FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ideas on Cork Cleaning  (Read 3984 times)

flynuts2004

Ideas on Cork Cleaning
« on: Mar 12, 2004, 07:17 PM »
Years ago I was told that toothpast was the best cleaner for dirty cork. Is there anything better on the market for my rods.

Rick

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Ideas on Cork Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2004, 07:24 PM »
Just use a little clorox and water mix and soak the handle it will come out looking new.
Coldfeet
Did you put the plug in the boat?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2004, 07:26 PM »
Denatured Alcohol. We use it in the shop to clean dirty gun stocks. Try a small area with a toothbrush and wipe it down with a paper towel.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

flynuts2004

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2004, 08:18 PM »
Thanks, Coldfeet and Rgfixit. Great ideas I will try them both out. I hope everyone will read your post, as this is a forgotten area of Maint. with our rods...

Cider

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2004, 10:58 PM »
Geez, I feel ashamed to admit that I actually like my cork handles to look dirty!  I can't stand the look of a new (unused) rod!  I never really thought about cleaning them before!  ;D

livin4ice

« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2004, 06:48 AM »
LOL Rg

It's kinda like a fireman that wants his bunker coat to be filthy to prove he has been in a lot of fires.  Nobody wants to look like the guy that shows up to fish for the first time with tags still on all his brand new equipment.  My only problem with dirty cork is that when your hands get wet the cork gets slippery/slimy because of all the oils your hands leave behind.

Trevor

« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2004, 12:28 PM »
It's the same thing working in the trades.  We always laugh at the newly hired carpenter who walks on the job with a shiny new tool belt, hammer and boots...lol..Gee he's been around...lol  I always try to buy new gear part way through a job, just so I don't become "that guy" ;D ;D

I do love the look of a new cork handle however.

Trevor

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2004, 03:20 PM »
I never said I cleaned my rod handles...I just suggested a method. My rods look and are well used.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.