FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: This one didn't get away  (Read 3671 times)

Otter

• Retired MFF Mod
  • The river is mine
This one didn't get away
« on: Jun 24, 2004, 06:18 PM »

I hooked two in the 6-7 pound range the first time I fished this private lake in East Mississippi.  This one was the biggest one I hooked this trip, caught him on a taildancer crankbait in open water.  The fishing was quite a bit tougher this day, this fish weighed 4.25 lbs, and one was a very fun fight on my medium action spinning rod (which has caught more big fish then any other rod I've ever owned). 

I usually wear large or extra large shirts.  I was a swimmer and have pretty big shoulders and a small waistline.  When I bought this shirt at the Easton booth at a hunting show in Alabama, I didn't know I was buying maternity wear...

fozsey

Re: This one didn't get away
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2004, 06:24 PM »
Good one Otter.... ;)

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2004, 06:24 PM »
Who cares about the shirt  ;D ;D NICE FISH Otter  :) :)
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2004, 09:14 AM »
very nice largey.  :D bet that was a fun fight.  8)
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2004, 10:15 AM »
Nice pick Otter

Otter

• Retired MFF Mod
  • The river is mine
« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2004, 02:07 PM »
LOL!  "I'll take the moo-moo."---Homer Simpson  -Reminds me of the episode where Homer ate his way onto disability.

Thanks  :)

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #6 on: Jun 25, 2004, 08:48 PM »
Why is it we all always catch the smaller ones? ::)

Jigwiggler

« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2004, 04:51 PM »
Nice catch Otter!!

Moo Moos... ::) LMAO!! ;D ;D
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #8 on: Jun 30, 2004, 11:35 AM »
Good pic, that's a nice fish you got der.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

HIMO

• MFF Mod Team
  • Goatboy's- Wisconsin chapter "1st Wisconsin goat"
« Reply #9 on: Jul 01, 2004, 05:26 PM »
great fish Otter.

HIMO
"IT'S NOT HOW DEEP YOU FISH, IT'S HOW YOU WIGGLE YOUR WORM" !!!

Otter

• Retired MFF Mod
  • The river is mine
« Reply #10 on: Jul 02, 2004, 06:52 PM »
Hey thanks guys!  I know there is a 10 pounder in this lake with my name on it, just have to keep trying!

I forgot to tell you guys this part, it was kind of neat.  The first day I fished this lake with my Assistant Coach / swimmer, and his brother also one of my swimmers (both quite talented), and I absolutely slayed them, mostly on buzzbaits-so much so that they both changed lures.  The next trip the fishing was tougher and we caught fish on spinnerbaits and plastics mostly with a few caught on the surface.  I was fishing with my younger swimmer (a 14 year old boy) when I caught this fish, I was hitting a dropoff with a Rapala Taildancer, fishing almost in the middle of the lake.  Knowing that I liked fishing buzzbaits a lot, Jacob asked me if I hated this type of fishing.  I said, "no, it's just different but I have some tackle that will work for this type of fishing and I am patient and patience makes me a better fisherman, and a better hunter."  He then asked me if I was a patient coach, and I said, "well, I'm here in Meridian, aren't I?"  Just about then, this fish hit and I set the hook and the fish cleared the water trying to throw the crankbait.  I was concentrating on fighting the fish and I looked at him and said, "patience pays off."  He later reminded me that I said that right as that fish jumped.  It was rather poignant. 

grumpymoe

« Reply #11 on: Jul 02, 2004, 07:00 PM »
very nice fish otter......sssshhhhhh......don't say taildancer so loud......that is probably the best all-round crankbait i've ever used.......shallow water walleye, northerns, smallies....now you with largemouth....what else does it catch??? ;D ;D ;D

Otter

• Retired MFF Mod
  • The river is mine
« Reply #12 on: Jul 02, 2004, 07:19 PM »
I love 'em, very nice crankbaits.  I too had success with walleye, bass was just a bonus!  I was using the one that is kind of chartreuse, the water was kind of muddy.  I think that is my favorite one.

charlie

« Reply #13 on: Jul 02, 2004, 07:50 PM »

genz_man

« Reply #14 on: Jul 03, 2004, 06:48 AM »
You are a very patient  fisherman and I have seen it first hand. Compliments on the nice fish. :) You and Fat boy were born to fish. We are going to do a check on the susky as primer before our adventure in august if you still plan on coming up. Maybe we can snag a few smallies like that 1 aye?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.