FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Flyrods...What do you use?  (Read 19972 times)

Steelie Slayer

• Serious Steelhead NUT!!!!!!!
Re: Flyrods...What do you use?
« Reply #45 on: Jun 09, 2008, 10:51 PM »
9.5 ft, 8 wt sage DS2, use it for river fishing steelies and a  little bit of casting poppers for bass in ponds and lakes.  Love sage, great performance rods with and awesome warranty!
TEAM STEEL!!!!!!!

I caught a fish once!

"We drank all this fish..... And we caught all the beer, err we caught all the fish...... And drank all the beer!"

pa.bob

• ready for ice
« Reply #46 on: Mar 23, 2009, 05:38 PM »
diamond back vsr in 4,5,and 6 wt.9 ft.  st.croix legend ultra in 3 and 5 wt. 9 ft. 8 wt 9ft cortland for salmon and a 9 ft 5wt orvis that i hate >:(. the diamond backs are my favorite  :thumbup_smilie:
got a hatch?

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #47 on: Mar 23, 2009, 08:00 PM »
old 7# st.croix nicknamed the meat stick  is first rod i grab everything from bluegills to stripers :)
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Breamin

« Reply #48 on: Mar 24, 2009, 06:35 PM »
Home-built 3 wt. Learned to fly fish with it on trout, excited to take it out for panfish this season

flyfish_tfo

« Reply #49 on: Mar 24, 2009, 07:01 PM »
Temple Fork outfitters, every one of 'em. Best bang for you buck  ;D

geothefisher

• OPEN WATER!
« Reply #50 on: Apr 10, 2009, 02:23 PM »
2 9' Ugly Sticks  one is a 6-7 and the other is an 8-9.  A Shakespeare 8'6" 5-6wt.  And an old bamboo rod (has no info on it, but guy I bought it from told me it was his grandfathers) that is 7'6" and I use 4-5wt line on it.  That is actually my favorite rod, and I bought it for $1 at a yard sale.  The next few I buy will be TFO's.  Once you've tried one, you'll understand!
It doesn't matter if you are trolling, casting, drop-shotting, flipping, pitching or jigging.  Just as long as you are FISHING!!!!   NAFC Life Member

jwm123

« Reply #51 on: Apr 15, 2009, 02:02 PM »
Sage DS 9 foot 5 weight Ist year they were made, liked it so much bought my dad a Sage 6 weight before he broke the bamboo he carried and fished for years.  Mom gave it back couple of years ago along with the bamboo when Dad passed.  I seem to find myself fishing his rod now, because of all the memories. Sure glad now that I bought him the rod he loved it and fished it almost every evening at his lake. jwm 

bball1377

« Reply #52 on: Apr 16, 2009, 08:35 AM »
3 weight orvis
5 weight orvis
6 weight orvis
7 weight orvis
9 weight orvis
cant beat the warrenty that they give you i use my 3 weight all the time in small rivers and ponds and have broken it 3 or 4 times all were replaced for free with a brand new rod

icedflies

« Reply #53 on: Apr 22, 2009, 03:02 PM »
3wt Redington Battenkill reel  trout
5wt st croix okuma reel anything(mostly used on lakes)
8wt Redington okuma reel salmon/steelhead/pike/musky

I like all my rods and reels... next on the list is a 1 wt.  either the 7/8 oz. helios or the 1wt superfine trout bum.  anybody got $1000 they want to donate?

emeraldshiner

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2009, 08:30 AM »

Sage XP 4piece 9' #6 weight - (brookies, salmon, wading rivers, fishing small trout ponds)
                                                                       LL Bean Guide Series 2piece 9' #8 weight (trollling for salmon, brookies, casting in windy conditions)
                                                                       These two rods will cover pretty much all conditions encountered fly fishing in Maine for trout and salmon, would love to add an Orvis T3
                                                                      8 1/2' #3 weight for casting tiny dries in dead calm conditions! 8)

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2009, 08:37 AM »
I've got some newer rod/reel combos nothing real expensive, but my old Herters #6 4 piece is my favorite. I like fishing with the vintage stuff. Old School!
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

geothefisher

• OPEN WATER!
« Reply #56 on: Jun 01, 2009, 09:48 PM »
Just added another one to the collection last week.  It's one of the lowest priced fly rods I have ever purchased.  It's an Eagle Claw 6'6" rod.  I was looking for something shorter than my bamboo rod for really tight spaces.  I tried this one out over the weekend and it's a WINNER!  I paid 12.99 for the rod, and the action on it is wonderful.  I threw on a small reel loaded with 3wt. and it handles perfectly!  It is supposed to be for 2 to 6 weight, but that 3 works so nice I don't even want to try anything else.  The rod is even a 2 piece! 
It doesn't matter if you are trolling, casting, drop-shotting, flipping, pitching or jigging.  Just as long as you are FISHING!!!!   NAFC Life Member

BBK

« Reply #57 on: Jun 02, 2009, 10:45 AM »
Just added another one to the collection last week.  It's one of the lowest priced fly rods I have ever purchased.  It's an Eagle Claw 6'6" rod.  I was looking for something shorter than my bamboo rod for really tight spaces.  I tried this one out over the weekend and it's a WINNER!  I paid 12.99 for the rod, and the action on it is wonderful.  I threw on a small reel loaded with 3wt. and it handles perfectly!  It is supposed to be for 2 to 6 weight, but that 3 works so nice I don't even want to try anything else.  The rod is even a 2 piece! 

I think I saw those at walmart the other day, is it a fiberglass rod?

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #58 on: Jun 03, 2009, 06:31 AM »
Just bought one of those Geo, the Eagle Claw 8'6" rod and reel combo for $28 at our little baitshop here in town.
It works awesome, just got back from Michigan and hammered the Gills with it. Nothing real big but a lot of them. Not sure what the rod is made of BBK, but it has good action.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

fishfinger

« Reply #59 on: Jun 03, 2009, 07:36 AM »
JP ROSS

http://www.jprossflyrods.com/

This kid started out small, and has made a pretty good name for himself. I havent been fly fishing in a few years, but when I was, I would stop by his shop everyday for info and tips.

Best rod I've ever used ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.