FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: CHARCOAL GRILLERS UNITE!!!  (Read 157338 times)

ActiveTrapChecker

Re: CHARCOAL GRILLERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #540 on: May 27, 2018, 08:34 AM »
Smoked Chicken thighs, drums and breasts that soaked in Chiavetta’s for 2 days. Used applewood chunks for the maiden voyage of the 22” original kettle Weber. Our company arrived 1:45 later than they were suppose to arrive when I started the goals. Had plenty of water in the kettle so even with a 3 hour smoke, chicken was moist.

Sides included tossed salad, german potato salad, grilled asparagus and tri colored noodle salad with chunks of cheddar, salami, grape tomatoes tossed in Italian Dressing. Oh, and Leinenkugal’s Shmmer shandy.

Great way to start the holiday weekend!

Pictures of the smoked chicken added

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #541 on: Jun 03, 2018, 05:40 PM »
Slow cooked some pork country ribs and baked beans on the Weber. Made a side cole slaw. My Bride had seconds,. A super indicator.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #542 on: Jun 03, 2018, 06:06 PM »
Yesterday I trimmed and tied a whole pork loin, and started curing it to make another batch of Canadian bacon. I'm curing it in a maple brine.
1 gal.  water
1 1/2 cups maple syrup
1 1/2 cups kosher salt
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp black pepper
I'll turn it in the brine Wednesday evening and cure it until next Saturday. Then I'll smoke it with apple wood at 220° until it has an internal temperature of 140°. Probably will take 4-6 hrs. but it's worth it! Getting ready for BLT season!  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #543 on: Jun 04, 2018, 02:34 AM »
That sounds really good Bill. Love Canadian bacon. How do you store it after it's cured and smoked?

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #544 on: Jun 04, 2018, 06:57 AM »
I'll cut it into 1/8" slices, vacuum seal it into 8 oz. packages, and keep it in the freezer.   ;D
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #545 on: Jun 04, 2018, 01:09 PM »
Man...you have me hooked with this one. I'm gonna experiment with a small loin and a dry cure.

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #546 on: Jun 05, 2018, 11:35 AM »
A dry rub will be delicious but it won't taste like a bacon. I've done both. The rub tastes like barbecue. The brine tastes like bacon.  Because a pork loin is so lean, you kind of need the moisture to get into the meat to keep it from dying out when it goes into the frying pan for breakfast or sandwiches. Good either way. ....  ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #547 on: Jun 05, 2018, 03:48 PM »
A dry rub will be delicious but it won't taste like a bacon. I've done both. The rub tastes like barbecue. The brine tastes like bacon.  Because a pork loin is so lean, you kind of need the moisture to get into the meat to keep it from dying out when it goes into the frying pan for breakfast or sandwiches. Good either way. ....  ;D

Well I'll take your advice. Wet brine it is.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #548 on: Jun 05, 2018, 03:50 PM »
You don't use any Prague or Morton Tender Quick?
 I haven't seen a recipe without it.
Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #549 on: Jun 05, 2018, 05:25 PM »
I don't. That's all  just salt Peter. All it does is keep the meat pink and shrink your dink. An unnecessary chemical.   ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #550 on: Jun 05, 2018, 06:06 PM »
Well, actually, sodium nitrite aka saltpeter, has no proven effect on libido. However, when it is converted to sodium nitrate during the curing process, it is said to enhance the flavor of the meat being cured. At the very least it inhibits bacterial growth in proper proportions.

Of course...everything on the internet is true.....right?

And believe me it's not that I don't trust your recipe.

I'm still thinking on this one.

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #551 on: Jun 05, 2018, 08:28 PM »
Linked to Alzheimer's disease, diabetes, mellitus, stomach cancer, Parkinson's disease, colorectal cancer and colon cancer.  For what little flavor difference,  I'll pass. Tantamount to using miracle -gro in your vegetable garden.Just my opinion.  ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #552 on: Jun 06, 2018, 02:50 AM »
Think I might skip this all together and have some asparagus instead.

I have a Grava Lox recipe I've used with Atlantic Salmon caught from Seneca Lake that only used sugar, salt and pepper. The times I've made it it's been fabulous. But I'm not certain fish are prone to bacterial growth like red meats are.

I suppose not using nitrites/ nitrates would dictate thoroughly cooking the bacon and not trying it as a luncheon meat. Can you imagine what's in the store bought stuff?

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #553 on: Jun 06, 2018, 12:10 PM »
Jeeesh! I didn't mean to scare you out of it! Although we were taught differently, the National Pork Board says that pork only needs to be cooked to 145° nowadays!  Smoked to 140° then wrapped in foil, it rests to that so it is fully cooked and preserved by the kosher salt and smoke.  ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #554 on: Jun 06, 2018, 05:18 PM »
I ain't scared👍

Made my list already. Looked this morning for a decent pork loin at the grocery. Didn't see one I liked. I have a butcher I visit every so often. I time to make a trip.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.