FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: first fly i tied  (Read 4150 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
first fly i tied
« on: Mar 27, 2009, 08:48 AM »
the first fly i ever tied was  the famous wolly worm! a olive  if i remeber right  anyways  i caught a lot of fish on wolly worms  yet never hear of anyone  fishing them anymore, i still carry a few with me and  fish them once in awhile ,they still work
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

fish_finder

Re: first fly i tied
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2009, 12:10 PM »
First fly i ever attempted ..key word attempted..was a royal coachman...bad idea, looked like somthing a trout had chewed up and it didnt agree with him so he returned it the way it came..so i dropped my enthusiasm a little and tried the good old black gnat wet fly, it looked a little better lol
Fishing isn't a hobby it's an addiction

Steelie Slayer

• Serious Steelhead NUT!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2009, 12:19 PM »
lets see.... My first fly had to of been either a BH pheasant tail or Hex nymph........
TEAM STEEL!!!!!!!

I caught a fish once!

"We drank all this fish..... And we caught all the beer, err we caught all the fish...... And drank all the beer!"

knurren

• What of it?!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2009, 01:51 PM »
Quill Gordon Dry, size 12.  I used moose main for the tail fibers and it was the worst hackle experiment every. lol  I'm still not a great tier but have definitely matured from back then.
Live free or die trying.

Joser06

• Get some!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2009, 11:17 PM »
First one I was ever taught was the good ole woolly bugger. Then I lost it when I tried casting it, heard a crack like a whip and then it was gone forever.... :(

geothefisher

• OPEN WATER!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2009, 02:16 PM »
I must have tied 50 wooly worms before I even tried anything else.  Then it was wooly buggers, and inch worms. 
It doesn't matter if you are trolling, casting, drop-shotting, flipping, pitching or jigging.  Just as long as you are FISHING!!!!   NAFC Life Member

icedflies

« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2009, 03:08 PM »
First fly for me would have been the wooly bugger.  Looked about as good as the ones that come in the cardboard box for $.79.  It somehow worked and the feeling was marvelous.  Now I've just tied more detailed wooly buggers.... and other flies too.  Somehow these work too...I'm still not sure how.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2009, 05:01 PM »
"Rubber Legs and White Tail-Hairs" ; Pat McManus

Every aspiring fly-tyer should read this wonderful short by Pat.

My first fly was an attempt at a Mickey Finn. It was horrific and beautiful at the same time. ;D Gotta love this art form.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

tom1234505

• 17 years old
« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 2009, 06:37 PM »
first fly i ever tied was my only fly that i tied (so far) it wasnt really an imitation of anything, but its a dry fly with green and black. made it in the fifth grade when we were learning about the MT watershed... the way the guy explained it was soooo boring! the teacher told us to call him the fish guy... ummm.... lol? i will take a picture of it later and post it to this thread... now where did i put it? ill find it soon enough. :)
<br /><br />

tom1234505

• 17 years old
« Reply #9 on: Apr 28, 2009, 07:55 PM »
well i found some flies and heres some pics of it. hope you like!

and theres my fly, dont know what it immitates though but was fun to make!
<br /><br />

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Apr 29, 2009, 11:45 AM »
I like your fly...I'd like to see a full pic of the clock in the background  ;D
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 10:35 PM »
my first fly was a joe's hopper, dad wanted me to learn a tough one so that all the rest would be easy

Spin

« Reply #12 on: Jul 20, 2009, 08:13 AM »
   First fly I ever tyed was a Bivisable I believe, it caught fish too! Panfisherman you want to test youself go to the Whitlock hopper, very effective but a very complex pattern. The hot ticket for alot of Wisconsin's tough Spring Creeks in August.

Tight Lines
                                                                                                                           Spin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.