FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The opening in Saskatchewan; Splake, Splake, and More Splake  (Read 5075 times)

littleoldlady

Last weekend brought the season opener for stocked lakes in Saskatchewan, so I headed into Meadow Lake Provincial Park, and
picked up a few nice ones.

We were fishing from our 18 foot canoe, with a side mounted electric trolling motor...whisper quiet! 

These splake were between 4 1/2 and 6 1/2 pounds....

What a great way to start out the season!!

tbtool

• Its hard being this addicted to fishing
Re: The opening in Saskatchewan; Splake, Splake, and More Splake
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 09:00 AM »
nice fish.  Do they typically get that big there. 
Tight lines

Todd

littleoldlady

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 09:04 AM »
nice fish.  Do they typically get that big there. 
TB, these are about average....this lake is stocked in "odd" years, so the 4 1/2 pounders are from the 2005
stocking, and the biggies were stocked in 2003.  The lake itself is about 1 km long, about 1/3 km wide...full of
bait fish and freshwater shrimp.  It is also stocked in even years with browns; I used a sinking Rapala 5 cm. in a brown
pattern, and they hit it like a ton of bricks!

The Nymph

• Got Slime?
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 11:51 AM »
Nice fish, lolady!!!  Looks like the puppy was enjoying the outdoors as well.  Hope you and Sweetie are well. ;)

Official First Lady of MIRC - That's why I roll with such a handsome mantourage.
"Honey, I got something!  You better get the net, it might be a rockbass!  Oh, nevermind, it's just the anchor."
I've never actually seen a rally monkey but, if I ever do, I hope he's playing a kazoo.

mttrout

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 11:55 AM »
Beautiful fish!

RLWagner

• Rock-Bassin-Assasin!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 11:56 AM »
You and Sweetie have picked up where you guys left off this past winter. You two sure know how to slaye them! Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing the pix!
Look...Is it a plane? train? a speeding bullet? ...No...it's a Rock Bass!http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u61/RLWagner/th_5d7a43d1.jpg[/img][/URL]

Pigshanks

• Who stopped payment on my reality check?
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 01:21 PM »
Good thing we're on the same team eh! LOL  Keep the pics coming.

ALBERTA  REPORT A POACHER  1-800-642-3800 or #3800 on the TELUS Mobility network (Courtesy of TELUS Mobility)

meadowpikeman

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 06:39 PM »
wendy youre right about being stocked in alternate years but a little off on the year classes, the big ones there are from the 2001 stocking which was the initial splake restocking after the cuthroats were discontinued after the1998 fingerlings the numbers were 16000 fing. in 01 and 12000 in 03 only 2500 were stocked in 05 due to hatchery problems most of the provinces splake lakes were well short in 2005 with less than 50 000 fingerlings for the whole province. the 05 fish most likely would be 2-3 lbs right now as we caught a couple in fall. it should be stocked with 12 000 fingerlings in a few weeks and received 10 000 brown trout fing. in 06 and 11 0000 in 04. only if someone could catch one because i know i haven't.
"Fame doesn't take away the pain, it just pays the bills. You end up on alcohol and Pills"-Fred Eaglesmith

littleoldlady

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 08:07 PM »
wendy youre right about being stocked in alternate years but a little off on the year classes, the big ones there are from the 2001 stocking which was the initial splake restocking after the cuthroats were discontinued after the1998 fingerlings the numbers were 16000 fing. in 01 and 12000 in 03 only 2500 were stocked in 05 due to hatchery problems most of the provinces splake lakes were well short in 2005 with less than 50 000 fingerlings for the whole province. the 05 fish most likely would be 2-3 lbs right now as we caught a couple in fall. it should be stocked with 12 000 fingerlings in a few weeks and received 10 000 brown trout fing. in 06 and 11 0000 in 04. only if someone could catch one because i know i haven't.
Hey,MLPM!!  Good to see you're around.  Peter and I were only guessing at the size; we targeted the browns last year...with flies in the late evening...and
nothing.  No one we have talked to has taken a brown out of Little Raspberry in years, so where are they?  This year...no browns, even in those bays
at the east end....the one by the beaver dam, and the one at the south east corner where Peter found cutthroats years ago.  We're having really good
luck with the splake...hope to see you out there!

Out4Trout

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 08:31 PM »
Really, reelly, nice fish, and the pond looking like a mirror, just beautiful. Always a pleasure to view your pictures. Glad you joined the site.

fishfry

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 08:50 PM »
Nice splake!

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 02:11 PM »
Nice splake littleoldlady. 8) 
Good to see that your trip to Sask. produced some nice fish. :)

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 02:36 PM »
way to slay them! those are good sized splake! :o

Fishing is life

MIRC!

BottomDweller

• team wyoming
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 03:23 PM »
...nothing.  No one we have talked to has taken a brown out of Little Raspberry in years, so where are they?  This year...no browns, even in those baysat the east end.....cutthroats years ago.  We're having really good luck with the splake...
what's up littleoldlady?  uh-oh, sounds like the lakers have been running rampant on the "fingerlings".  finger-sized food for those ten pounders in there
--~~as long as it's just a slow leak... i'm not worried~~--

--~~softwater pirates afloat on wyoming's high seas~~--

BottomDweller

• team wyoming
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 03:23 PM »
nice fish though, thanks for showing.  i need to get into some fish like that this weekend.
--~~as long as it's just a slow leak... i'm not worried~~--

--~~softwater pirates afloat on wyoming's high seas~~--

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.