FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Night Time Muskies?  (Read 4195 times)

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
Night Time Muskies?
« on: May 17, 2004, 12:39 AM »
Has anyone ever fished for muskies at night (after dark) and if so any luck? I've never heard of them being nocternal feeders but was just wondering if anyone here has ever tried.
Chasing them pigs with fins!

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

Muskie Matt

Re: Night Time Muskies?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 07:33 AM »
They can be caught at night but most times it's by accident.

suskymusky

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 12:05 AM »
I've had some luck fishing an hour or so before dawn.I got a 44" er a few years ago at 4:30 in the morning.Also, if you have alewives around they seem to feed on them at 11 or 12 or later at night.The walleyes kind of slurp them up and the musky splash and make a ruckus.I think they try to stun them.I've been trying to get them for years when this happens, with only a few small walleyes to show for it, but I know I have a chance at a lunker.
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

Redneck

« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2004, 02:21 PM »
I love fishing muskie at night. Seem to catch larger fish. There nothing like using a large judder bug on a calm quiet night and hearing the water come alive its better than sex.
Redneck

Jigwiggler

« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2004, 04:04 PM »
I love fishing muskie at night. Seem to catch larger fish. There nothing like using a large judder bug on a calm quiet night and hearing the water come alive its better than sex.
Redneck

Hey Redneck,  How about a little more info.  I fish for musky alot but never really after dark.  I know several guys that say they get them on "musky jitterbugs" late at night but never have myself.  Do you get them in the same places you do during daylight?  Do you get them only on topwater or subsurface lures too?  Fast presentation or slow?  What's the best time?  Most of my late night fishing (besides cat fishin') is done for walleyes although I have gotten some real nice smallmouth.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Redneck

« Reply #5 on: Aug 04, 2004, 12:57 AM »
I fish the shallows,creek mouths ,and sandbars at night. I have the best luck with loud lures both surface and underwater. I've also caught them on live bait at night. Keep your boat clean and everything in its place because when you do get one on its just that much harder in the dark. I rigged my boat with some lights I got out the auto dept. Helps some tried lanterns but they just seem to get in the way. Best of luck to you
Redneck

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 04, 2004, 09:53 AM »
From what I understand, musky fishing is actually very good at night. Fishing for pike at night is almost impossible, because a pike's eye lacks the ability to see well in dark water. However, muskies have a more advanced eye structure, so they feed 'round the clock. Muskies bite especiallly well after dark on lakes where there is a lot of day time  boat traffic. A few weeks ago, I was fishing for bass at night. I was throwing a 5 inch black and silver Zara Spook. I have an LED headlight, which allows me to watch my lure all the way in. I began walking the dog and I see this bulge start to form behind the lure. WAM!!! This tiger musky slams that spook. I set the hook and for about 10 seconds, he was hooked good. Then it made a run and snapped my 12 lb. Trilene like nothing. So that was my experience with nighttime muskies. I'll be back to that rockpile...but I'll be using a wire leader next time!

-Zach

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.