FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: MILK ?  (Read 4247 times)

1tigger

• Nothing like a Jitterbug in the dark !!
MILK ?
« on: Sep 12, 2006, 03:56 PM »
Just wondering how many of you and why you soak fish and game in milk before you prepare it !
I keep hearing about this and haven't tried it yet because I'm not sure what the outcome it supposed to be .
I grew up in the mid-west and never once heard of this but when I moved to N.Y. it's all I hear about .
What is the pourpose of this ?

esox slayer

Re: MILK ?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2006, 04:01 PM »
Just wondering how many of you and why you soak fish and game in milk before you prepare it !
I keep hearing about this and haven't tried it yet because I'm not sure what the outcome it supposed to be .
I grew up in the mid-west and never once heard of this but when I moved to N.Y. it's all I hear about .
What is the pourpose of this ?

All the time...take milk and some lemon juice and some fresh garlic sliced thin...soak the fillets for an hour or so, then bread and deep fry as usual.....it works on everything except bass.....nothing makes bass taste better...
Team NY!!Setting the standard for which all others are thrashed!! 
                                                                                Former Marine-Semper Fi!!!

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2006, 04:08 PM »
ill have to give it a shot sometime

Fishing is life

MIRC!

flockshot

• the official "shirt" of MIRC
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2006, 04:09 PM »
ive used saltwater on certain meats..but never once milk on fish..i may try it...but im kinda lactose intolerant so i dunno.lol.
team MI!!! MIRC CHAPTER MEMBER
"Rockbass are great..but the meats a little soft."

archbishop

« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2006, 05:29 PM »
it works great, i dont eat much fish, but for the "gamier" tasting fish it definitly makes it alot more mild :tipup:

spoonfed

« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2006, 06:20 PM »
 works good on fish and game to help mild the taste.  personally i only use it on game and salt water on fish.  i always soak my duck breasts in milk.

definition of a great morning-  screaming drags ; fish on ; double header   TEAM MICH

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2006, 06:47 PM »
I have done this with buttermilk, especially with undesirable fillets. This works on pork, chicken, or anything else you want to fry. As far as a soak for gamy catfish, try baking soda water instead of salt water. This can turn mud flavor into a pleasent mild fillet overnight.

CNY Farmer

« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2006, 06:56 PM »
A guy I know said he freezes his fish in it.... I have a whole tank if anyone needs extra ;)
I'd rather be fishing instead of milking!!!!

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2006, 07:01 PM »
I will take it all if you dont want your milk check! ;D

CNY Farmer

« Reply #9 on: Sep 12, 2006, 07:11 PM »
I will take it all if you dont want your milk check! ;D

What milk check :( with todays milk price not much to go around  :'(
I'd rather be fishing instead of milking!!!!

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2006, 07:14 PM »
yeah, the price of pigs isnt so great either :-\

scansy

• IX - X - XIII - XIV - XL
« Reply #11 on: Sep 12, 2006, 07:16 PM »
  i always soak my duck breasts in milk.

How does that work for you?  I have heard it makes a big difference.  Have you done it with geese?

I love to hunt waterfowl, but usually end up making jerky from the breasts.

spoonfed

« Reply #12 on: Sep 12, 2006, 09:08 PM »
How does that work for you?  I have heard it makes a big difference.  Have you done it with geese?

I love to hunt waterfowl, but usually end up making jerky from the breasts.

makes a big difference.  pulls alot of blood out. i use it on ducks geese and venison if its an older mature deer.  if you want i'll take all them breasts from you. ;D

definition of a great morning-  screaming drags ; fish on ; double header   TEAM MICH

grumpymoe

« Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2006, 09:13 PM »
I wont argue milk and game meat, but if the filets you're eating require soaking in milk, then I know I wouldnt be eating them. try bleeding out your fish before filleting, and you will see a huge difference in the filet...fish should never have any odor whatsoever when properly handled fresh or for the freezer.....none....well.....your hands will.....Grump  ;D

spoonfed

« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2006, 09:47 PM »
I wont argue milk and game meat, but if the filets you're eating require soaking in milk, then I know I wouldnt be eating them. try bleeding out your fish before filleting, and you will see a huge difference in the filet...fish should never have any odor whatsoever when properly handled fresh or for the freezer.....none....well.....your hands will.....Grump  ;D

good point grump.  i started bleeding out my eyes and salmon a few years ago.  big difference.  i still soak them in a salt water solution if i'm gonna refridgerate them for a few days before eating.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.