FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle
This board sponsored by
Please visit out sponsor FishUSA.com

Author Topic: MOON LAKE PARK UPDATE  (Read 5846 times)

ICE REBEL

• MEATS MEAT AN A MANS GOTTA EAT
MOON LAKE PARK UPDATE
« on: Mar 23, 2010, 03:34 PM »
For hikers, bikes and anglers, Moon Lake Park is back

PLYMOUTH TWP. – The public will be allowed to use Moon Lake Park for hiking, biking, fishing and other activities, though camping, swimming and boating will still be off-limits, Luzerne County officials said Monday.

Commissioners had officially closed the Plymouth Township facility in January because funding for staff and other expenses had been stripped from the 2010 budget. A security guard has been posted at the park’s closed gate, informing visitors that entry is not allowed.

But all three commissioners – Stephen A. Urban, Maryanne Petrilla and Thomas Cooney – said Monday they agree the public should be allowed to use some of the park’s features, similar to the access granted in state parks and gamelands.

Petrilla said the security guard stationed at Moon Lake will be notified to allow visitors. She cautioned that the rest rooms and park office will remain closed.

The nature center, in-ground pool and lake boat rental are also shut down, Urban said.

“We’re trying to find someone to go in and manage the park at no cost to the county, but nobody is interested at this time,” Petrilla said. “Commissioners are totally in agreement that they want people to be able to use the park as much as possible.”

Commissioners have contacted the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission to request stocking of the lake, Petrilla said.

“Then we could allow fishing on the water’s edge,” she said.

Commissioners have already contacted representatives of the Wyoming Valley R/C Flyers to give them permission to fly radio-controlled planes at the park.

Urban said he never understood why the Moon Lake security guard had been instructed to eject people.

“The security guard shouldn’t be outside the gate telling people they can’t go in. He should be inside telling people to have a good day,” Urban said.

Bicycle enthusiast Chuck Kovach welcomed the news Monday, though he said he’d like camping and other park services restored.

“Beggars can’t be choosers,” Kovach said.

Kovach and other members of the Northeast Pennsylvania Mountain Bike Association built a popular 20-mile, beginner-to-expert trail at the park.

He said he couldn’t understand why the public was banned from using the trails when access is allowed on other government-owned recreational facilities – including the trail atop the Wyoming Valley Levee – without staffers present.

Former Moon Lake manager Clif Madrack, who was furloughed in January, said he is pleased the 650-acre park will still be used but disappointed that commissioners won’t invest $240,000 to return the park’s four employees and all park services.

“The park has to be maintained,” Madrack said.

County commissioners have said they can’t justify non-essential expenses with this year’s 15-percent tax increase.

ICE REBEL

Re: MOON LAKE PARK UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2010, 07:09 PM »
I don't understand this county( Luzerne) you would think they would want to rent the boats and have the camping open at moon lake being that it would bring in money for the county. I know that it wouldn't be alot but at least it's something. With the up coming trout season opening soon that would bring in money from the "trout fishermen" wanting to rent boats and maybe they should think about charging a small fee to launch boats that also would bring in money so the county could keep our park open. Another thing is why would they want to raise property taxes in the county (Luzerne) and then close a facility for the people of the county and surrounding area's to use that just doesn't make sense. WHATS EVERONE'S OPINION ABOUT THIS???

dmntd169

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2010, 09:48 AM »
I gave up on trying to understand anything thats done in this county anymore  :-\ :-\  I can understand not having the boat rentals/ camping open as you then have to pay someone to collect the fees but I refuse to believe they'd be paying more than they'd possibly bring in

The park had 4 employees yet the cost to pay them/ maintain it was $240k a year. How much of that does anyone actually think went towards the salary of those 4 people? I'd be willing to bet half or less with the rest somewhere along the lines ending up in the pockets of the fine crooks we have in office here in the county. Almost every time I was there last year they were all just sitting around in the office bs'ing and nothing else (government jobs must be nice  ::) ) so I'm not buying there must be 4 full time employees to keep up with maintenance
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
       ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><(((((((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

