FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A Mix of Fish and Mjushrooms  (Read 1223 times)

bogtrotter

A Mix of Fish and Mjushrooms
« on: Sep 30, 2023, 04:25 PM »
I went mushrooming this morning with a buddy, and we did pretty well.

We found four varieties of mushrooms: boletes, chicken of the woods, oysters and slippery jacks.

After returning home and "processing" our finds (by lightly sauteeing and then refrigerating them), I headed back out to go fishing.

First, I fished a private pond for about 15 minutes, during which it was cloudy and cool (about 60 degrees).

Then, I switched over to the South Hoosic, and after briefly fishing below the Cheshire Harbor dam without success, I drove downstream to Adams and fished from Mullen Mayflower to Elm Rock 

While doing that, the sky cleared up a bit and the temperature rose by about 5 degrees.

(Both pond and stream levels were a bit high, from the rain we'd had earlier in the late morning/early afternoon)

I finally found some action a little below the Old Stone Mill, and ended up catching four (7" to 9") brookies and one (10") brown around where Dry Brook enters into the river.

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
Re: A Mix of Fish and Mjushrooms
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2023, 06:09 PM »
great day

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2023, 06:16 PM »
I always wanted to go out for them when I lived up north.
But I didn't know enough to do it without someone to help show me what's good and what's not so good.
Too late.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2023, 01:30 PM »
I love it! What kind of boletes? I pick about 25 edible boletes. Id guess birch, scaber stalk, of russels but its really tough to guess because your area may have different types than mine
Wicked Wec

bogtrotter

« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2023, 05:11 PM »
I love it! What kind of boletes? I pick about 25 edible boletes. Id guess birch, scaber stalk, of russels but its really tough to guess because your area may have different types than mine

Sorry, but I don't know. 

The friend that I go with, who is a lot more knowledgeable than me, and helps ensure I don't bring something home that's poisonous, would probably know which type of bolete it was.

But I don't have his "knack" for differentiating the different types, so he's "dumbed down the names for me.

So I know it's a bolete but not which type.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2023, 06:20 PM »
No worries. Wasnt sure if you had pictures. Enjoy the meal!
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.