FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Resi's Report  (Read 4249 times)

bigr

Resi's Report
« on: Apr 05, 2021, 06:02 AM »
I made it out Saturday looking for the bite and was rewarded nicely. Here's what I saw, heard and experienced. First of all the below Missy dam is giving up tons of fish out of the slack areas. Easy to find those areas just by seeing the number of fishermen. Get there early for a spot. The Missy resi itself is giving up a consistent bite of quality fish from about anywhere, boat or shore. The spring run up the river has begun and the numbers are really beginning to take off. White bass are up front with mostly small fish at this time and crappie starting to fill the slack areas behind them. Moving water below and behind and just off current breaks for the whites and slack areas for the crappie. Model airplane portion up to Hogs back area at this time. Whites can be found further upstream than that but not in numbers yet. Crappie are running up to 13 inches for the most part with majority in the 10 to 12 range. I found the bigger crappie on the Sally. With the water level up 8 ft or so from winter pool the resi is backing up in the Mt Etna portion of the river. Fish are moving up with the water and the big Crappie and Big White bass are on the bite. The area I fished had super easy access. Not another sole had been up in that area so I had it to myself until I sent a couple texts. As you all can probable tell I don't mind giving out info especially about the resi's. Tons of places and area for people to explore. These crappie were the best I've caught in a few years with several nearly touching the 15 in range. White Bass were also the big girls with a hard fight in them. If your into wading the Wabash at the junction of the Sally for walleye this area should be ready to give up a few also and I've heard the crappie are showing up already there also. This week with not much change in weather I think might be the real start of the best time of year for numbers and size and ease. Good luck and stay tuned.       

abishop

Re: Resi's Report
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2021, 04:29 PM »
Great report, only wish I lived closer.

techja

« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2021, 06:57 PM »
bigr, do you need a boat to fish Mt Etna area.

bigr

« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2021, 05:09 AM »
No boat needed. Headed that way around 8am this morning. Anyone wants to join me just give out a shout for Big R.

chicagill34

« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2021, 07:01 AM »
Yesterday I started out in the Missy discharge channel,plenty of little white bass and I managed to keep 7 to donate to Soarin Hawk Rehab, They said the birds love the white bass. Seen others picking up a fish here and there down the chute but it was hard for me to tell if it was Crappies or White Bass. I was parked near the discharge so I didn't see how the guys were doing in the slack water area. Stopped by 105 and just caught a couple of small crappies. I hit the Mt. Etna area around 1 and the bite was pretty slow there. I took advantage of the low water and marked some nice structure areas for when they do fill that up at summer pool. When will the resi's be going back to summer pool??  Thanks  Jim   ( Speaking of Jim's, has anybody heard from Jim Roe??)     

chicagill34

« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2021, 07:22 AM »
must be..lol  I haven't even seen him on FB..That's why I asked.

chicagill34

« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2021, 07:25 AM »
1 more thing I forgot to mention, 124 is closed down from Warren all the way to Mt. Etna. Just take 9 to the intersection.

bigr

« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2021, 08:41 AM »
I had a real good bite yesterday morning at mt etna. Took the grand daughters and they had a good time. Water has dropped about two foot and the big fish had left leaving only small fish as far as I could tell. By the evening when I went back even the smaller fish were backing out. Up the rivers when water is dropping the fish back down toward main lake. With rising water they really move. That will happen again soon maybe with the possibility of rain this evening and tomorrow.

bherr24

« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2021, 09:06 AM »
I put the waders on yesterday after work and tried way downriver from the spillway at missy. Found a few nice blacks but not many. Was kinda surprised the bite was not better in some of the deeper eddys. Think im gonna try again this evening up stream from the resi and see if i cant find some stacked up somewhere. Lake is slowly rising and these warm days should get fish moving i would hope.

chicagill34

« Reply #9 on: Apr 07, 2021, 09:20 AM »
I wondered if I passed by you BigR I was out there in camo shorts and wearing mucks!!  ;D

bigr

« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2021, 02:44 PM »
I put the waders on yesterday after work and tried way downriver from the spillway at missy. Found a few nice blacks but not many. Was kinda surprised the bite was not better in some of the deeper eddys. Think im gonna try again this evening up stream from the resi and see if i cant find some stacked up somewhere. Lake is slowly rising and these warm days should get fish moving i would hope.
Word I got yesterday the bigger White bass are moving up again atleast as far as hogs back. Crappie should be right behind them. Let me know how you do. Cant get out til noon on Friday.

bherr24

« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2021, 09:26 PM »
Was not able to make it out today bigr. Planning on going tomorrow afternoon and evening though as long as the weather cooperates. I have a spot near 13 where i think there may be some fish but it is a killer walk and really sucks even more when they arent there lol.

bherr24

« Reply #12 on: Apr 10, 2021, 08:17 AM »
I got out last evening after work. I didnt have time to hit the spot i wanted so chose the one with a shorter walk. Just east of 13 bridge. Current was still pretty strong. I tried casting double jigs first and literally caught white bass every single cast for 10 minutes. Problem was i was lookin for crappie. Decided to walk the banks to my east looking for any slack water. Found one very small eddy and there was fish there. I ended up keeping 10 crappie they were all nice 10 to 13 inch ones. I probably caught 50 or more total then it just went dead. Hole was so small i prolly wiped em out. Im thinking my other spot is likely loaded with fish as it has a large area of slack water. Rain all weekend but im tempted to go try it anyway after my sons baseball game this morning.

bherr24

« Reply #13 on: Apr 10, 2021, 09:46 PM »
Made it out this evening around 6 when the rain quit. Took my son and we made the long walk through 2 fields and down thru the woods to my spot upriver that i wanted to try yesterday. Sure enough the big eddy was just loaded with crappie. Started out with bobber and jig and caught 10 or so and then it slowed. I then switched to cast and retrieve and it was fish on every cast till we left at 8. Huge crappies too...i had 6 over 13 inches and the biggest at 14.5. Several 11 inch fish. I threw back a ton of fish because i didnt wanna spend all night cleaning em. Brought home 15 which is more then enough for us. More rain forecasted tomorrow so wanted to get out while i could. Glad we did.

Daybreak

« Reply #14 on: Apr 11, 2021, 07:39 AM »
Glad to hear they are still where you figured they'd be.  That gives the rest of us hope that our spots should produce when we get out in our boats.  Thanks for the report.
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.