FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trotline  (Read 2977 times)

saquelie

Trotline
« on: Mar 30, 2019, 07:55 PM »
Thirty years ago I met a fella at a campsite on Lake Champlain and he took me out checking his trotlines I remember on one of his stakes he had a brass permit from dec nailed to it. I was wondering if anyone knew if permit were still available I cant find anything on dec site.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Trotline
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2019, 05:43 AM »
I don't think you  could  ever run a trot line in trout waters and  no game fish were  ever allowed to be taken...... notice I  said I "think"  when I was a  kid  we  had gotten a trot line  license  to catch bullheads
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

greensider

« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2019, 07:41 PM »
Don't think they have ever been legal in ny nor is jug fishing

bbfrogger

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2019, 07:58 PM »
I think the limit of how many hook points you can have per fishing line (last I knew 15) would come into play, plus you have to have the lines (no more than 2 is it ??) in your possession at all times (can't leave them out without being in your presence).

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2019, 08:19 PM »
I think the limit of how many hook points you can have per fishing line (last I knew 15) would come into play, plus you have to have the lines (no more than 2 is it ??) in your possession at all times (can't leave them out without being in your presence).

From NYS DEC Fishing Regs -

Angling
Angling means taking fish by hook and line. This includes bait and fly fishing, casting, trolling and the use of landing nets to complete the catch.
Anglers must be in immediate attendance when their lines are in the water.
The use of set lines where the angler is not in immediate attendance is prohibited.
An angler may operate no more than three lines with or without a rod.
each line is limited to not more than five lures or baits or a combination of both.
in addition, each line shall not exceed 15 hook points in any combination of single, double or treble hooks.
Snatching, lifting, hooking and use of tip-ups are not angling.

The above underlined and bold print covers it.
No use of trot lines.

And the law says 3 lines per fisherman, not 2 as it did a few years back.

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2019, 09:36 PM »
Don't think they have ever been legal in ny nor is jug fishing

Used to be legal in NY....at. Least 50-60 yrs ago....I believe the permit was like 50cents. We used to call them set lines...normally just for bullhead.
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

skinny40

« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2019, 10:49 PM »
If you only had 5 hooks on a line and were watching them then you could. Not much good it would be in most situations. Be better off with poles. If you had a steep bank and a little current you could set up trolly rigs with 5 hooks and hand line them in. You will loose tons of bait and have poor hook up ratios along with huge potential for a snag to take the whole rig. I relaese 100's of catfish all year and see no need for trotlines. I like fishing for them more than eating them. If you fish the right area then there is really no need for trotlines.

trapper2000

« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2019, 06:02 AM »
not sure if they are still legal now I'm going to call the regional office and find out  ....I know for a fact they where legal in the 60's early 70's and the permit was 2.00 per line ......was fun to set one  across the creek then bullhead fish  ........

filetandrelease

« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2019, 06:18 AM »

Trapp is correct way back you could get a permit for them , let us know trapp when you call ask for Jim Everhart (spelling)

Mac Attack

« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2019, 07:51 AM »
If you attend them, Meaning being right there the whole time, and only have three lines, and each line only has 15 hook points, they are still legal.
But you cannot leave them unattended.

Read the law I posted.
It came right from the NYS DEC fishing rules.

But a typical trot line you run and check once or twice a day.
You would typically leave it way back.
And trap is correct.
I remember when they were legal.

bbfrogger

« Reply #10 on: Apr 01, 2019, 08:07 AM »
From NYS DEC Fishing Regs -

Angling
Angling means taking fish by hook and line. This includes bait and fly fishing, casting, trolling and the use of landing nets to complete the catch.
Anglers must be in immediate attendance when their lines are in the water.
The use of set lines where the angler is not in immediate attendance is prohibited.
An angler may operate no more than three lines with or without a rod.
each line is limited to not more than five lures or baits or a combination of both.
in addition, each line shall not exceed 15 hook points in any combination of single, double or treble hooks.
Snatching, lifting, hooking and use of tip-ups are not angling.

The above underlined and bold print covers it.
No use of trot lines.

And the law says 3 lines per fisherman, not 2 as it did a few years back.

Thanks for looking it up Mac - thats about what I remembered  :-)  Didn't know they changed it to 3 lines either.

saquelie

« Reply #11 on: Apr 01, 2019, 12:55 PM »
I should of mentioned that this was on Champlain and he was fishing cats and bullhead. He would set three lines about 50 foot long don't remember how many hooks and check once in morning and once before dark. I remember one line having 6 eels that gave me the jeebies lol. I do remember the brass dec tags on each pole.

trapper2000

« Reply #12 on: Apr 01, 2019, 02:10 PM »
ok I had a great time talking to a capt at the Cortland subdivision 607-753-3095...............no longer are permits given for trot lines....how ever you can have 3 hand lines with 15 points on each as long as you are in attendance ......am I going to do it???? probably not but fun thinking about it

Mac Attack

« Reply #13 on: Apr 01, 2019, 04:52 PM »
ok I had a great time talking to a capt at the Cortland subdivision 607-753-3095...............no longer are permits given for trot lines....how ever you can have 3 hand lines with 15 points on each as long as you are in attendance ......am I going to do it???? probably not but fun thinking about it

Like I was saying.......

;)

greensider

« Reply #14 on: Apr 01, 2019, 04:58 PM »
Icejohn you must be old lolol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.