FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: best brand of monofilament line?  (Read 41815 times)

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
Re: best brand of monofilament line?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 06:16 PM »
I've tried a bunch of different mono's... I always end up back at the Stren original though, best all around line for me.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 07:42 AM »
I've tried a bunch of different mono's... I always end up back at the Stren original though, best all around line for me.

yeah i like the toughness of it... and im a huge fan of theyre low vis green also incredible knot strength.... i think this is the downfall for me tho because my line NEVER breaks at the knot when i snag bottom... i end up losing 100 ft of line at a time because of it breaking at/near the pole...

after testing the Spider-wire ultracast for a good while, sure its strong enough for the fish, almost no memory, casts like a dream, but it's noticeably weaker for getting knicked and snagged and breaks faster than stren.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 07:58 AM »
choice in fishing line is clearly subjective.    ;D  as far as I am concerned, stren is junk.  that spiderwire mono is even worse.  softest line ever.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 10:54 PM »
choice in fishing line is clearly subjective.    ;D  as far as I am concerned, stren is junk.  that spiderwire mono is even worse.  softest line ever.

yeah ive found there is no 'best' brand, just have to shop around and find one you like i suppose

so far Stren & SPiderwire ultimate lead for me

gonna try some Sufix Elite soon and see how i like that

hardh2ofish

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 09:23 AM »
Whar ever happened to the berkley iron silk?   I loved that line.  If anyone could hook me up id appreciate it.

go-phillies

• THE HECK WITH WORKIN!! TIME FOR FISHIN!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2013, 04:25 PM »
found out the suffix elite was the way to go for salmon 10lb held up like a champ  for my spinning rods at home I use all maxima ultragreen  2lb and 4lb  I only fish for trout and shad  hope this helps   good luckl    RICK
9/11/2001 FOREVER     -if fishing was a job,  nobody would retire,  a bad day fishing still beats a good day workin, so I finally gave up workin ,, another year, another excuse to get up to A.O.L.   FISH ON!! salmon River N.Y.!!!

Bartel Rd. Bait & Tackle

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 08:19 AM »
Im a bit of a line geek very picky. about 4 yrs ago i tried suffix mono braid and flouro and havent looked back since. longest ive ever gone without changing brands. I love the stuff.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 10:12 AM »
found out the suffix elite was the way to go for salmon 10lb held up like a champ  for my spinning rods at home I use all maxima ultragreen  2lb and 4lb  I only fish for trout and shad  hope this helps   good luckl    RICK

im gonna pick up some Sufix Elite 6 lb and see if i like it or not, it's a thicker sized line for its class so it should be very sturdy

hows the Knot stength on sufix Elite?  only reason im slightly skeptical is i read bad reviews on it for know strength

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2013, 05:55 PM »
I used suffix for a while and it had great knot strength

wally13

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 11:27 PM »
try vanish fluor carbon  great line

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 04:10 AM »
You liked vanish? I thought it was way to stiff. If I'm going flurocarbon it's gotta be seagar

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 10:11 AM »
dont want fluorocarbon on my spin reel, ive heard its a pain from the interenet/an a few friends

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2013, 12:15 PM »
You betcha it is. I had it on my spin set up and I had line twist after line twist. Only "flurocarbon" that may work is p line fluroclear but that is a copolymer coated with flurocarbon

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 02:49 PM »
You betcha it is. I had it on my spin set up and I had line twist after line twist. Only "flurocarbon" that may work is p line fluroclear but that is a copolymer coated with flurocarbon

yeah heard that 100x with fluoro users on spin gear

Captain1978

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2013, 03:05 PM »
P Line Florocarbon !!! That's what I use as a liter when ice fishing. Works awesome !!! I also use it as a liter when rod and reel fishing in a clear lake. I never use steel...Hate the stuff.
El Capitano

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.