FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Dropper flies?  (Read 9010 times)

Cider

Dropper flies?
« on: Mar 08, 2004, 11:16 AM »
Anyone fish with dropper flies?  I have read about it a lot but have never tried it myself.  Wondering if anyone has suggestions for rigging them up.  I was thinking about using caddis fly on the surface with either a nymph or emerging pupa type fly as a dropper.  I think a set-up like this should be a killer during an evening hatch.

seaweed01

Re: Dropper flies?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2004, 12:49 PM »
Cider,
Using a dropper anytime can be effective. I do it
when the fish are taking emergers. The dry fly you
are using then acts just like a strike indicator. My only problem is that I get tangled up at times, but I cut
the dropper off and start again.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2004, 02:03 PM »
Seaweed1
 Man you're right about tangles....especially with my "flychasing" techniques.

Pat McManus, always adept with the written word, refers to "Flychasing" as a description used by his friends on observing his use of a flyrod.

Lefty Kreigh I'm not!

It is a deadly rig though.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Cider

« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2004, 02:05 PM »
Seaweed - how long a leader of tippet material do you use for the dropper?  I was thinking about 4-6" or so.  Do you tie it right to the bend of the hook for the surface fly?  I wasn't quite sure where to tie off to without screwing up the way the dry fly presents itself on the surface.

seaweed01

« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2004, 08:54 PM »
Cider,
I like 6 - 8" dropper and I tie it on the bend of the
hook of the surface fly. And like RG said in the previous
post, you sure can get some tangles "while chasing
the fly."

livin4ice

« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2004, 09:02 PM »
I have found that when i use a dropper I have to let the rod load longer that useual.  What I mean is that I can feel the rod load on my back cast and when I feel it I wait about a half a second or so.  This allows the dropper to get past the top water fly.  It also eliminates the dropper getting whipped or snapped off the end of the line.

Also, I know I just popped into your discussion, hope you all don't mind.  I'm just addicted to fly fishing (i think I need counseling  he  he)

Mike

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2004, 06:55 AM »
I can usually get the dropper extended alright in an open situation.  I have a relatively long, soft arc to my cast anyways. When I attempt a roll cast in a tight spot I find the dropper hangs up after the dry lifts off.  Very frustrating when the fish are near the surface and I'm struggling and splashing around.

Any Suggestions?

love4ice, welcome and please jump right in. This is the stuff we don't get to talk about on the Shanty.
RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

seaweed01

« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2004, 07:15 AM »
Bob,
A 12' cane pole might correct the situtation.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2004, 07:31 AM »
HMMMMMM?
I've got a 16' extendable crappie pole ;)

RG

livin4ice

« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2004, 05:23 PM »
rgfixit,
You might try bringing the rod back a little faster before you accelerate it forward with your roll cast.  I find sometimes that the dropper stays too deep when I bring the rod back slow.  This will couse the dropper to hang up (drag) in the water.  Bringing the rod back faster bbrings the dropper out of the depths and close to the surface.  You can also try a spay cast.  It works well in tight spaces and is used very successfuly with heavier streamer type fly's.  The spay cast is also a more fluid motion and will keep the dropper in line.  I don't buy into the idea that you have to have a special rod for this either

Anyway, thats my two cents (ok, maybe one)

livin4ice

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2004, 07:03 PM »
Please describe the Spay Cast. I'm an uneducated flyfisher.

Thanks for the roll cast tips, I'll be at the pond next door practicing when the ice goes off.
RG

seaweed01

« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2004, 08:46 PM »
I've never heard of the spay cast either. Curious to
hear what and how to do it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2004, 05:22 AM »
Try this link Pete. It's an interesting technique. Looks like a stiffer rod is in order though.
RG
http://www.first-nature.com/dreamstreams/ds6a.htm

Cider

« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2004, 08:57 AM »
Awesome info here...  I can't wait to try this method in a few weeks.  I can certainly see how they could become quite tangled if you get careless with your casting or are working fish in confined spaces.

I fish small streams mostly and there are a lot of places that I am limited to roll casts, backhand casts, and even switching hands (it took me a long time to get used to casting with my non-dominant hand) from time to time.  Situations like this can lead to quite a mess with the fly and leader!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2004, 07:40 PM »
Cider,
I have a big problem switching hands. I shattered my left wrist a number of years ago and  can't handle the casting motion without a good deal of pain.

On the bright side, My backhand is pretty effective. Mostly I don't think about casting too much. I just do what's necessary to get the fly to the spot.

It's kind of like a golf swing...forget the club....you already know how to swing....think about the ball.

RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.