ICE REBEL

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2010, 04:19 PM »
I'm sure if they turned to a company like volunteers of america they would be more then happy to help. It doesn't take much to fill out a slip to rent a boat and TAKE PEOPLE'S MONEY. The camping thing i could see and who is going to maintain the grass in the park and do u think people that fish from shore walk or ride bikes aren't going to have garbage who is going to collect it. I could see where this is going to go the park is going to turn into a big dump. Because there isn't going to be anyone to maintain the park. This county is so messed up.

dmntd169

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2010, 05:15 PM »
I'm sure if they turned to a company like volunteers of america they would be more then happy to help. It doesn't take much to fill out a slip to rent a boat and TAKE PEOPLE'S MONEY. The camping thing i could see and who is going to maintain the grass in the park and do u think people that fish from shore walk or ride bikes aren't going to have garbage who is going to collect it. I could see where this is going to go the park is going to turn into a big dump. Because there isn't going to be anyone to maintain the park. This county is so messed up.

Lets home someone steps up before it happens  :-\  I never fished there much even though its only a few miles away but I actually want to fish it more now that I can't for some reason. Go figure  :-\

ICE REBEL

« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2010, 07:06 PM »
I have fished from shore alot and it wasn't to great but i have heard it was much better from a boat. I have also ice fished it and it was pretty good caught some nice fish through the ice.

salmonrebel

• "YOU HAVE TO KILL IT!...TO GRILL IT!"
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2010, 09:17 PM »
I have read this in the paper today. It's good that it's been open to access. As a fisherman, I would like to see the launch open too. As it stands, you will only be able to shoreline fish this lake for now. The campground will be sorely missed as well, till it's able to open back up for the public to use.
One thing, that is much more of concern.....is the ongoing talk about GAS DRILLING in the park. >:( The county has no right to allow this sort of thing in this public park. Seeing that when the park was purchased, it was purchased....
in writting, to be used only for PUBLIC OUTDOOR RECREATION, CONSERVATION, and HISTORICAL uses ONLY.
In the write-up, that I read in today's Citizen's Voice news paper.....there was a woman, by the name of Janine Dymond. As printed in the paper. She has put together a petition to "Keep Moon Lake Open without Gas Drilling". She plans on presenting the petition to the county commissioners, when she gets at least 500 signatures. As it stands, it was about half way to that mark when I posted this.
So, if Moon Lake Park means anything to you.....I would strongly advise signing the petition and help us to "Keep Moon Lake Open without Gas Drilling."

The direct link to the petition, is listed below.

http://www.petitiononline.com/ML2341/petition.html
  Our 2nd Amendment isn't a priviledge!, IT'S A RIGHT!,... That, "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!".... "WHACK 'EM! AN' STACK 'EM!"

ICE REBEL

« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2010, 04:13 PM »
In a few weeks, Moon Lake Park should be open to the public in the evening, Luzerne County officials said Monday.

The county park, which was shut down in January because of budget cuts, re-opened last week. A security guard at the park has been closing the park each day at 4:30 p.m.

County Commissioner Stephen A. Urban said the park will stay open later when trout-fishing season begins April 17. The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission is stocking Moon Lake with trout for the upcoming fishing season, Urban said.

The county will have a new schedule for security at the 650-acre park and stay open until about 8 p.m., said Urban and County Manager/Chief Clerk Doug Pape. The gate at the park's entrance will continue to open daily around 9 a.m., Pape said.

The park is now open for fishing, hiking and recreational use, but the nature center, restrooms, office building, campground, swimming pool and boat launch at the park have remained closed. Officials are not sure if the park will be open on the upcoming holidays, Good Friday and Easter Sunday.

Last week, Clif Madrack, the former director of the county park, expressed concerns about having just one county employee on duty at the park during the day. Madrack and three other park employees were laid off Jan. 28 because of budget cuts.

County commissioners eliminated most funding for the park in 2010, and officials have said they want to hire an outside firm or organization to manage park activities with money generated by park fees.

Records show park revenue last year was $38,911.64, with $19,746 from campground fees.

ICE REBEL

« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2010, 04:25 PM »
PLYMOUTH TWP. - The weekend weather was perfect for hiking, biking, walking dogs or just enjoying the outdoors.

But at Moon Lake, the access roads were padlocked shut and, except for the calls of wild birds, the park was eerily quiet.

This week, the park is re-opening - at least partially.

The nature center, restrooms, office, campground and boat launch will stay closed, but "hikers and bikers and fishermen" can use the rest of the park, Luzerne County Chairwoman Maryanne Petrilla said.

