FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ya Know....We Need Another Cooking Topic!  (Read 373627 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Ya Know....We Need Another Cooking Topic!
« Reply #1890 on: Sep 15, 2020, 09:38 AM »
I know the metric system is hard for you to comprehend Mac. You need to be able to count to 10......to get started.

How you came up with 2 3/8 c. Equaling 300g is a mystery. 2 3/8c is a measure of volume not weight. All flours are different. Weight does not necessarily equal volume. Same goes for eggs. The ratio of weight to liquid is paramount if you want consistently perfect pasta.

Seriously though. There really is a huge difference in flours. I spent a lot of time working on pasta after my Daughter gave me the attachments for the KA for Christmas. She also gave me a very expensive pasta cook book which turned out to be a nightmare. I had some success and a lot of fails. Using recipes that rely on volume measurements always called for adjusting if it “Feels” to wet or too dry or not elastic enough.

Perhaps if I were an 80 year old Italian Grandma who’s made pasta almost every day of her life, I would be able to adjust a pasta dough on the fly and by “Feel”. But, I’m an old American guy trying to learn more about cooking every day.

I’ve learned that this recipe works.....every time.

Boy my chicken soup smells great ;D

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #1891 on: Sep 15, 2020, 10:32 AM »
Yea

Ok

;D

gotagetm

« Reply #1892 on: Sep 15, 2020, 11:17 AM »
Absolutely hilarious! Bob and mac great cooks I was taught by mom and grandma it's site and feel ,and smell ,yes I mess up sometimes but cooking is an art , sometimes not so good , sometimes great but it's always great to try !! Can't argue about that

gotagetm

« Reply #1893 on: Sep 15, 2020, 11:18 AM »
And Bob your bread recipe is insanely good

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1894 on: Sep 15, 2020, 04:53 PM »
Sometimes you have to be accurate to get results. Most of what I cook is “taste, smell, feel”. Certain ratios just work. Baking and flour in general is pretty fussy about mixture and measurement. Doesn’t matter if its pasta, biscuits, cakes or roux. There’s only so much wet you can add to dry and have it work.

Oh well..I love to cook good food for my Bride and me.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

gotagetm

« Reply #1895 on: Sep 15, 2020, 05:20 PM »
I apologise Bob not knocking you at all your a fabulous cook and you are correct in breads ,and any thing dough I was only speaking on sauces and meats and gravy I make it's hard to explain lol anyhow every you make looks incredible!

Mac Attack

« Reply #1896 on: Sep 15, 2020, 05:24 PM »
I was trained to be a chef.
Professionally.
Worked in 3 restaurants for slightly more than 6 yrs
Eventually decided to go to college for engineering.
I know.
Heck of a career swing.

Anyway, I have never seen a recipe that used measurements by weight.  They have all been by volume.

However, restaurants do use scales for portion control.  Even my wife uses a scale for her portion controls since her surgery.

So if you wish to weigh your materials to obtain the results you desire - go for it!

Potaytow/Potattow.

👍

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1897 on: Sep 16, 2020, 10:06 AM »
Here’s an interesting read from JoyofBaking.com

As you know, baking is about precision and accuracy and that's why I've always been an advocate of weight measurements. As you've probably noticed, all the recipes on joyofbaking.com give both volume and weight measurements. For example if a recipe calls for all purpose flour, it is written "1 cup (130 grams) all purpose flour". The reason I write recipes in this way is that depending on where you live you may use volume (cup) measurements or you may weigh (grams) your ingredients.

I believe the reason home bakers in the United States haven't adopted weight measurements is because digital scales were once hard to find and if you could find one, they were expensive. This is not the case any longer. Today you can find digital scales on line or in most stores that sell kitchen equipment. And what is amazing is that some brands of digital scales sell for less than twenty dollars. That's about the same price as a good set of stainless steel measuring cups.

Professionals seldom measure their ingredients by volume (cups). They usually prefer measuring by weight, and there are many reasons for this. Baking is not like cooking where you can add a little extra of this ingredient or leave out that ingredient. Baking is all about precision and accuracy so that you can achieve consistent results. And there are so many variables when baking - your ingredients, how you measure your ingredients, the mixing technique, your pans, temperature and humidity, and your oven. Some of these variables are hard to control, but you can control accuracy by weighing ingredients. Unfortunately this is not always true when measuring by volume (cups), especially with dry ingredients. One excellent example is flour. If you "dip" the measuring cup into the flour bag you will get a different amount of flour than if you "spoon" the flour into your measuring cup. This is because flour tends to compact with transportation and storage and there is also the problem of humidity affecting its' density (volume). However, neither of these things will affect the weight of flour. Because a 130 grams of flour is always 130 grams of flour.

Weighing ingredients is about accuracy, but it's also makes things quicker and easier. A scale is so simple to use. All you need to do is  'zero' your scale, place the ingredient on the scale, and you're done. You can even weigh one ingredient after another, in the same bowl, by just "zeroing" your scale. No need to worry anymore about whether you should "dip" or "spoon" your flour into your measuring cup.

Lastly, you may wonder why I use 'grams' (metric) instead of 'ounces' when I live in the United States where metric is not used. The reason is 'gram' measurements are so much easier to work with. You can scale a recipe up or down with little effort. But the major reason is because the word "ounce" can refer to both volume (capacity) and weight (mass). There are 'weight' ounces and there are 'fluid' ounces. For example, you can have 4 ounces of flour (weight) and 4 fluid ounces of milk (volume). Totally different things. And speaking of the metric system. Another question often asked is why does 1 cup of flour weigh 130 grams while 1 cup of granulated white sugar weighs 200 grams, when they are both 1 cup measurements? The answer is easily explained when you think about 1 cup of feathers and 1 cup of rocks. Everyone knows these two things don't weigh the same amount even though they have the same volume. The same holds true for ingredients as density, therefore weight, does vary from ingredient to Ingredient.

Food for thought....so to speak.

Rg

gotagetm

« Reply #1898 on: Sep 16, 2020, 11:46 AM »
That is a very interesting read rg and stuff I never thought about ,a pound of lead and a pound of feathers are the same but totally different volume

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1899 on: Sep 16, 2020, 12:29 PM »
I thought so too.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1900 on: Sep 16, 2020, 05:47 PM »
Went for comfort food tonight. Tuna casserole, steamed spinach and wax beans from the garden.

Might make a stew tomorrow.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1901 on: Sep 17, 2020, 03:36 PM »
Nice pot of stew on the stove. Gonna top it with some dumplings in a while.

Rg

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #1902 on: Sep 17, 2020, 08:03 PM »
Stuffed shells , garden salad and garlic bread tonite

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1903 on: Sep 18, 2020, 04:07 AM »
Went over to my moms and picked 20 lbs of grapes and my bride cooked up some grape jelly last night..

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1904 on: Sep 18, 2020, 04:03 PM »
Mmmmmmm! Grape jelly!

Had left over stew and dumplings for lunch. Grilled cheese and tomato for dinner. Neither of us was all to hungry.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.