn or not.

I'm not the fastest in or out of the water, because most of the time I'm the only adult on the expedition and I have to back the trailer, launch the boat, tie it to the dock, run the rig and trailer up and park it, run back to the boat....you get my point.  But I still have people complement me on how quickly I get the boat in or out of the water by myself.

Gotta say I love this thread!  It's like an episode of COPs for the boat launch!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.