FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Any other Flychasers out there?  (Read 7260 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Any other Flychasers out there?
« on: Mar 06, 2004, 07:02 AM »
Just wondering if there's any more of us here 8)
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Riverjet

Re: Any other Flychasers out there?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2004, 07:19 AM »
Yes  Fish alot of the local streams & ponds after work.
Heaven is a shallow river & a jet

livin4ice

« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2004, 07:54 AM »
Fly Fishin Addict here.  Anywhere, anytime. 

Bartman44

« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2004, 09:25 AM »
Yep. Fish the Delaware systems, Adirondacks, western Mass., Ontario tribs, the Atlantic coast and other waters close to home. Tying some flies today.

Cider

« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2004, 01:10 PM »
Can't get enough of it.  Taking a fish on the fly is the best.  Carry my rods, vest, and waders in the truck all season long.  Never know when I will see some water that looks good for casting a fly in!  I also like to sneak out of work and wet my line for an hour or so mid-day.

Probably will pack up the ice gear out of my truck today and make the switch...

Bartman - where are you from?  Just interested when you said you fish the Delaware systems.  I grew up in NY and used to fish the west branch of the Delaware all the time.  Still do when I go home for a visit.  Also fished the beaverkill a lot.

Bartman44

« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2004, 01:47 PM »
Cider,

Albany area. Been fishing the Delaware since the beginning of time (well before it became a zoo).

It was nice to have it all to myself way back when when it was shoulder to shoulder at the Beaverkill.

I fish the Delaware a lot in the fall now (olives and buggers) and on certain days I still have it all to myself

Bart

Cider

« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2004, 01:51 PM »
Bartman - grew up in Delaware county (Walton).  Quite a ways downstream from you.  Fished all around Walton, Roxbury, Grand Gorge, Delhi, Fishes Eddy, Livingston Manor, Corbet, East Branch, Stamford, Hobart, Downsville, Sidney, Shinhopple, Cadosia, Roscoe...  My favorites are/were East Brook, West Brook, West Branch of the Delaware, Beaver Kill, and Willowemoc.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2004, 07:39 PM »
Well this is nice to see. I live in the Rochester area and fish Western NY & Southern tier.

I'm an unconventional flyfisher...I'll go for anything that will bite a fly.

My favorties are Carp, Smallmouth, Pike , Drum and trout.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Cider

« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2004, 11:53 PM »
I'm a bit more of a purist (I do bait fish too, so not that kind of purist).  I fish mostly for trout on the flyrod.   I will take bass with poppers in late August.  That is a ton of fun!

Most of my fishing is with the flyrod on small streams and rivers.  90% I would say.  My favorite fly (the one I always reach for first) is an elkhair caddis or variant of that pattern.  Early season I do real well with bead head nymphs such as the prince nymph or hares ear.  I also like fishing streamers like mickey finns and various other smelt patterns that I create.

fastribs85

« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2004, 12:20 AM »
just starting out but like it so far havent caught any yet but i wont give up
naked women and beer we got it all in here

seaweed01

« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2004, 08:49 PM »
Bartman,
I too used to fish the West Branch when the Beaverkill was overcrowded. I can remember back
25+ years when I would see two or three fishermen
and consider it crowded. All the publicity in the magazines and the West Branch Angler both  helped
to crowd it like the B/K. The no-kill has really helped it.

Cider,
Some of the places you mentioned in your post make me nervous and jerky waiting for the hatches of
May and June. I have fished most, if not all of them

Cider

« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2004, 07:50 AM »
Cider,
Some of the places you mentioned in your post make me nervous and jerky waiting for the hatches of
May and June. I have fished most, if not all of them

Ah, I know the feeling.  I like to keep daily tabs on www.catskillflies.com.  They have an awesome daily stream report and hatch guide.  Every spring I follow it daily and when the waters look right I make a run to my parents house for the weekend to fish the area!  I am getting really itchy right now just thinking about it!! ;D

seaweed01

« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2004, 09:15 AM »
Cider,
I look at that site every day when they are on line.
They always tell it "like it is", not many inflated reports. Have you every went to their store?  They are good people, always willing to talk and give you
the latest info they have.

Cider

« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2004, 09:34 AM »
Seaweed - yes, I have been in the store.  I liked them so much that I bought a bunch of flies, a wading/rain jacket, and a coffee mug with a setter on it.  I will take them my business whenever I am in the area.  I used to go to the Orvis shop across the street (Beaverkill Angler) until Catskill opened up.  I like Catskill Flies much better.  They do put out very good real-time information that isn't a bunch of nonsense to draw customers.

Joan Wulff used to have a good stream report hotline.  Does she still do that?

seaweed01

« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2004, 12:52 PM »
I stopped going across the street also, I didn't like their prices. I don't know if Joan Wulff has that
anymore or not.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.