During the day the guard will unfasten the padlock on the entrance gates to the Plymouth Township park.

"Security is there every day. I spoke with him this morning; he said it would be open while he is there," Petrilla said Tuesday, adding that she will have to find out whether the guards' schedule includes weekends.

"We're trying to reopen it the best we can without affecting the budget," she said. "Budgetarily, I don't see camping or swimming being something we could offer this year.... But it's a priority to get it open because we realize how important it is to the public."

The commissioners laid off several county employees, including Moon Lake Park Director Clif Madrack, and eliminated most funding for parks and recreation in the 2010 budget. They also hiked real estate taxes 15 percent.

Petrilla said raising taxes was "a very difficult decision," but the commissioners could not increase taxes and at the same time continue with non-mandated services.

Commissioner Stephen A. Urban said there was a decision to lay people off, but the commissioners never voted to close the park.

"Somebody has everyone fooled that we need Clif Madrack up there sitting in a park office for the park to be open," he said.

There is no 24-hour security at the levee or Frances Slocum State Park, so why should Moon Lake Park be any different - if the guard is there, the gate should be unlocked, Urban said.

"The security guard should be saying to people, 'come in, use the park, use the facilities that are available and have a good time,'" he said.

Urban said he didn't make the decision to post a guard and have him chase people away, and said the park gates should not have been locked in the first place. But a new guard wasn't hired: "We've always had security out there," Petrilla said.

Janine Dymond's comment on the partial re-opening of Moon Lake was, "It's exactly as it should be. The park should be open. It's our park."

She enjoyed camping at the park, walking her dogs there, riding her mountain bike on the trails. But on Friday when she went to Moon Lake, the security guard chased her away, she said.

"Honestly, they had no legal right to tell anyone to leave," Dymond said. "I can't imagine they would hire people and have them there for months doing something they shouldn't have."

Dymond has 234 signatures on her online petition, "Keep Moon Lake Open without Gas Drilling," and also has paper versions circulating. She hopes to get at least 500 signatures total before presenting the petition to the county commissioners.

"I started it because I love Moon Lake," Dymond explained.

Seanna Oliver, a junior at Greater Nanticoke Area High School, also made an effort to reopen the park. She has a Facebook page, "Keep Moon Lake Park open," which currently has 4,163 friends.

People feel very strongly about Moon Lake, her father Sean Oliver said, adding that he has been going to the park since he was 7 or 8 years old and takes his own kids there.

"We're outdoors people," he said.

dmntd169

« Reply #9 on: Mar 31, 2010, 10:43 AM »
So how long do you think it'll take before someone is ticketed for walking into the woods to pee on opening day of trout since they won't open the restrooms   ::) ::) Seriously, they can't afford to open up the restrooms  ??? ???  How much does it cost for a roll of toilet paper  :blink:

ICE REBEL

« Reply #10 on: Mar 31, 2010, 05:40 PM »
That is a very good point. I would bet that it isn't going to take that long. I think it's bs.

dmntd169

« Reply #11 on: Apr 01, 2010, 03:00 PM »
Anyone know if the lake open to fishing before opening day seeing as they didn't stock it this winter? I wanna head over for some crappies but will head in another direction if its not open yet?

ICE REBEL

« Reply #12 on: Apr 01, 2010, 04:27 PM »
The park is open right now to fishing bike riding and hiking. The boat launch is NOT open shore fishing only so don't take a boat or plan on renting a boat. Also if you read the post i put on here from the news papers it will tell you all you need to know about what's going on with the park. Thanks ICE REBEL

dmntd169

« Reply #13 on: Apr 01, 2010, 04:42 PM »
The park is open right now to fishing bike riding and hiking. The boat launch is NOT open shore fishing only so don't take a boat or plan on renting a boat. Also if you read the post i put on here from the news papers it will tell you all you need to know about what's going on with the park. Thanks ICE REBEL

What I meant is it would normally be closed to fishing right now until the opening day of trout. So is it indeed open to fishing or is it still closed until opening day? Knowing how corrupt this county is I wouldn't put it past it being written its open to fishing without even knowing the rules on the books by the PAFBC or simply in an effort to get revenue true fines for people fishing it when its closed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.