FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Looking for advice on oswego  (Read 3002 times)

1234edb

Looking for advice on oswego
« on: Oct 26, 2009, 09:06 PM »
I live in syracuse and i have been up to oswego for just a few times for smallies off the walkway, but saturday me & a friend are going up.  I know that salmon, steelhead, and trout are being pulled out and am just looking for some info and tips.  I'm only 17 and i fish pretty often but i don't know what i should use for them so any info on that would be helpful please.  Also, any just tips or info on where to fish (other than the walkway), if anyone wants to share some hotspots ;)  that would be very appreciated.  Thank you for the help :)  

Also, i am not fishing with a fly rod as i know many people do.  I use a spinning reel if that happens to make any difference :P  I do own a fly rod though..but wouldn't like to try my luck with that...biggest i caught on that was an 8 inch pickeral Haha It was fun though :)

fishermantim4

Re: Looking for advice on oswego
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2009, 10:36 PM »
i dont know the oswego at all but its tends to be the same fishing in all the tribs for trout and salmon. i tend to use floats with jigs or egg imitations. or use spawn sacks.  drifting pockets with assorted different presentations and you should be pretty good, watch what others are using around you
"there's no fish in this ditch!"

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2009, 01:27 AM »
I live in syracuse and i have been up to oswego for just a few times for smallies off the walkway, but saturday me & a friend are going up.  I know that salmon, steelhead, and trout are being pulled out and am just looking for some info and tips.  I'm only 17 and i fish pretty often but i don't know what i should use for them so any info on that would be helpful please.  Also, any just tips or info on where to fish (other than the walkway), if anyone wants to share some hotspots ;)  that would be very appreciated.  Thank you for the help :)  

Also, i am not fishing with a fly rod as i know many people do.  I use a spinning reel if that happens to make any difference :P  I do own a fly rod though..but wouldn't like to try my luck with that...biggest i caught on that was an 8 inch pickeral Haha It was fun though :)
 First off, don't do anything dumb like fishing too close to either flume or try walking out to the center wall! Oswego River is unforgiving! if others are easily making it to the rocks or center rock up by the dam, then follow them, but don't venture off on your own until you understand that River! Alot of dips and valleys that could trip you up! Trapper fishes it every day, he'll have some advice for ya when he gets on here soon! You can either bottom bounce a 4 foot leader with sponge or what ever for Salmon or run egg sacs with a float or bottom bounce for steelies and browns! I like 6-8lb for steelies and 10-12lb for salmon on that river! keep an open mind and watch the other guys who are hooking the most fish, then copy what they are using and doing! bring a few extra bucks with ya, so if you need to buy extra & EXACT tackle when you get there you can from a local shop! Good luck and stay safe!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

bluegillslayer

« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2009, 06:32 AM »
i will help you when you get here. please do not go into the river until we show you how and were it is safe. bring a life vest with you ,i think there have been more saves this year than i seen in 10 years. we will help you with all your correct tackle for trout and salmon with out getting a ticket from the dec. stop by the salmon shop on w 1st in oswego talk to larry or jarred or nelson .we will not steer you wrong.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2009, 06:42 AM »
larry at the  SALMON SHOP is a good guy and will help you out! and yes if you never fished it please stop in and  listen to what  larry has to say,

i know  where not supposed  to advertise here but i would like to say, there has been many times  larry has  helped me out! and  done things  for me that other places wouldn't.....gander,bass pro  even wal mart are nice ,how ever  larrys knows the river! he has experance  and advice, and knows what works.....he  has  bent over backwards to help people and offers  a personal service that  the  big stores  will never  be able to offer! we all know  he offers salmon and steelhead  stuff but i also get most of my panfish and icefishing gear from larry ! stop in .

and no i don't work for  larry and i only recommend things that i believe in!

this doesn't  mean i won't be giving you poop when i stop in  larry lollllllllllll
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

1234edb

« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2009, 01:54 PM »
i will help you when you get here. please do not go into the river until we show you how and were it is safe. bring a life vest with you ,i think there have been more saves this year than i seen in 10 years. we will help you with all your correct tackle for trout and salmon with out getting a ticket from the dec. stop by the salmon shop on w 1st in oswego talk to larry or jarred or nelson .we will not steer you wrong.

Are you larry, jared, or nelson?  I don't know what time exactly we will be coming up on saturday but i will be finding out by probably friday so i can post that and hopefully i get replies on that. 

Also we both own waders so we could bring those and life vests along with us incase either you, trapper, or snagger are fishing and can help/show us what to do so that we stay safe because i know for a fact i am not wading anywhere unless i have somebody with alot of knowledge of oswego helping me at the time.  Thank you

trapper2000

« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2009, 08:37 PM »
123  actually if theres a flow for a drift you can fish the high wall in complete safty! never get in water at all ,again i suggest you stop in at the salmon shop  bring your waters and a vest anyways

1234edb

« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2009, 08:49 PM »
123  actually if theres a flow for a drift you can fish the high wall in complete safty! never get in water at all ,again i suggest you stop in at the salmon shop  bring your waters and a vest anyways

Deffinently will stop in the salmon shop, but we will bring our waters and vests with us incase somebody will be willing to take us with them and keep us safe.

trapper2000

« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2009, 09:05 PM »
if i'm around  your difinatelly welcome

1234edb

« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2009, 09:25 PM »
Okay well I'm sure you would be able to figure out who me & my friend are when we are there. 

bluegillslayer

« Reply #10 on: Oct 27, 2009, 09:52 PM »
i fished the bridie hole  today un real steelie after steelie after stealie on my speical eggs. i did not land a steelhead that was all of 20 lbs plus  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? but i had a whitnes to my mahyhem today . nelson will be working in the morning and i will be back to my hole first thing in the morning, trap stop by in the morning and we will hook up. i have a great egg combo for us ::) ::) ::) oh yea to the guys comming up sat i will give some of my speical eggs they are awesome. i think i'm hooked on steelheads after a long hiyadous.

1234edb

« Reply #11 on: Oct 27, 2009, 10:26 PM »
Thank you very much slayer, i will appreciate any help i can get.  Me nor my friend have ever fished for Steelies or LL so i'm hoping i can even get a few hits and I will be happy (But catching one or even a few would be soo much better  ;)).  Also you will share your special eggs with us? I've also never fished with egg sacs before so no idea on how to rig those...i really am looking forward to saturday and so is my friend.  I really hope that i will be able to meet up with either you, trapper, or snagger for some help or pointers.  I'm sure that we will be up in oswego by about 10. The salmon shop will be open then right?

bluegillslayer

« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 2009, 08:34 AM »
open at 5:30 am

dmntd169

« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2009, 08:54 AM »
i fished the bridie hole  today un real steelie after steelie after stealie on my speical eggs. i did not land a steelhead that was all of 20 lbs plus  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? but i had a whitnes to my mahyhem today . nelson will be working in the morning and i will be back to my hole first thing in the morning, trap stop by in the morning and we will hook up. i have a great egg combo for us ::) ::) ::) oh yea to the guys comming up sat i will give some of my speical eggs they are awesome. i think i'm hooked on steelheads after a long hiyadous.

Drinkin already Larry  ;) ;) anyways...I thought you preferred them moldy salmon  ;D ;D
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
       ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><(((((((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

trapper2000

« Reply #14 on: Oct 28, 2009, 10:04 AM »
i admit , larrys eggs  and snaggers eggs are  both great! used  both with great results, larry i slept in for once .... but i'll be down sometime  today i have the other 25  glue  eggs  for you, i got some other colors in!  hey  get on the stick and  find them so i don't have to  buy them up north!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.